PBP Thread: Germany vs South Korea, 27 June 2018

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea' started by Salmos, Jun 25, 2018.

1. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Pretty comparable even economically to France and Italy. Bigger than Spain. And there are so many countries in Europe other than these.

2. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #252 10August2012, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Definitely. The larger EU nations are much more comparable to S.Korea in terms of size than neighbours China, Japan and Russia, all of which are humongous countries.

killaorca repped this.
  3. Colo-Colo62

Colo-Colo62 Member

Colo-Colo
    Brazil
    Mar 27, 2018
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    The work ethics and skills in South Korea are high and fast forwarding. I think we see quite a lot of that on the pitch. If I had to pinpoint the first Asian country in a World Cup final it would be Korea.

Bluewings21, DHMGKorea, iunlock and 2 others repped this.
  4. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    I have much respect for Germany and today's win over them has no negative views toward fellow Germans, rather it is specifically spot lighting the job well done by South Korea to have won against the defending world champions.

I'm confident in speaking behalf of almost all the Korean people, in that there is no hatred toward Germany. It's not even about that. We respect Germany...in fact, what other nations share the combination + commonality of culture (respecting and taking care of elders) and fermented cabbage, Kimchi and Sauerkraut? LOL (That is a positive joke emphasizing our commonality backed by pride for the similarities that we share for you literally hard A people lol.)

Germany is a power house and no one refutes that, unless they are dumb and blind.

Kwangaetto, Colo-Colo62 and poorvi repped this.
  5. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    First off, congratulations to South Korea. You guys played with heart and your goalkeeper was a beast. Also, the Korean players were fired up for this game. The body language gave that away. The German players on the other hand had a very negative vibe about themselves.

And those headers which were saved off Gomez and Hummels should really be put away at this stage.

They are the first Asian nation in a semi final. Wouldn't be surprised if they go one further in the coming years.
    Although, I disagree with you on general national traits manifesting themselves on the football field. Do not think there is much of a co-relation there.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Korean player, who was a second half substitute, was substituted after 20 odd minutes. Is this this fastest ever substitution of a substitute in non injury related case in a WC?

6. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Yes indeed. It's a culture of looking toward into the future and you're right, that spirit sure does show on the pitch indeed.

South Korea has the greatest success out of any east Asian country and what makes it even more impressive is being able to see that fighting spirit translate into their athletes.

BTW good luck to Brazil! I've always been a fan since I was very young..

Colo-Colo62 repped this.
  7. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @iunlock

Sauerkraut is much more bland and less salty than Kimchi. Kimchi is quite spicy.

:p
    Nice comparison nevertheless.

Bluewings21 and iunlock repped this.
  8. Stric_Matic

Stric_Matic Member

Slovenia
    Jan 26, 2010
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Because we've seen this bizarre campaign from certain posters from a certain eliminated team in another group to try and pass off this group as weak and one where that certain team would easily walk over everyone and win.

Even though said team mostly plays out slow-paced, boring, 0:0, 0:1 and 1:0 matches where they bunker down and hope for some random PK or own goal out of nowhere to get on the scoresheets :rolleyes: But that's great, quality football, those of us in other parts of the world just haven't figured it out yet, so we don't appreciate it...

9. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Danke schön. What South Korea showed on the pitch was very inspiring. Wow and that goal keeper, I agree absolutely world class. He's by far IMO the best we've had, whereas I was actually very sour toward the other morons in the past on our national team. Jo Hyeonwoo (our goal keeper) really deserves to get some serious attention by some respected clubs.

The chances by Gomez and Hummels were very real chances. Those were not half arse attempts. The reality of it is that the South Korean defense was rock solid and shut down the German attacks, over and over again.

It is what it is. Out of the many attempts that Germany had, South Korea shut down all of those attempts, while SK landed more % wise with their attempts and landed 2 goals, which in Futbol as you know is a lot, ESPECIALLY against the defending world champions.

I have high hopes for South Korea in the coming years. There are a lot of young lads that are up and coming so the pool of young players is fortunately pretty abundant, which is good for the future of South Korean Futbol.

As for @Colo-Colo62's comment, there is actually a lot of truth to that when it comes to South Korea. As I've mentioned, it was only in 1953 at the end of the Korean war, when South Korea started from literally a war strucken country in ashes. That wasn't that long ago. Fast forwarding to today, South Korea is one of the top economies in the World with leading tech in varies sectors, while being one the most technologically advanced country in the World. The very computer or phone you're typing on likely has South Korean tech in it. Samsung, LG, Hyundai, Kia, SKHynix, Metal production, Worlds largest ship builder and memory chip etc...

