PBP/Post USWNT vs Mexico 6/5

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, Jun 5, 2011.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, so, like, there's a game today.

[​IMG]

2. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Jenna Pel did a nice preview of the match over on All White Kit.

http://www.allwhitekit.com/

I'll be watching how the defense performs throughout the match. Despite being cobbled together and consisting mostly of Pia's second choices, they were quite solid against Japan, and Becky Sauerbrunn was a big part of that. She will likely return to the bench if Rampone starts. Will her composure and positioning be missed? Who gets the nod at left back? If it were me, I would keep Beuhler/Sauerbrunn centrally and try Rampone on the left.

Also, it'll be interesting to see if Mexico can put together a similar performance to the one in Cancun without the support of their home fans. Apparently Cuellar likes to play footage from that semi-final match to get them fired up!

I did a little promotion for the USWNT over on the men's PBP thread for USA-Spain yesterday, so maybe a few will tune in who might not otherwise.

3. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, there is! It will be very interesting - looking forward to it. Hope I'm in this good of a mood afterwards. My hopes are not high, though. Our play against Japan was sad for the most part. I'm looking for something different here - wouldn't it be nice if Pia started all the players who don't normally play, along with the test of Mitts?

4. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah the result is the very last thing on my mind. I'm going to be watching closely to see how they play, from top to bottom.

5. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.
    Time to mix a beverage.

6. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am very surprised at the light traffic in here. I should be heading upstairs to watch . . . but it's such a beautiful day and I really should walk. Think I'll be good and watch later. Go USA

7. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Looks like either LePeilbet or Buehler (probably LePeilbet) is on the left. Krieger starts on the right. Cox and Sauerbrun benched. Everyone else same as.

8. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This is my beef with the "system", she played very well. Why not let her start? LePia'sfavorite. Ugh.

It read an interveiw yesterday and Pia said her initially reaction to Buehler was something like "Oh just another American player, she won't be any good." She did say she proved her wrong, but man!

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer_wnt U.S. Soccer WNT
    #USWNT Starters vs. Mexico: Solo; Krieger, Buehler, Rampone (capt.), LePeilbet; O’Reilly, Boxx, Lloyd, Rapinoe; Rodriguez, Wambach
    10 minutes ago

The biggest question for me is if Mitts is not healthy enough to play today, does Pia drop her?

10. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Engen is not listed on the bench as per matchtracker.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?! :rolleyes: Link? Not b/c I don't believe you (I do) but b/c I want to read that stupidness myself.

12. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not going ot happen. With the good standing w/ her teammates she has and the fact that she's missed out on 2. They are going to hole her up until she's full well, b/c come hell or high water they are getting her to the WWC. She did appear well enough to lift weights in a recent training vid. Many forget the underlying mission of this trip. There's a lot of legacies at stake here. Many of our most popular players in this era do no have a World Cup gold.

13. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Doubt it

14. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...n-at-world-cup/2011/06/03/AGzt5HIH_story.html

Chastain makes some good points. Here we go ladies and gents! Let's get real though the women's rivalry ais no where near what it is on the men's side. They make it seem like there's such a grudge

FOUDY! FOUDY! FOUDY!

Oh crap wrong article

15. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Or another opportunity to throw a coach under a bus:D

16. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God an ESPN production is flawfree compared to Fox Soccer.

Also, I like hte subtle way they blamed Barnie for the Mexico loss

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if Abby & Boxx & Hope want a winner's medal, then they need to be cut throat about it. An injured Mitts will NOT help them get to that final. srsly. If they want to win more than anything then they've got to know a hurt player doesn't help them.

eta: and thanks for the link. I'll read it at half time. I can't watch & read at the same time.

18. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if she absolutely deserves it. Otherwise, a golf cart will do just fine.:p

19. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    There is always a first.

20. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Got the article up. A win will get the fans into it before then send off. Heat v. Mavs and Breakers v. MagicJack tonight w00t!

You ever noticed that the American national anthem always seems to be a better version than other country's anthems. Like they pick they loudest and most clear rendention.

21. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    It was set-up nicely.

22. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    If Mitts cannot play at least a half, she should not go to Germany. I feel sorry that injuries have come at inconvenient times during her career, but that's life.

23. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how many of our college players (or former college players) will be starting? Garciamendez, Perez, Noyola?

24. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

This is womens soccer not mens.

Pregnancy number 2 confirmed! The black market gets Mookie the scoop.

25. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008