PB&J dance brought to you by users of Big soccer.com ?!?!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by ax319, Aug 11, 2002.

1. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    im pretty sure everyone else heard our favorite PA guy say that, was that some kind of joke or something? what was with that?

2. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    I think it was a joke, based on our ripping the PA of late and the PB & J dance.

3. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I hope they enjoyed "F-bomb musak" chant. I'm not proud of chanting f-bombs (only the second time we've done that in 6.5 years) and especially on Girl Scout night. But if they insist on making the Rapids stadium atmosphere a Chucky Cheese event, they sure as hell aren't going to attract ages 20-35. While I'm not in this age range, it is the desire of MLS (as I understand it) to win over fans in the age group.

Bring it out again on August 24th and see what happens then...

4. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a shame. It killed me inside. It killed my purchase of future tickets.

And was it just me or did the entire "f"ing stadium just get severly quiet?

Just sad! Congrats to the brillant mind that came up with this idea. You shot yourselves in the foot.

5. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I second Zar's sentiments on this one. A lot of us aren't necessarily looking for Invesco to turn into The Kop, just a little liveliness in the atmosphere on match day. It's a soccer match, not a library picnic, and too many people in the stadium don't understand this. Which is a shame.

6. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yeah, that f-musak chant wasn't so good. There are definitely better ways to get them to stop doing that horrible, horrible PB & J thing. I'm still trying to figure out who would be sadistic enough to come up with that wretched thing.

That was my last Rapids game for this season, unless they get to MLS Cup (leaving for college) and I'm not going to miss that dance at all.

7. LittleMy

LittleMy Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Down where I sit, I can't hear anything--the music or the PA announcements or anything. So I don't even recognize the PB&J song. Is it a song that anybody would know?

I think part of the problem with it (aside from everyone else's gripes that it's childish and silly) is that nobody knows what to do. Do we just jiggle like that goofy banana? Or is there a specific dance to go along with it, like the chicken dance? Or what?

What would be funny would be to have everyone do a "dance" like the 30-foot-tall paper balloon men that they inflate after every Rapids score. :)

8. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    The problem with it is it's contrived and a distraction. It's an attempt to create as Zar put it, a Chuck E. Cheese atmosphere, instead of a real soccer/sporting one.

9. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh!! I get it! Everyone else is pissed so it's ok. I rant a little and I'm called out for abusive language yet it's ok to sling the F-word around on Girl scout night. I guess if you're the one that goes out on a limb, you're the first to get hung.

My guess is some people inside the office are petty and have fragile egos.

10. davidfooty

davidfooty New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    I hope they don't play it again, ugh! I go to football matches to watch football not to watch PB&J or Rapid man entertain the crowd five minutes from time. It seems to me there is a certain lack of respect for the game.

I will contnue to go to matches and I will most likely buy a season ticket next year. If we don't support it now it won't have a chance to get any better later.

davidfooty

11. The Legend

The Legend New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Colorado, Where Lege
    You guys are missing the most important point, which is: every time the Rapids play that PB&J time, the other team scores! It happened the last 2 games in a row.

12. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Personally I'm a bit more concerned about the play on the field than anything that happens over the PA and video screens.

13. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    But Mr. Legend has pointed out that PB&J gives the Rapids bad mojo. I remember the announcer saying, "It's 2-0 and it's time for the Rapids to jam in a victory, so let's do the peanut butter & jelly dance!!!" Then they score.

14. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    It must be canned. Of course the field happenings are the #1 priority, but presentation of the product comes into play too. If I want a contrived, forced, Chuck E Cheese/Kiddie Park atmosphere, I'll go to one of those. Bottom Line, it's an embarrasing distraction that takes away from the on field product.

15. RoHo

RoHo New Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I really wish we non-premium users could still have sig lines, cause this would go on mine. For some reason it just cracked me up.

Anyway, sorry to be lurking on your board, but what the hell is the PB&J dance? I'm curious, yet slightly afraid to ask.

16. JodenRapidsFan

JodenRapidsFan New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    E-Ville
    well the PB&J dance, is the Peanut Butter and Jelly dance. this creepy looking banana comes on the big screen and this weird techno like song plays and it dances. i'm not sure i know what it has to do with peanut butter and jelly (or the Rapids and soccer in general), but it is very strange and extremely annoying. especially sense they play it during the game! be very glad that you've never seen it...

17. Worm Burner

Worm Burner New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver
    Here is a link to it the dance.

http://aod.recongamer.com/content/PBJ.htm

Be patient it takes a little while to load the first time and there is no preloader.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what it looks like!

I didn't realize that they keep talking about a baseball bat. I didn't get it before, but now I'm really confused!

18. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    PB&J

I just went to the hotlink and watched that "beyond annoying" song and dance. Tell me please, what does it have to do with anything? Why are the Rapids playing it? I never look anywhere except on the field, and haven't paid any attention to it. The last match, I had an injured knee, and watched from home on MLS Shootout. Is it something that the little ones and moms are supposed to look forward to? Does it hawk some product? For the life of me, I can't figure out why they have it. Maybe I don't want to know.

Go Raps!!!!!!

19. LittleMy

LittleMy Member

Jul 16, 2001
    It has nothing to do with anything.

It's just the same kind of frivolous on-screen entertainment that every other professional sports team in this town has to incite enthusiasm in the crowd.

And which certain people, apparently, are incapable of ignoring.

Instead of blaming some stupid banana for late scores, why don't we ask why the team loses concentration late in the games and lets the other team have an opportunity to get back into it?

20. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    I have been to rockies, Avs and nuggets games and i have yet to see something as stupid as the PB & J dance, i have nothing against frivolous on-screen entertainment, alot of times its pretty entertaining but other pro sports teams do not do it while the game is in play they do them during stoppages, i wouldnt have a problem with it if it was done during halftime, plus i have yet to see anyone actually do the dance, most people just look at it like what the hell!!

21. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Thank you ax319.

If this stupid dance needs to be shown, do it at the halftime.

22. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still continue to have these continuous nightmares of a dancing peanut or banana. However, I think after last nights horrible dream that the figure is actually a plantain.

23. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pepper vs. banana

OK, not only does the song keep mentioning a baseball bat--it also mentions tic-tac-toe. I have to admit, I am oddly intrigued by it all, so since it's after 2 a.m., I did a bit of research on the net. Here's my favorite thing I found: http://etrata.home.attbi.com/flash/pepperbanana.swf

24. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Re: pepper vs. banana

Okay, nowI believe that ANYTHING can be found on the web. Unbelievable.

25. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Re: pepper vs. banana

Oh my God!?!