Paulo Fonseca: Zorro Di Mozambique

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by L'immortale, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
    1386664998588530689 is not a valid tweet id

1386666457891758082 is not a valid tweet id

Interesting

2. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Sarri would be a mistake imo. He doesn't have the temperament to last more than 2 seasons, and then we'll be right back to square one.

Indian_Gladiator and Oban14 repped this.
  3. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020

Pedulla broke the Sarri to Chelsea news. They seem to have a relationship.

4. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    this is the big worry, don’t doubt his footballing acumen but Roma is another beast... but at Chelsea he was under a lot of pressure by the media and fans and still brought home a trophy so who knows

5. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Sarri is our best option because Allegri doesn’t seem very much interested.

6. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is another option...
    [​IMG]

Indian_Gladiator and Andreas repped this.
  7. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
    He’s going to Napoli.

8. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020

I’m conflicted, who should I believe here, the mouth breathers on here like Capitano, or Miki?

9. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He has 3 games to save his job or he'll be gone.

10. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
    He’s gone either way.

shiboboo repped this.
  11. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You know where I stand. Its for the best for Roma if that happens. But let's say in the very slim chance Roma perform well and play football on their way to winning the europa league. That's a hard push out the door in that case.

12. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
    The Friedkin's want their own guy. They haven't initiated in contract negotiations with him at all yet for a reason. They started talking with Sarri's lawyer in January.

13. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
  14. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He needs a miracle to go past Manchester United. It will be two years in a row he misses to qualify us to CL. We cannot give him a third-year chance. That's too much, none of Enrique or Zeman got two years.

15. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn’t shock me at all if he’s replaced as soon as he’s back in Rome. There’s really nothing to lose at this point. Might as well roll the dice with someone else in the second leg.

16. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Enrique should have. Our ultra successful history of binning coaches continues...

DOctore13 repped this.
  17. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
  18. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I also thought Zeman was the biggest shit manger Roma ever had, Fonseca is getting very close to that.

What will Sarri achieve with such a shit team??

19. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Absolutely agree, never understood the fascination with his Gung Ho tactics - there was never any balance to his madness.

Trained players into the ground - to the point of hatred. Hugely overrated. Won nothing throughout his entire career bar Serie B - big deal. People on here treat him like some sort of god - exciting tactics and brand of football….yeah was great being humiliated by Juve, Inter each season. Clowns.

Granted, he did improve Totti’s all round game, I’ll give him that.

LordNelson repped this.
  20. Oban14

Oban14 Member+

Jul 5, 2006
    Illinois
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Didn't Enrique quit after 1 year? He wasn't fired so I don't understand including him in your argument. I am not disagreeing with your post though just curious why you included him.

21. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If you think enrique would have been allowed to make it two years, then I've got some prime land you can buy.

Villar14 repped this.
  22. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Zeman at his peak, late 90s with us was going to land a big club after Roma. He spoke out against Juve, the first to say it and his career stalled. He deserves the utmost respect for having the balls to call it as it was. There is nothing wrong with making players run in preseason. Bunch of soft lads think they're above running today. Meanwhile you see our squad cant last 45 mins come the end of the season.

Henchag, ErPupone and Big Bad Wolf repped this.
  23. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    van Bronckhorst is an interesting option, but so is De Zerbi who has several seasons of Serie A experience - mostly positive - despite his youth.

Nevertheless, I suspect Friedkin wants to reduce the margin for failure as far as possible and will eventually - or already has - choose Sarri because although 62 he only started coaching about a decade ago and is therefore less saturated than other coaches his age.

He also brings the likelihood of attractive football and he has had success before both domestically and in Europe. Importantly, as he showed at Empoli and Napoli, he can work well on a relatively modest budget.

Sarri would represent the best coaching appointment we could make probably since we took Capello.

24. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I’m not talking about him calling out Rube…which I admired also.

I’m talking about his specific tactics and training regime which ultimately won him nothing in top flight football. You can play all the beautiful football you want but if it wins you nothing then why bother? I hated Roma under Zeman - especially his second stint - which was like watching a circus act.

Don’t get me wrong - most of our current players deserve the Zeman treatment, but guaranteed it would divide the camp even more than it is now.

LordNelson repped this.
  25. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    My abiding memory of Zemans second stint was that if our finishing wasnt so generally poor that season, we might have fared a lot better league position-wise.

I have no idea the actual numbers, but I imagine the difference between our expected goals and actual goals was sizeable.

wm72, Henchag and La Magica repped this.