Paysse: Stay or Go?

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by BenReilly, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, as a 19-year-old, i must admit that veronica is a hottie, no doubt. That being said, let me just add these:

1) she's no shakira as far as looks go.

2) have you noticed many of the interviews? some of the younger guys are happy just b/c they expect to be getting some from her later (and i'm sure she'd oblige). but you could tell that marco was somewhat uneasy when she was wagging her boobs in his face during the interview at the All-Star Game.

3) my family has listened to giorgio chinaglia, big mama, ray hudson, steve nicol, and OZ over the past couple of years. we can't understand a damn thing she says.

4) interviews don't necessarily = Q & A, but for god's sake, don't point out the obvious, like "your team is down 2-0" and expect the coach to give a doctoral thesis. true, they're playing to an american audience, but ask something a little more interesting for us fans.

5) i only wish melissa stark wasn't on MNF. she is the best combo of looks/brains out there today.

so, basically, i vote paysse off the island.
    and take ty keough with her. enough of hearing about his playing on the US team in the 80's (coincidentally, when they sucked big time).

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    What ARE you talking about? You actually think a non fan is tuning in to watch VP? Jeez. They are trying to KEEP you young boys watching. How exactly, would she brin gin new viewers? They "stumble" across a soccer game at half time and say "Gosh, I should keep wathcing this sport!!" Look at those!

No, she is there to keep you watching...and I doubt it works. You watch not becuse of her...and they are way off on this marketing thing. I'd take a beautful woman with intelligence, and articulate ability any time. She must be almost free.

Lose her. Too many professionals would die for the opportunity...and her stupid shirt gets her an in. Sick.

3. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Shes terrible. I cant belive ABC hired her. Hiring her was a insult. They wanted to keep fans away. Her questions suck. Shes bland. She dresses trashy. And in the looks department, shes average at best. Theres thousands of good-looking women out there that could do a better job. Get someone who knows soccer, has charm, personality and can keep a converation interesting. Its like ABC said lets hire someone who would turn off the new fans from tuning into a soccer game.

Gotta go. Hasta la vista baby.

4. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    She is great and if ESPN is smart they will bring her back next season.

5. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things, kasai...
    1) how is paysse "great"? howard cosell is great, dick schapp and jim murray are great. she's a set of boobs holding a microphone. that's all she's used for - hooking the 13-35 male demographic so they'll actually plop down in front of the set for 5 minutes. i've never once heard her point out some good fact or asked some really impressive questions. then again, maybe if i could understand her a little better....
    2) "if ESPN is smart"... true, they've done some bad things with soccer - Ty Keough as color man comes to mind - but this one trumps them all. If they feel like they need to keep bringing in the adolescents, then get a hot woman with a brain. i know they can be hard to find at times, but dammit, they're dumbing down the beautiful game by putting a total airhead on screen. Besides, you don't see the English commentators going down to the sidelines to get updates. wanna know why? because sideline reporters are UNNECESSARY. do we really honestly care what they talk about? they should just focus on the game and shut their mouths.

6. Hey Waft Man

Hey Waft Man Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Colchester, CT
    Of all the ways for a woman to parlay her looks into money, patrolling a muddy sideline in heels, mining for the rare gem of a quote is not the most glamorous. She's clearly in it because she loves the game, and for that reason she should be allowed to stay and grow. Her choice of dress, however, affects her credibility as a serious reporter. While she might catch the attention of young male fans that way, real men can recognize and appreciate "sexy" without needing it jiggled in their faces. More so, even. The hormone-addled younger players might even be better focused on the interview at hand and provide more coherent answers. She needs a mentor, like a Robin Roberts or a Linda Cohn, who can teach her how to be feminine and professional at the same time. ESPN/ABC have a vested interest in her success and should work with her.

Or we could get Carrot Top.

7. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    I can't believe we're still talking about this.

Ok, so maybe Paysse loves the game and she's nice to look at, but oh my God she's not that good. I seriously can't believe out of all the applicants for a nice looking, soccer fan, sideline reporter job for ESPN she was picked. I can think of two people that I know right off the top of my head who I think would qualify, and in my personal opinion, have better knowledge, interviewing skills, and looks.

8. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    She is good for ratings because some people tune in to see Veronica. Yes I know the game is bigger than her, but if ratings go up then MLS gets more coverage. I personally like Veronica very much. I like it when they show footage of her during interviews.

