Pavon confirms Metros Transfer As Finished

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Ronaldinho11, Jul 28, 2003.

1. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha, wouldn't that be rich? can you share the details? ...i suddenly find this turn of events quite intriguing

2. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Nope, he's coming. The guy on Univison said so!!
    He even mentioned that he'll come for 5 months, and then go to Mexico.

3. Morpheus1271

Morpheus1271 Member

May 30, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    You know...I just have to say that I get some of my biggest laughs ever coming to the BigSoccer boards.

There is no passion like soccer passion!

4. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Would DC not have to release one of their SI's? (Ivanov, Nelson, Stoichkov)

5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought #1: Holy crap, we didn't sign Carlos Pavon! (But maybe we're trading Moreno back to DC for Pavon's rights...)

Thought #2: At least we still have our Tim Howard allocation.

Thought #3: Shouldn't Ronaldinho11 get a yellow card for shooting his mouth off about how wonderful he is even though he was totally wrong?

6. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
  7. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    Re: Re: Pavon confirms Metros Transfer As Finished

Nothing does. In fact, nowhere does it say it's official. It's just that our sources are conflicting the Honduran press. Who knows what's really going on.

8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it's an error. His full name is Carlos Alberto Pavón Plummer... Plummer being his mother's maiden name.

9. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Metros better? a team in mexico do not sign him becouse have some problem whith a injury and is good idea bring him only to see, he is a good player no body say the contrary, but...

10. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Correct. And that option has already been addressed. Hudson has indicated that if an international trialist appeared that was worth keeping, than Stoichkov would become a fulltime coach. This was at the time that Serna and a host of other SIs were on trial with DCU.

I'm curious--how would Metro acquire Pavon? I assume you'd use your Howard allocation since I though you'd used up all discovery options. And I don't know what DCU's discovery status is.

11. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    FWIW, this is in the July 30th Washington Post...
    "Sources said yesterday that D.C. United forward Hristo Stoitchkov of Bulgaria will likely receive his green card today, which would immediately open a foreign player slot on the club's roster. United has been in negotiations with Honduran national team star forward Carlos Pavon, said the player's agent, Carlos Ramirez. A decision is expected by the end of the week. . "

Obviously, this does NOT preclude the possibility that Ramirez may have also been in negotiations with Metro. Both sides (Metro, DCU) have former national team mates of Pavon's (obviously, Guevara for Metro and Milton Reyes for DCU). If the Honduran paper is correct and the contract is only for 5 months, that does suggest it would be with DCU. Why? Metro could use an allocation on Pavon (which would make little sense then to use a discovery on him for only a 1 year contract). But DCU would probably use a discovery on Pavon (and that would limit the amount they could sign him for. And they already used their "special discovery" slot on Milton Reyes last year).

12. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, what's the latest on Pavon??? Tell me he's all but signed by us and not the scum.

13. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

14. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

The way it makes sense for the Metro is if Bradley decides this isn't a rebuilding year and Pavon is the player to put the Metro over the top right now like baseball teams "rent a player" for their stretch run and playoffs.

It's would be a gamble but if a Pavon deal brought some silverware to the Metro it would be worth it.

With the salary cap and limited rosters MLS has been a win right now league lately rather than one where you build for the future anyway.

15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    What a surprise, another gift to the metrostars from MLS:rolleyes:

16. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    what are you complaining about...arent you about to get a first round pick from the rapids for cannon??...go troll somewhere else

17. markitos8

markitos8 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    [r]

Well Yesterday I heard on TV the Univision Guy Say that Pavon was coming for 5 months so i dont think they would confirm a rumor if it was just that

18. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Rebuilding year? Dude, we're tied for first.

Did you get a special cape when they crowned you Captain Obvious, or can you wear the same one your mom gave you for Christmas?

19. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Oh yeah, he'll be another gift to the MetroStars. But of course, guys like Azzizi and Donovan aren't...

20. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

And you call me Captain Obvious?

It was a rebuilding year coming in with many questions marks not the least of which were could 3 max salary players bounce back from injuries or sub par years and would the highly touted rookies be able to contribute immediately.

The success of the team so far doesn't change the fact that it was and is a rebuilding year.

I guess this is the part where I'm supposed to say something like "stick and stones" but it's been awhile. Maybe you could help me out. It doesn't seem to have been as long ago for you to be saying stuff like that.

21. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

It looks like DCU won't be landing Pavon after all due to his insistence on re-entering the free agent market after the end of the MLS season.

It's up to Bradley to decide if an allocation is worth spending on a player who may get the Metro over the top but who may not be with the team long term.

Or maybe he can do a better selling job than Hudson and company and get Pavon signed to a contract longer than to the end of the MLS season.

22. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Metros should sign him. You never know when these allocation rules may change.

He could be the extra push the team needs to become a true champion, not a team that barely won the Cup with a lucky header in the closing minutes of regulation.

23. Beowulf

Beowulf New Member

Dec 2, 1998
    "True champion". Thank you, Captain Moron.

24. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro