PBP Match Thread: Serbia vs Switzerland, 22 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia' started by Philip J. Fry, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    In a contact sport as football, there will almost always be contact.

That's the most lame excuse to try to divert atention, to the fact that Neymar with his "show", where he tried to get away with a cheat (and he almost did, as he initially "fooled" the referee, with it).

2. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, it's what the actual rules are. If there's contact you can flail around, and that's not simulation, because there's actual contact that knocks him down. Under your standard, every player who gets knocked down on a challenge and raises their arms in complaint at not getting a call should get a yellow. That's not the standard.

3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    False.

Now with the use of VAR in place, referee's simply don't make the calls when there should be calls.
    No wonder, there aren't as many bad calls now.

4. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, perhaps, because you're not actually a referee and so don't know what refereeing looks like?

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Imagine the emotional weight on the players. No wonder guys who play in World Cups start looking in their late 40s by the time they're 28.

6. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have a good video? I'm still scratching my head here, since a lot of very good referees looked at it and seemed to think it wasn't.

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Ask FIFA.

:rolleyes::p

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

They are both already holding him before Mitrovic's arm raises.

Rickdog and Guinho repped this.
  9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    1010250752567148545 is not a valid tweet id

Guinho and kennytt repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Clear penalty. Serbs are right to be fuming.

kennytt and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  11. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -Fun game to watch. As a Swiss fan, and a referee who lives in the US, I think that it should have been a PK. Serbia played a great first 20 - 25 min, then the momentum swung in the favor of the Swiss.

I was wondering something else about the match, both Xhaka and Shaqiri made the double headed hand gesture after their goals. Were they in front of the Swiss fans or Serbian ones? The reason I ask, is both are from Kosovar families who fled the problems in the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s. The hand gesture could have been constituted as political by FIFA as it was done by Swiss-Kosovar's in a match against Serbia.

I would love to see Serbia defeat Brazil. Nothing would make me happier.

As a Swiss fan, I am nervous for the CR match. The team found themselves in a similar position not too long ago against Honduras, that did not turn out so well.

kennytt repped this.
  12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was 8 years ago, and I think this Swiss team is a lot better than then. Also, even a defeat against Costa Rica could still see you through. And finally, do you really want to win that game? Winning this group could mean a R16 game against Germany, the loser may get the easier game. But you never know what might happen. Anyhoo, it was a fun match to watch.

It was very tense in the stadium, and on the streets here in Kaliningrad. Fortunately nothing bad happened with the crowd, well so far at least.

13. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, I don't find this that hard to understand. defender has him in a tackle, Mitrovic for his part has his right arm on the neck of one defender and an arm bar on the other as he simultaenously holds them down and pushes off them to get to the ball. ALL the fouls happen before Mitrovic jumps for the ball. Anything after he pushed off to get height is irrelevant here. Possibly, you've got simultaneous fouls going on here, so arguably the ref saw the elbow to the neck as a more serious infraction than the arm around the midriff before the jump. Maybe the ref made a mistake by not using a dropped ball as the restart, but the push off on the defenders happens well before they all go falling to the ground.

I think people saying this was clear cut need to recognize that two ref teams with WAY more experience than anyone on these boards saw it as not a clear PK, and second need to familiarize themselves with how the Laws of the Game work.

14. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 17.06.33.png

Here is the situation when the ball is kicked. Do you give a PK for the arm around the chest? Or the hand on Mtrovic's arm? Frankly, if that's all that had happened, they'd dropped their arms and a PK had been given for that grab, Switzerland would be fuming.

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 17.06.54.png

The ball is coming in. Mitrovic's arm on the neck of the defender is likely the foul called. Having a foul called for an arm bar on the neck would be pretty standard. Everything subsequent to this is irrelevant.

15. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But let's take a look at what happens next: We have his other arm on top of the other defenders's head. Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 17.10.38.png

And if you want the full picture, when the ball arrives, Mitrovic pushes up off both defenders. He's got on hand on top of the hand of one defender, preventing him from going up for the ball himself and pushing him to the turf. He's got a hand on the face of the other as he pushes up.
    Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 17.13.02.png

16. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole collapse in a heap pulling him down after is not relevant, because Mtrovic has clearly fouled both defenders and more seriously than an arm around the waist or a hand on the arm.

I really hate all the grabbiness in the game, and would like to see arms around players given PKs, personally and that whistled before the ball arrives. But that isn't the standard. A certain amount of tussle and so forth is permitted for better or worse.

So, yeah, not buyin the "clear and obvious PK" reasoning.

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back from the match... was probably the best game I've attended so far. Lots of tension due to the Kosovian ties of many Swiss players. In the end I guess the better team won it. Unfortunately, I was behind the wrong end of the goals but got some decent footage anyway.

Mitrovic's goal:

Shaqiri's winner:

You can tell who most of the crowd were behind lol...

The Potter repped this.
  18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Uuuuuuh ... he is already being grabbed and wrapped around by the 2 defenders before he does anything.

Rickdog repped this.
  19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #169 Rickdog, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    So you are suggesting, that if 2 other players are holding an opponent down, he should not make any movement to try to get free from them, because by doing so if it happens that one of his arms hits one or both of the players that are grabbing him, a foul will be called at him.

very strange kind of logic
    :rolleyes:

Next time somebody else that kicks an opponent, you will say that the first player simply kicked at the air, an the other guy just put himself in the path of his foot.....(Oh, and it will also be his fault)
    :D

20. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  21. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Only now I finished watching the DVR'd games, so sorry to be late to the party. I'm amazed at how these FIFA refs are allowing Switzerland to commit penalties without having them called. This one was even worse than the one they committed on Brazil. What is going on? Why are the Swiss getting all the favorable calls or no calls???

22. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to a degree that is ever a pk ever

23. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I don't know, @Guinho , you seem to imply that these tugs of war in the box are never called a penalty. Well they usually aren't but when it's too blatant and directly influences the play, I've seen them called a penalty many times. By the way in this very Cup it happened, with support from VAR. There was a penalty called with the defender wrapping his arms around the attacker, in even less blatant manner than today. So, it's not like this is never called.

24. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #174 Guinho, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018

No, I am saying that the first foul gets called. That’s the rule

1)So, if the player is holding, that’s a foul. Under current practice, putting an arm on a player or on their waist is not a DFK. It has to be “careless, reckless, or with excessive force”. Placing an arm around aomeone’s Waist, not excessive force. That’s not enough to constitute holding. If it were, then Neymar deserved a PK and we would have pKs on every corner.

2) if the player extricates himself without excessive force, no foul. Incidental cotact without excessive force, not a foul. Putting you elbows on players and forcing them to the deck as you push off them, pretty clear excessive force and a foul

3) everything after that is irrelevant. Play stops with that first foul

It isn’t hard.

If you think that having an arm around a player is enough to warrant a PK, you’re watching a very different game

I am guessing you aren’t a referee.

25. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

An arm around the waist and a hand on an arm is not enough for a PK. Look at that phot an tell me you’d blow the whistle.

The arm and push off on the defenders is CLEARLY a foul