PBP Thread: Denmark vs Australia, 21 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia' started by el-capitano, Jun 17, 2018.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  2. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  3. Bafflement

Bafflement New Member

Jun 17, 2018
    This looks like it may end up being the key match of the group.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    One of my favorite posters here is Hyaka, but I really hope Australia beat Denmark. The Danes aren't anything special and the AFC needs some good results.

Bluewings21, Hayaka and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    No team has scored against Denmark in 2018, but Denmark is no better than Sweden, when Eriksen is not playing ... as we also saw in the 0-0 away friendly in Sweden around 2 weeks ago, but even when he has an off-day, like against Peru, he is most surely still going to make an assist or score and most often do both on a good day, like he did against Mexico in the last friendly ... and the 15 game unbeaten streak is exactly due to this combination of a team (and keeper) able to keep the opponents from scoring and a player like Eriksen who is always going to show up, even if it's only for a few minutes... and mainly in the 2nd half of a match, when the opponents perhaps get a bit more tired and careless...

6. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Australia defende very very well vs France but correct me if I am wrong they did not have a direct shot on goal?

7. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If you mean on target, then no other than the penalty Australia didn't have any shots on target. The only save Lloris made was from his own defender. They had a handful of shots off target though.

condor11 repped this.
  8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Didn't show up for the friendly match we tied with you guys at your own home.....;)

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    They got a very pretty good one today .....:thumbsup:

Iranian Monitor and condor11 repped this.
  10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #10 Ceres, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    As also written above, he usually show up in the 2nd half of a match but they had made an agreement that he would only play around the first 60 or so minutes in the friendly against Chile, which is also what happened .. if you look at the last 2-0 friendly win against Mexico he made the assist in the 71th minute and scored in the 74th minute ...the assist against Peru was in the 59th minute ...

11. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    So Australia just need to hit Denmark in first 60 and then sit back and absorb the last 30. Seems doable.

Rickdog repped this.
  12. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Australia looked defensively well organised against France but we'll need to change our approach and control possession of the ball to win. Don't know if we can do enough to beat Denmark.

13. RadixG

RadixG Member

May 25, 2018
    Australia had a strong performance against France but this Danish team knows how to get results.

14. fademan77

fademan77 Member

Nov 21, 2001
    Melbourne, Australia
    I watched the Australian games through WC qualification and noticed that we were very weak in attack, even against even weaker opposition.

We don't have a Cahill, Kewell or viduka type in the wings that can threaten up front.

Doesn't surprise me that we had no shots on target against France. We'll only score with a set piece, or a penalty if one is awarded.

Doubt we'll get any points in this WC.

15. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #15 Ceres, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Ireland managed an early goal at home, but this only woke up Eriksen early on... Australia need to be able to create opportunities and actual attempts on target, if they are to score any goals ... they only managed one attempt on target against France and this will surely not do it against Denmark ...just ask the Peruvian players ..

16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    just don't commit silly penalties cause Jedinak does not miss

17. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm sure he will miss one eventually.

18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    So you are saying that getting a penalty is what Australia is really going to pin their hopes on ?

19. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    naaah

20. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    not really they just need to pile on the pressure and have a go. qualification is in their hands if they manage 3 pts. Apparently they only need to start being worried around the 60th minute mark anyway so they have an hour to strike

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG]

22. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think a big reason why the Aussies were so ineffective going forward against the French was two fold. One, they were playing to minimise the damage, so sat deep and probably didn't go into the game with much expectation to attack (I was surprised with how much possession they had in the game). Two, Kante neutralised Rogic. When the team sits so deep it is important that Rogic acts as the link up player for Australia, as we don't have an out an out striker to play long balls to when sitting so deep. Kante man-marked Rogic ... I think this showed how much the French realised they needed to do that to stop counters.

If Denmark sit deep (well I'd imagine they'll sit deeper than the French) and let Rogic have space he'll give it a crack from distance (and can score outside the box). This then means it opens up the Danish defense as they'll have to shut down the top of box, which should mean more space behind / between the lines for crosses and runs.

The Aussies really need to try to get an early goal I feel to be a chance. Nothing short of 3 points is good enough for the Aussies IMO (going to be very hard though ... heart says Australia, head has big doubts).

23. fademan77

fademan77 Member

Nov 21, 2001
    Melbourne, Australia
    1-0 Denmark and bundled out in straight sets is what I'm expecting.

I just prey that it isn't a dodgy decision that does us in (e.g. Kewells red card in '10).

24. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Should Arzani start? Or just give him 30 mins at the end of the game. It will actually be interesting to see how BVM approaches this.
    I would assume the backline stays the same.
    Maybe we can afford now to replace Jedinak with Luongo. Will Rogic hold his spot or will Irvine come in? And who will start up front. I don't think we need Nabbout for his defensive abilities in this game, but the other 3 aren't filling me with confidence either. Can we rely on Cahill to save us again or is he just to old now?

25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Cahill's not too old, but I don't know he can go 90 either. I'd start with Juric, and use Cahill with say 30 to go. I'd also stick with Rogic, over Irvine. He's got that x-factor.

thewitness and sokorny repped this.