Paulo Fonseca: Zorro Di Mozambique

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by L'immortale, Jun 11, 2019.

1. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mazzarri or bust

2. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
  3. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain

decola repped this.
  4. Bizubani

Bizubani Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Club:
    AS Roma
    When are we going to renew Fonseca?

If we can manage to keep the core of the team through to next season, I really feel like he needs to be here to oversee it.

5. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It's a missed opportunity how they didn't reassure us that losing to every club that pays more than a minimum wage to their players is ultimately a sign of improvement too.

7. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
    [​IMG]

Go look at our wages. We pay alot of guys a shitload of money to not play or just flat out suck, besides Miki. Pastore 4.5, Smalling 3.8, Fazio 2.5 Zaniolo 2.5m, Jesus 2.2, Perez 2. That's 35m in wages for guys who haven't contributed anything this year. Not even to include Dzeko and Pedro on 7.5m and 3m who we pay 21m to be useless. Use your brain please.

8. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If you look into the table you'll probably notice how the other 19 clubs and 19 coaches have to deal with the same problems, as you can never field all 25 main squad players in the field at the same time.

News flash you brainful fanatic - every Roma coach since the beginning had to use less players per match that the overall wages are paying for.

You can bend backwards and kiss your *ss in the effort, but you can't bend the truth to a level that makes Fonseca anything short of a joker coach.

LordNelson repped this.
  9. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020

Roma are also interested in replacing Dzeko with Mbappe.

ErPupone, shiboboo, whill4 and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I declare war upon everyone who thinks Fonseca should stay.

11. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I've moved my response over here, as it's more general and we're beyond the Napoli game.

My defense of Fonseca has nothing do with him, personally. As I've said before (not that it matters), I would have returned to a back 4 with 3 midfielders a while ago, be that as a 433 or back to 4231. The reason to move to a back 3 was our lack of depth in midfield and defensive frailties (and supposedly a desire to placate a portion of the squad, depending on if you believe that reporting), when we ran into a poor string of performances after the hot start with 4231.

Broadly, I believe Fonseca is a better coach than our team is constructed this year. Putting aside personal reasons, just based on performances, I can't justify firing a manager who I believe is getting near the maximum out of the available talent. This squad is closer to Hellas, Lazio and Sassuolo than Juve, Napoli, and Inter. Of sides ahead of us in table, Atalanta and Milan are closer in overall squad talent, but have better peak performers in key positions. So already, based on talent, that puts us fifth, at best. Let's account for some amount of disagreement/variablity/volatility and say we have the 4th best squad, which makes 4-7 our realistic range of outcomes. Where have we been most of the season? Right around 4th. So in my estimation, we're pretty much at our ceiling, meaning Fonseca is extracting the maximum.

You can quibble about substitutions in certain matches, setups in certain matches, etc. All fair, but in the end, points are points. And getting 5th by beating Milan and Atalanta but losing/drawing to more lower sides is just a different brand of frustrating (one we're more accustomed to).

I don't buy the Fonseca can't win big games thing. Sure, this year has been bad, but we took points last season with a squad that was, once again, weaker than our CL contenders. So yes, with a fit and back to his best Zaniolo and a competent starting striker (apologies to Mayoral who I think is an admiral backup and rotation striker), we would be much better off. Does that qualify as all good? I don't know, but I see how Fonseca has kept this team going when he has no Zaniolo (our best player and only game-winner), no strikers to speak of, and kids in midfield and central defense who haven't played full seasons worth of minutes at top level before and I think he's more than earned the shot to continue to work with management and evolve the squad.

Oban14 repped this.
  12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Agreed with wolf, youre a good poster on the board. I just think you have this one badly wrong.

You can quibble about substitutions in certain matches, setups in certain matches, etc. All fair, but in the end, points are points. And getting 5th by beating Milan and Atalanta but losing/drawing to more lower sides is just a different brand of frustrating (one we're more accustomed to).

This being a major one. Flip the script and its not just quibbling over where points come form. It shows a manager who can out perform a tough opponent with better players. It shows a manager who deserves time because we can then argue with evidence that he's a man who needs better players. If you were arguing for this then I would be beside you. That was Rudi's situation you lumped together with Fonseca who is a different case. Fonseca is there or there abouts in the right position with the squad he has available but that alone should not be enough going ahead given his obvious flaws.

Henchag repped this.
  13. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We cannot go missing CL 2 years in a row with Fonseca, and he gets to keep his job. Can't happen. That's enough chances. Either win EL or improve in the league which I am both doubtful of.

La Magica repped this.
  14. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020

15. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
  16. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure Roma has the type of players to fit Sarri. Maybe he could turn Kluivert, Under and Perez into the wide players he would need.

17. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
    He seems to think we do(according to Austini).

18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, I'm sure he knows better than me what type of players he can use. I'm not opposed to Sarri, I'm just not sure he's a big upgrade.

Now Allegri, I'd pack Fonseca's bags for Allegri. That said I doubt very much we are going to commit to the type of transfer and wage budget he's going to want.

19. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020

Sarri wants to come to Rome badly.

20. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020

Italian retards worldwide humiliated

21. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Thoughts on Mourinho if Fonseca gets fired? lol

22. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
  23. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Up until last year I was totally opposed to Jose as a manager but I have changed on him. The game hasn't passed him by like some critics are now claiming. The crybaby nature of his social media footballers has caused his biggest issue but that doesn't mean he couldn't build a squad of the right characters again.

24. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nice to see you back Henchag, but I don't think this squad of guys is good enough to get 4th. Not when we have European play.

If it was just the Serie A, I'd give us a 50/50 shot.

Henchag and decola repped this.
  25. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020