Therefore, when it comes to SK, it's safe to endorse the correlation between the general fast paced work ethic and that translating onto the field with the players. I'm pretty sure that was what he was alluding to.

Colo-Colo62 repped this.
  10. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Yes I'm fully aware. :) I love Sauerkraut... especially with some good beer glazed brats, which I actually just had last night lol.

There are almost 200 different type of Kimchi's and not all of them are spicy as some of them are not spicy at all. Those are very close to sauerkraut.

Colo-Colo62 repped this.
  11. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    I've watched literally every available highlight online from all over the World.

The attempts by the German team were full attempts. The same can be said for the South Korean team.

There were so many crosses that were blocked by both sides that would have made nice plays...

Out of all the post reviews that I've watched so far, these commentators give no love to South Korea and just focus on what went wrong with Germany.... pathetic of them to bypass how well SK played...

In fact, if anyone reviews the VOD's you can see that the attempts made by the German's were all full effort attempts that were blocked by SK's solid defense.

These pathetic reviewers from these mainstream channels are discounting the solid defense of SK for German's not putting in effort....

Anyone else noticing this? .... It's quite frustrating....

There is only one video that I've seen (in English) where the commentator phrases SK's efforts...whereas all the others are just talking about Germany....EXCUSES!

12. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Just thought I'd share one of my replies to one of the cry babies that was making excuses lol... sigh ... so many people in denial and not giving SK the love and respect that they deserve. Sigh to those like this 미친새끼. :)X)

So many people are like Germany this, germany that...dumb excuses...

Here's my reply:

"Excuses, excuses, excuses. Stop it already. South Korea defeated the defending world champs fair and square. 2-0 .... Quite with all these blame and lame excuses.

You have to remember all of the people saying that the Germans B Squad could even make it out of this group. Accept it for what it is. South Korea beat Germany 2-0 FAIR AND SQUARE.

All the smack talking and talking down, just Back fired onto all the nay sayers. Also keep in mind that South Korea would have advanced if Mexico had won. All credit to South Korea and this was arguably the biggest match to have affected more than one nation by a ton... Mexico absolutely loves South Korea for what they have provided them and South Korea gained Respect around the World for their World Class performance.

Quit trying to use the lame excuse that Germany didn't play well... the chances that Germany had were very real and to full effect, but just blocked by South Korea's solid defense. The goal keeper of South Korea put on a world class performance as well....

Also, keep in mind that South Korea was missing two key players Ki (the rock of the midfield) and Kim (the Korean 6'6 giant up front)... South Korea proved what they needed to and have gained more respect IMO from many nations around the World through beating Germany fair and square.

In fact, due to the intricacy and the fact that the fate of the Mexican game against Sweden wasn't in their hands, I think this win over Germany has a bigger impact than if SK were to have advanced.

Give respect to where it's do and quite making excuses.... South Korea BEAT Germany fair and square. Period."

13. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    #263 aguy2die4, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    iunlock, i wouldn't get too excited about it.

The fact is Germany's loss, the reining champion and a team many thought could win a back to back WC coming into this tournament, is a shock result. The manner of their exit is also shocking, a 2-0 defeat and bottom of the group. They had the players, they had the pedigree, they appeared to be on form and on track b4 the WC started, and after the Mexico loss they appeared to have got their sh*t together with a win over Sweden.

Instead rather than learning from the Mexico game and adapting, they just tried to bulldoze their way again to victory with a loaded offence and Korea was good enough, just like Mexico, to defend, counter and win.

This is the biggest shock of the WC so far and it is only natural for the pundits to dissect Germany's shortcoming given the highest expectations people have had of them. I am also assuming you saw in match commentaries for the most part.

For me Korea is getting the appropriate amount of praise and attention albeit I only watched the BBC coverage. For now the live opinions of posters here is more interesting.

South Korea has made a big impression and this win is now in the record books. South Korea did its part of achieving the 2-0 win needed to go thru to the round of 16 where had Mexico won, 3 teams South Korea, Germany and Sweden would all be on 3pts and South Korea would have gone through on goal difference. However Mexico lost its nerve after Sweden's 1st goal and lost. Thats how close things in this group came down to.

South Korea won despite its internal problems like key players injuries/poor management and the nation was expecting the worst even as far back as a whole year before the WC started. Despite this we got a tremendous result and bowing out now is not so painful.

