PBP Match Thread: Nigeria vs Argentina, 26 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria' started by Philip J. Fry, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Tough luck Nigeria. Congratulations to Argentina.

Argentina did just enough to deserve the result, especially since both their goals were nice. But they also had too many mistakes, many errand passes and have not clicked for a while now. How they do against France is anyone's guess, since France haven't looked impressive either, but overall I can see Argentina getting embarrassed again at some point in this tournament.

As for the calls, I just have to say I once again felt VAR isn't helping things! I didn't think the penalty Nigeria were awarded was the right call. There was more dive than contact on that play. On the other hand, I felt the handball was a penalty that should have been awarded to Nigeria, but it wasn't despite VAR giving the referee no real excuse to not make that call. In fact, I got the impression that the Turkish refused to call that penalty in reaction to the criticism for the penalty awarded Iran against Portugal. That along with the fact that if the penalty had been awarded, Argentina would have basically been eliminated thanks to 2 penalties, the first of which was very soft and the second (while more clearly a penalty) still not really one of these incidents that ordinarily should decide a game. There were other incidents, in both ends, that were ignored and some of them were clear infractions. If VAR was supposed to reduce the number of wrong calls, I don't think it is working.

2. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

or asked directions from Siri? I asked for directions to a land mark in San Francisco. It gave me directions to a stadium in San Diego....

JoseEmidio repped this.
  3. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This

4. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The importance of how often it doesn't get called (I'd say at least 50%) is in that some were arguing the ref was biased in favour of Argentina. The fact the ref called this penalty proves he was not.

For that matter, as others have pointed out, there wass an element of diving involved. The problem for Argentina was (as has also been pointed out) that Mascherano was holding the player with both hands.

poorvi repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    France-Argentina is going to be a duel between the attack that doesn't really click and the midfield that doesn't really exist.

What happens when a very stoppable force meets an easily-moved object?

Guinho repped this.
  6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's argument clinic for you

7. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

You can disrespect us but we will be back. With continuity and a plan.

VAR is only used for big teams. It's BS.

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the hell is it VAR's fault? VAR told the ref that there's a penalty shout and he decided against it.

9. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR negated a PK for Neymar against Costa Rica . . . hardly a big team. It should have been used to give at least one PK to England against Tunisia and wasn't.

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agree the Rojo handball could have been a penalty. However, VAR instead of standardizing the refereeing has instead made it more volatile. Arguably implemented with good aims but has turned out into a complete mess, the worst thing is that it is now being used as a tactical tool by teams.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The two decisions I would question from this game -

1.) This is the ref that sent Nani off for Man Utd in the CL for dangerous play and he lets Rojo get away with that in the box?

2.) How the hell did this game have less time added on than the Sweden v Germany game? If it was the favourite needing a goal in injury time would we have had more time added on? Or is it merely that refs have not adapted to timekeeping with VAR?

All the other decisions I think he got right.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  12. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The force stops, the object moves. And the spectators are completely unmoved by the abject lack of force in the fixture and slip into a deep slumber during the game a la Maradona.

13. Car123

Car123 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    US
    The penalty was to make up for the high boot non-penalty call in the first half.

TheHitman47 repped this.
  14. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I do not think it was a penalty but I appreciate your honesty against your team. People were being naive about VAR, if you follow cricket and rugby a similar system hás been used for over a decade, and from that you could of expected what is happening, it also shows how backward FIFA is.

Pipiolo repped this.
  15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You may have your opinion on what should or should not be a hand ball PK, but that doesn't change the rule.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I feel so very happy for Armani. Not only did his childhood dream come true of playing for Argentina in a World Cup but he also helped them win their first match in Russia.

He should have been starter from minute one of the Iceland match.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh and I love VAR.

18. Colo-Colo62

Colo-Colo62 Member

Colo-Colo
    Brazil
    Mar 27, 2018
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    It is not my impression that the support for Nigeria back home in Africa by any means matches the Argentinian support for their team.

This tournament has so far substantiated that the greatest passion for foofball aspires in South America. The amount of spectators from far away South America tells it all.

Back home in Copenhagen, Denmark, football does not top the list of topics when two strangers or friends engage in a conversation.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #344 HomietheClown, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Many people in Europe are losing their love of Nationalism and focus more on the club rivalries I imagine.

In South America it is very different. There's still a lot of passion for local clubs but when your National team plays you live and die with every kick on the field. So much more passion and pride.

Dominican Lou repped this.
  20. Car123

Car123 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    US
  21. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

The reason you don't see a lot of supporters from Nigeria or Sub Saharan Africa at the World Cup is because many Africans are poor and many of the African Expats are worried about racism and racist abuse, especially in Russia.

If you See the amount of Nigerian fans at the 2010 World Cup or for that matter a home Game for Nigeria, there are Nigerian fans everywhere.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    First, what is that source ?
    Second, I've already posted the exact wording of the FIFA rulebook in the Portugal x Iran thread. Arm position is not necessarily a reason to give a PK.

23. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I hate Argentina, If we get you in the group next world cup you won't win!!!!

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure about that? They may not be traveling to Russia for any number of reasons, but recent news has me believing that nationalism is alive and well on the Old Continent. :cautious:

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Skynet approves