Pre-match: /PBP/Post-Match - DC United vs Red Jerseys

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by John L, Oct 18, 2017.

1. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still pissed at nothing being done to the Red Bull Metro F&ck fans in the upper deck who lit off two smoke bombs and one FLARE that they tossed down below into the garage area.

smakawhat and sitruc repped this.
  2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it looks to me when I watch that like he tries to kick at the player with his right foot.

JRHokie repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Some of last night felt like old school CSC for the memories.

4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At most it was a foot flick. Not worthy of violent conduct.

5. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what a foot flick is in this context -- there's no ball present -- but I do know that you don't get to kick at another player, even if you don't make any contact at all.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A foot flick is a simple left to right motion of the foot. A kick requires leg movement which there was not. A flick is not violent conduct, a kick is.

7. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Watch the video a few times.
    I think the concern from Robles (dick) and the ref (assclown) is the forceful use of Lucho's right hand/arm just after the initial contact. That rapid motion may have been (mis)interpreted as an attempted retaliatory elbow strike.
    Of course nobody's busted-up over the fact that the defender was riding Lucho like a mule on his way to the goalmouth.

8. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Well either way it means he won’t be in our first game next season, correct? I doubt very much they will add more games on given then footage

9. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There wasn't? It sure looks a lot like it to me.

10. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The more you look, there's "something", but exactly what I can't tell. Lucho did get clattered into by the defender and it knocked him off balance. What is surprising is that neither Robles nor the defender got a caution. Robles initiated contact with Lucho after the collision and didn't even get a talking to from Gantar.

11. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Note to self: Don't eat goose at Christmas dinner

sitruc and asitis repped this.
  12. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    the other possibility is that he said some magic word(s). The referee didn't seem like he was going to do anything until Robles loomed over Lucho and kept chasing him around while Lucho pushed him away. Only then did the red card come out. If the referee really thought he did some sort of violent conduct he should have acted much more quickly in reaction to it.

13. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #88 GumbyG, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Take a look on a good video replay and you'll see he got blindsided with an elbow to the jaw. I'm not sure how intentional it was, but it certainly would have upset me.

Edit: That little kick out with the side of his boot wasn't premeditated, malicious or intended to injure, it was a purely instinctual "What the h*ll!!??"

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    VAR has been a colossal failure.

15. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    My hypothesis is soccer in general is opposed to video reffing except for a vocal minority, and VAR is intentionally bad to turn people against it. It’s not that far fetched really.

I think goal line technology is cool and good but man VAR is shit. Even if it were good I would hate it

Eastern Bear repped this.
  16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And from my view I did not see a kicking motion. Simple difference of opinion. I am ok with moving on. Oh and FIRE OLSEN!!!!

17. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    Still recovering from the pain of last night's defeat. The winning goal was clearly the kind of goal that a team down one man gives up. It's a shame that it ruined an otherwise great occasion.

I want to publicly thank the club for putting out such a wonderful program for RFK's final match. The cover is very special, and there are great articles about both the club and the stadium. It's the best program they've ever put out.

Winoman and asitis repped this.
  18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    While tied with the Galaxy on points, the Galaxy beat DCU to the Wooden Spoon based on DCU having more total wins.

shawn12011, Murrdcu and Winoman repped this.
  19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I wish I had brought a bag so I could have kept the beer & dirt off it.

20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    The concept and technology behind VAR works it's the people who use VAR that continue to fail miserably. You can give MLS refs every tool in the box and they couldn't do anything constructive with them

JRHokie and Winoman repped this.
  21. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know why so many of the exits from the 200 level of the quiet side were closed and police taped off last night? There were a lot of very confused people trying to find an exit last night since all the usual ones were inaccessible.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I wasn't aware that was the tiebreaker criteria but it actually seems better than goal differential as a decider. However a GD of -27 deserves being paraded down the touchline at MLS cup while the crowd hurls derisive comments at the team. That's just fooking horrible

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I assumed I hung around so long that everything was just closed. Almost everything was closed and they were telling us to get out without directing to where an open gate was.

24. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine has some RFK mystery liquid on the top of the cover. Adds to the mystique I suppose

25. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I left right after the match ended, and most of the exits out of the concourse were closed, and a huge swath of the outside of the stadium around Gate A were taped off. It was very, very strange.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.