Germany will get back to its winning way in short order, no doubt about it. They got the players, the infrastructure and the will to do so.

Can South Korea get back on track to building a solid team for the Asian Cup and the next WC? The wholesale overhaul of the Korean Football Association needed may now not happen because of this win. If thats the case, South Korea had a monumental victory in the short term at the cost of another decade of bouncing between mediocre and sub par performances. Lets hope this acts as a catalyst for change not an excuse for no change.

Pipiolo repped this.
  14. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Thanks for your input. Although it's a shock result, from my observation and opinion based on spending a lot of time reviewing the game play by play, along with taking into account all the games in this group, I hold strong in that the win was no fluke, rather fair and square on South Korea's part.

I think a lot of people are too influenced by the expectations of Germany winning that is blinding them to the reality of the facts.

The facts are:

+ People were getting too cocky before the games saying that even Germany's B Team could get them out of this group. (Well that obviously back fired for those that assumed.)

+ South Korea was missing some key players, Ki and Kim who are legitimately influencing factors for the squad.

+ South Korea did get robbed of a lot of calls that would have been validated with a VAR review in their games in general.

+ South Korea got unlucky with PK's against Sweden and Mexico. It's not like it was a total shut out, something like 10-0 or anything... these were extremely close matches. The issue is that SK took too long to get into the groove.

+ South Korea would have advanced had Mexico beat Sweden (was expected) as we all know. The point is, SK did their part and beat the crazy odds, which deserves all the credit.

+ Not that SK's stellar performance against Germany needs any references to prove anything, but Germany's attempts were all full force.

+ In this particular match, the VAR review after the 2nd goal by SK was unnecessary, which only gave more time to Germany = gave Germany even more of an advantage.

As I've mentioned above, I've literally reviewed almost all of the post game reviews in varies languages and it's apparent that they all share a common bias toward making excuses for Germany, over highlighting the job well done by South Korea.

Another key thing that I think a lot of people are forgetting is that South Korea going into these games were very realistic, while being confident that victory was possible.

See that's the key here...that humble factor and side that a lot of these folks fail to see.... Korea knew what they were going up against and took it for face value and played their hearts out against Germany.

I do believe that this victory is a catalyst for change, rather than being content. On the same token I do think that the SK's coach made some bad calls, but I only came to that conclusion after the hours of analyzing the game for myself.

SK has a lot of up and coming young players that secures the future for SK Futbol, while the current squad still has life in them for the next round of WC.

With this monumental victory over the defending champs, it is safe to say, without a doubt that talent isn't a factor here, rather at this level of Futbol, it boils down to a mental game. SK has nothing to prove and it's evident that they can hang with the best.

In my humble opinion, the issue with SK has been not being able to snap out of the level of game play of lower ranked (skill wise) opponents in order to capitalize on the short comings of the weaker team. ie....

If SK plays a weaker team, they've been cursed at playing at their level.... (freaking annoying I know..)

If SK plays against a strong team, they step it up and we see the potential of what SK can really do.... like we've seen with Germany and other top tier teams.

So the major issue with SK, IMO it's that SK just needs to work on the mental game in playing every game like it's the last lol... because the skill and ability to win over the World Best (as proven with Germany AND other Top Teams) is without question. SK can do it... fact.

I remain hopeful for the future of SK Futbol. Regardless of the circumstances of not advancing (not SK's fault in yesterday's match due the fate being on Mexico) I think this victory brings about a lot of positive momentum for the future of South Korea.

15. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    Of course it was fair and square.

Both teams needed to win and when Sweden scored against Mexico in the 2nd half, Germany had to redouble its efforts.

The fact Korea kept a clean sheet is highly commendable and was also key to Korea winning. An early German goal would have totally changed the complexion of the match, and who knows had Germany won and gone thru, they may have gotten back on track like some of the other countries in the past WCs.

As I said this win makes our group stage exit less painful.

After the WC 2002 Semi Finals, our next best performance was reaching the Round of 16 at WC 2010 with 1 win and 1 draw (4 points) in a tough group consisting of Argentina, Nigeria and Greece.

4 points in this WC would have been enough, hell 3 points with the superior goal difference we did get could have been enough but it wasn't to be.

WC 2018 wasn't a total write off at least.

iunlock repped this.
  16. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Unfortunately my Team Germany did not advance in the next round. We played without passion. Without a will . We had no plan. I an sad. But we did not deserve to advance.