Viva Veronica.

9. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hey hey here...how do you know she loves the game? if she loved it so much, why can't she ask intelligent questions...things we may wonder about, and ask ourselves if given the chance? You could be right..she loves it...but certainly doesn't know it very well. And I bet....never played it.

They need a good looking reporter that has played soccer....then we get insightful commentary...not a bunch of boobs.

10. NJ Landon Fan

NJ Landon Fan New Member

Jun 30, 2002
    (NJ)
    I don't understand why everyone thinks Veronica is doing wonders for MLS ratings. She's not!
    It's got to be a rare coincidence for a non-soccer fan to spend more than 1 second on a soccer game when channel surfing and stumble upon VP in that same second and become a fan and watch games and increase ratings. That's highly unlikely. The people who watch MLS on TV are already soccer fans. The only reason why you horny guys (and maybe girls) are even aware of Veronica is because you love soccer, watched the games, and then she came up as the MLS sideline reporter. I guarantee all of you that you would not have discovered Veronica if you were not a MLS fan. Therefore, stressing and arguing that she is great for ratings is a bunch of bull.
    Besides, her highlights are mad ugly.

11. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Heather Mitts?

12. crewcrazy17

crewcrazy17 Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Medina
    I think that while she is not doing great she has at least improved as the season has progressed. During the final regular season ESPN game on Thursday she actually asked a question instead of stating facts. The questions aren't the most poignant but that's not what sideline reporting is about. She has seemingly gained confidence as her presence is much improved. She is also now actually listening to the person she is talking to instead of waiting to talk. Now her clothes, well that's also the producer's fault. She may or may not pick out her wardrobe, but remember the producer has final say.
    Could they do better? Sure. Should they dump her? Maybe. But remember, Jack is already gone and it would be nice to have a little consistency with the group for next season.

13. DCFAN

DCFAN Member

Apr 5, 1999
    So few games are on TV, so I really don't think it matters whether she stays or goes after this season.

14. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    No more Veronica for this year except for MLS cup I guess. ESPN sucks for not broadcasting more of the playoffs. It is meaningless to broadcast so many regular season games and only one playoff game. :(

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's gotten much better as the season has progressed. I say keep her.

Unless Melissa Stark defects to MLS.

16. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Newsflash: MLS PAYS to put their games on ESPN. ESPN would charge a sh|tload of money to displace their Saturday college football contests.

17. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Dude no one said they had to broadcast the Saturday games. MLS help playoff games on Tuesdays and Wednesday nights.

It just hurts a leagues credibility if they do not have any exposure for their playoffs.

18. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Veronica should stay. Even though she is noticed for her physical beauty prior to her journalistic skills, she has improved over the course of the season. She only has thirty seconds to conduct interviews and I have heard her ask players sound technical and strategic questions on several occasions. I would like all of you rednecks out there to understand that a beautiful woman with an accent is capable of being intelligent and a good journalist, all at the same time. Keep her on the sidelines and try to get JP back in the booth.

19. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I'd much rather have Melissa Stark. I'm not saying Veronica's not good-looking, but Melissa is a world-class hottie. Plus, she really seems to know her stuff. And it's obvious that the TV crew for MNF knows how hot she is, b/c every time they ask for a field report, they ALWAYS show her on camera. I haven't seen a time yet where they just have her talk off-camera. The more of her they show, the more of the demographic (18-34) they draw. Unfortunately, the colder it gets, the more clothes she has to put on. Bring her to MLS for the summer - guaranteed if she was doing Soccer Saturdays, we wouldn't be having this "Stay or Go?" discussion.

20. CrazyMLSfan

CrazyMLSfan Red Card

Oct 31, 2002
    The Home Depot Center
    I think she did fair. Let's give her another chance. She used to work in a Spanish Television Sport program every Sunday. She left that job to join MLS. At least she has good intention. She will do much better next year.

21. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    Bump, in honor of election day.

And stay, Paysee, stay!

:)

22. chinaglia

chinaglia Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Florence, SC USA
    Club:
    Motherwell FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF???! 10 lousy pages of this stuff and not one decent picture of Veronica posted on them. What gives?

23. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    [​IMG]

24. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Why weren't we more thankful while she was around?

Poor Brandi is about as exciting as my Grandmother knitting a quilt.

25. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I concur, Paysse way hotter than Brandi...