Paulo Fonseca: Zorro Di Mozambique

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by L'immortale, Jun 11, 2019.

1. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Where's the lie

2. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Klopp might have finished 8th but he only took over in October that year (if I'm not mistaken) and also got to the EL final that season, something I very much cant see us doing.

3. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Fonseca's right about most things but the importance of CL money to us is hardly comparable with Liverpool or Lazio.

4. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Sure, we have a few too many shit players and have suffered some very unfortunate injuries. However, despite the changes and talk of 'year zero' I have no doubt that the primary aim for the club this season was to finish top 4 again and get back into the CL. As such failing to do so can only be considered....well....a failure.

It strikes me as the talk of a manager whose own confidence has taken a big hit.

5. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #105 La Magica, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Is can force us to fully strip out the players and look at a better model. Too much is made about the cl money. Its not the end of the world for Roma because it can actually cause is to awaken and get rid of the many players we need to.

Midfield General repped this.
  6. tomer48

tomer48 Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Were trying to get rid of them regardless of CL qualification , its just not that easy to offload awful players / injury prone players with huge Salaries. Its not getting any easier if we wont qualify to CL.

7. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We'll ignore the problems and see Dzeko leading the line again next year. This way forces us into a corner with only one way out. Im good with that.

8. tomer48

tomer48 Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I see us coming to the negotiating table when the buyers are in power , everyone knows we need the money because we have no CL fund and we are in a hurry to sell , those sells are the ones who will generate new squad players, less money means less talented players.
    if our sporting director needs to be in a bad condition in order to sell players we do not need , we should change him , but giving up on CL is never a good thing.

9. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #109 La Magica, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Nobody it saying they're giving up on it but that if it doesn't happen its actually not the end of the world. The game goes on.
    Regards less talented players. I do not agree. Less hyped players is more appropriate. Its having a keen eye for talent and seeing good players who fit the managers system that are not hyped up already. This is what a DS is meant to have an eye for. See Atalanta.

Start looking for players in eg Romania, Holland, Norway, Belgium, France, Austria etc etc you get the point. Playing for random teams across the league. Not the bigger clubs. There you will find talent mixed with hunger mixed with humility. That is what Roma need for a change.
    That is also a model of what Manchester United need btw but cannot see it. Instead they throw away a billion pounds. You can build a low budget skilled team that fit a managers system that can grow over a 3-5 year period without selling each year and adding pieces as you go to improve. This is a way forward for a club of Roma's financial instability.

They already have the quality. Roma can give them the platform to turn into the star player you think champions league players are.

So I have no fear of no champions league and it meant fully fitting the squad, taking losses and it getting ugly in the moment. Because I can see a long term plan out of it. Some cant look beyond their nose. I would take the fresh start inside of limping forward.

Vulpinous repped this.
  10. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    25629937-6809-41D1-897B-F5EF69D25E83.jpeg

Andreas and whill4 repped this.
  11. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Andreas repped this.
  12. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ah I just don't see it unless someone with money buys the club soon, we practically had to go for Fonseca because of his relatively low wages and Poch was on 8.5 million at Tottenham!

Spalletti seems like the only decent option if Fonseca does get the boot...

13. joshuacoppolino

Jun 20, 2015
    If Fonseca gets sacked for spalletti I’ll lose so much respect for this club.. how can you blame the guy when he barely had a healthy team all year and now going through all of this with covid...

Shen-O repped this.
  14. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Klopp had proven record, with Dortmund winning two Bundesliga titles and reaching CL Final.
    Not that I am calling for Fonseca dismissal, as I think the current problem is more of players level than coaching. And no good coach option out there.

15. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
  16. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Fonseca finishes the years with 70 points, and 5th place. 4 more points than last year. We had 2 3 game losing streaks (one before the restart and one after). He managed the steer the ship right both times. He started the restart with 1 win and 3 losses in 4 games, and it looked like the wheels were falling off. Then he had the idea to switch to a 3421 and the team went onto win 8 games out of 9 and the one draw we dominated but Spinazzola had a brainfart. What impressed me the most is the amount of times we went down a goal and didn't have a complete meltdown and went on to win the game.

[​IMG]

tmontana52, HeadBurn3r, decola and 4 others repped this.
  17. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    [​IMG]

Your wet dream is dead.

Shen-O and Midfield General repped this.
  18. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Don’t worry, he’s waiting right around the corner.

La Magica and Midfield General repped this.
  19. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Haakon24 repped this.
  20. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fonseca isn’t the problem, but Rangnick would be a godsend. Would likely mean no Petrachi though.

22. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
  23. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have loved Poch before but I don’t want ANOTHER coaching change.

24. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I won't say no to Poch, but I feel that would be harsh on Fonseca.

Indian_Gladiator, whill4 and Shen-O repped this.
  25. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I think Fonseca deserves another season, especially after the run in we had. If we get someone like Poch (fat chance) I’d be ok with it though.