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Oh no - Korea just scored!" said no-Juan ever....

Pipiolo repped this.
  18. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I think South Korea did well to hold Germany. That in itself was a feat, let alone actually winning. They were very fit and determined. The Koreans were constantly looking to win the ball. There was more desire in their game, but they still have problems. Too many of their players are based at home in Korea. The Korean league is not a very strong league. That said, because some play at the same club, there is greater chemistry than would otherwise exist if they played abroad for a variety of different teams, but these Korean players need to move to Europe and develop a career there if Korea is serious about becoming a side challenging for trophies outside of Asia. For Korea to build off this tournament they will need players to ply their trades in Europe. Even if they come back to Korea after having failed to impress, the experience they will get is invaluable. Especially if they get to compete in Europe's premier competitions (top leagues like England, Europa and/or UCL). That's what this Korean team is lacking at the moment.

What I saw with Germany was a team that looked burned out by football. They've played in three summers in the past four, going to the final or semis until now. So they've made deep runs,for club and country, and that has burned them out a little. Also a number of experienced vets who were key performers have since retired, notably Lahm and Klose since the last World Cup. Others were simply off form in the past year or so, such as Mueller. This was partly why Germany looked less dynamic and less clinical.

Those were clearly issues for Germany. But the philosophy was the biggest problem. It was too attack minded. There was no semblance of balance. For example, too much pressure was put on Boateng in the Sweden game. He was isolated time and again. He almost gave away a penalty (frankly, it was a penalty). He had to over commit himself in challenges to desperately prevent opponents from breaking on goal while at the same time he was trying to commit himself to Germany's attack. It was too much. As a result, he was sent off in the end. It also exposed players like Hummels, who's an excellent defender (better than Boateng despite being slower), but he was clearly being pushed to his limits and he dropped his concentration at crucial moments, like when he got forward late in the game and scuffed his header with his shoulder. That was a moment where Germany could have won the game, but Hummels missed on an open header. I don't think he drops his concentration if he had the proper support at the back and could take the game in stride. Instead he was being run ragged and he looked run ragged.

For me, Hummels had the potential to be Germany's best player against Korea. He looked most likely to grab a goal against SK too while at the same time he was making classy defensive plays, but too much was asked of him and he couldn't maintain his concentration when it counted most in the end. The other problem was he kept getting his headers too high instead of knocking them down and across the goal. Instead he went for power. He wanted to power a header in rather than tap it in. That has to do with the German mindset in general, which is somewhat problematic.

The German mindset is to overpower the opponent. If you really want to boil down why Germany exited the tournament, it's because their philosophy over-exposed them at the back and left them too jam-packed up front, to the point where players were cancelling each other out and played out of position. They overshot and over run the ball time and again. Case in point, when Reus received an excellent cross-field pass from Germany's half and then Reus one-timed a volley across goal to no one. This happened inside the first ten minutes against Korea. He could have brought the ball down, looked at his options, and picked a team-mate in space. Instead he played it too quickly and over hit any possible targets in the box. This Germany team never found the right balance and that comes down to Low's tactics and ideas.

10August2012, iunlock and 12th Warrior repped this.
  19. Captain_Obvious

Captain_Obvious New Member

Jun 2, 2018
    full credit for Germany(majority) to lose with dignity, unlike some other countries im not going to mention

20. iunlock

iunlock Member

Team Sonny
    Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Just got done watching the official post match interviews (varies languages) with the teams coaches and simply put...here are some of the highlighted points that were made.

The German coach clearly said:

"...That they (German) were comfortable with the line up and felt good about it going into the game..."

"...South Korea kept going and pushing to deny our chances...."

"...We knew South Korea would be very fast and fast on attack...and they were...did not slow down...added constant pressure..."

"...We didn't get a chance to play our classy plays as South Korea kept closing down the space for us to make chances with their structured defense, so my compliments go out to them for that...."

"...We deserve to be eliminated, yes...."

10August2012 repped this.
  21. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    Calm down.
    Everyone in the world is giving enough credits to SK's success.
    It wasn't a lucky victory. Indeed it was deserved. And I haven't seen anyone denying this yet.

Perhaps you should understand that the fact is that the surprise is not that South Korea won, but that Germany was eliminated.
    For the whole football world outside South Korea, this was Germany's last chance to advance - and not South Korea's last chance to advance. Because they're the world champions and because they have never failed to pass the group phase in their history. In the last WCs South Korea has experienced both, so nothing would be a surprise here.
    So, don't worry that Germany stays in the center of attention even after being beaten by South Korea. Unfortunately this is the way things work.
    The big news is Germany's defeat. Not South Korea's victory.

Now regarding the credits ...
    Yes, SK was a very strong side. Nobody denies that.
    But the fact is that this Germany was only on the paper the same Germany that got the title 4 years ago.
    Before that lucky Kroos goal against Sweden, the only victory they had been able to bring home in the 7 matches after the WC-qualifying was a ridiculous 2:1 against Powerhouse Saudi Arabia. A World Champion that is unable to win at all is something to worry about (and being defeated to Austria after 32 years is something considerable in the region).
    And everybody noticed that in all those matches the same scenario repeated: they weren't good. That's it. No matter who was the opponent. They were playing miserably comparing to their recent (world champions) standard.
    After the defeat to Brazil in Berlin Kroos said "we should wake up to the fact that we're not as good as people think, and we're not as good as we think ourselves".
    They played badly against pretty much any other team. Not because their opponents were strong, but because they were not playing as expected from a reigning world champion team.

So this is the point.
    It was against South Korea. But it could have been against any other.
    But coulda shoulda woulda ... it was South Korea. Period.
    Congratulations.

(but I can ensure you, many other fans - perhaps Brazilian in first place - were already rubbing their hands in glee for this unique chance of facing such a unusual weak German side)

patopreto and Buffonfan repped this.
  22. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #272 Buffonfan, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    @laurasoccerfreak, I agreed with you 200%

Let switch place, let said if that match wasn't S. Korea that Germany against, but it Brazil they against. You know what, with this "2018"Germanyteam, they will LOSE to Brazil too. What we need to remember here, this is NOT the same 2014Germanyteam.

I'm sure if this was the 2014Germanyteam, S. Korea would have a hard time beating, frank as that.

And people keep make fun about the defeated of Brazil in WCup 4 years ago, well, truth is in their face that is that was the 4 years AGO Brazil, not the today Brazil. With how this 2018Germany play, Brazil really don't have a problem beat them.

I remember just read a news yesterday, (I think it was Neuer or Low) admit that even if they make it (as in beat S. Korea and move on to the 16), they said with how they play, in the next match they will get knock out too. They said it, with how they play, it just a matter of time of when they be knocked out. If not this match, then next match, they know they will be out.

Woman here, and I'm in a mommy-baby forum (I'm a wife and a mom). And in that forum there this one lady who laugh at Brazil said Germany can trash Brazil again just like they did in 2014. I laugh my butt of, LOL. With this 2018Germanyteam one? Haha! I'm sure the current 2018Brazilteam can knock Germany out of the group stage too.

It a bummer don't get to see Brazil vs Germany in this WCup.

You might have a different opinion than me, but to me, I see Germany knocked out of the group stage, beside it embarrassing, it MORE worst than the defeated of Brazil 4 years ago. I will say why.
    It wasn't just only knocked out, but they last in their group too. But the main point here is you got knocked out of your group stage, that it, the end, you gone, bye. That is the cut to your lifeline of any "progress" further, period. You no longer be able to prove yourself anymore, you go home. The next WCup roll around in 4 years, and you might gain or lost a generation of good players.

Sure, Brazil got defeated heavily 4 years ago, but think about it, they are two powerhouse facing each others. And Brazil didn't have Neymer and Silva (I'm neutral on Neymer, but I like Silva alot). Despite being defeated, but at least they make it to the "fourth" place.
    Now Germany get knocked out in the group stage, to me it more worst. Bye bye Germany, see you 4 years later. You go home, you gone. That the cut to their lifetime to progressing, they no longer can prove themselve in this WCup anymore, let alone make it till "fourth" place like Brazil 4 years ago.

I don't know about you, but I rather make it to the semi-finals and lost (and remember I was facing a powerhouse), than got knocked out in the group stage (against S. Korea) like this. All the hope of progress is gone, go home barely in the group stage. It worser to me.

And btw, I gave all the credit to Brazil who make it through all the group stage, and being the only team who appear in every.single WCup. And Brazil win a back to back WCup too, two straight in a row.
    And you know how people all say the curse of the defending champion, the following WCup always get knock out of the group stage. Well, not Brazil. Wasn't last time Brazil were the champion holder, and the following WCup, they make it through their group stage? So yeah, I don't believe it a curse, not when Brazil break it, clearly a team show they can do it.

MIGkiller repped this.