Paul Scholes retires.

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by Dark Savante, May 31, 2011.

1. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Legend.

Thanks for posting those quotes. Having so many players and managers rate him so highly is absolutely the most credible source to refer people to who dont really understand the greatness of Paul Scholes.

This news was expected, but very sad indeed. :(

2. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ginger Ninja.....hard tackles...hard shots......hard to replace.....

18 SCHOLES=LEGEND

3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Robbo, Keano and Scholes my three fave United players.

Am really pleased he has retired though. Thought Gaz went on for too long and was a shame to see that tarnish his legacy. Scholes has not been the same last few years, but whenever he came on esp. as sub you could see what he had that others lacked. Even against Barca, it looks so simple, pass drop off move. Such a vital job that nobody else in our current midfield do. Fulcrum, hub, focus, glue, outlet of whole team.

His shooting was Charltonesque. His heading was also awesome, especially for a shortie.

Love Keano comment when asked about nice guy Scholes accidental mistimed tackles - "no, he's nasty".

As Birol said, to see them push him out left which as good as forced his retirement for England was nothing short of criminal. As an Englishmen I weep that we wasted the best midfielder in England since Robbo. Respected far more on the continent who placed him far above the England under achievers Lamps and Gerra.

Thank you Scholesie.

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    This is a good thing.

5. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've been avoiding this site since Friday. I've gone through a lot of emotion since then, up and down, like most of you have as well I'm sure.

I've barely read through any of the threads or posts since Friday. Partly by my own design, and partly due to me being so busy at work. But i did want to say my quick peace in here. I read an article on manutd.com today, and this paragraph pretty much sums up how I'm feeling right now; about both Scholesy and our club in general.

Especially the section in bold.

"There will also be plentiful players tipped to fill the great man’s boots, but they can’t. Just as the hunt for the new Roy Keane was called off, the search for the new Paul Scholes is doomed to failure. United must evolve, rather than attempt to replace the irreplaceable."

I will try to read through some of the threads in the coming days. Chat soon fellas.

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I get caught way too easily in confrontations with these dolts..

..too much stress!!!

7. herm2020

herm2020 Member

Nov 30, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    LEGEND!!! One of my all time favorites. I heard he's going to have some kind of coaching role at the club. Good luck to him.

8. Ruud the Dude

Ruud the Dude New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There are no words.

:(

9. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    no matter how much i expected this news, there was still a sense of disbelief when i saw the headlines. i'm happy for him that he's able to leave on his own terms and glad for the club since he's staying on in some capacity.

i do agree with the notion that it's time and it's ultimately good for the club to move on.

i made my peace with it when i cried like a baby after seeing him in iniesta's shirt after the final.

goodness, the man was a joy to watch. all of those quotes from some of the top names in the game pretty much sums it up. we're lucky to have had him on our team.

10. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton has added his own glowing tribute to the plaudits paid to newly-retired Paul Scholes.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6961294,00.html

11. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Unlike the other coaches, Scholes can display perfect form in extreme aspects repeatedly, which is something his charges can try to mimic even if he doesn't utter a word.

What's good about someone like Scholes as opposed to the Zidane's, Maradona's etc is that what he primarily does, anyone can try. Obviously when you add on all the extras, it becomes difficult, but at a fundamental level of just playing the game correctly, he gives a masterclass. If he's as much of a stickler as coach as he was said to be in training, I can imagine him making those he coaches do things until he feels they are right or acceptable. I can't begin to imagine how much that would improve a player by simple muscle memory alone.

I'd also say that because of his stature, the few words he would say would be dwelt on a lot more than those from other coaches. The bid to please Scholes would be greater than for coaches who haven't got world renown. Pretty much like how Simon Cowell seems to be the only judge on a panel when there's 3 more giving their opinion. If Scholes was on the open market as a coach, I think every top club in Europe would be sounding him out for a move.

I'd hazard a guess that when Scholes comments on things his few words will be heeded in a bid to win his approval. Not exaggerating when I say I think he will be an idol in-house for us.

13. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Brilliant player. Genius, even. He will be extremely sorely missed. His passing, his vision, his calmness on the ball. I've never seen a better two-touch player in my life.

Hope he enjoys the retirement.

Legend.

14. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thank you god for letting me witness the wonder that is Paul Scholes. Best midfielder of his generation. A model human being. The guy could hit the wings off a butterfly from sixty yards. The best passer of the ball i have ever witnessed....I can't even write anymore without tearing -_____-
    THANK YOU PAUL SCHOLES; THE GINGER NINJA

15. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    I am going to truly miss Paul Scholes. My favourite United player when Beckham left, now my favourite football player period.

To me, there is no bigger compliment than when your peers laud you, imitate you, and credit you. Paul Scholes was that player. Xavi wouldn't be Xavi without him and that says all you need to know.

******** me, I'm sad.

16. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would love it if any of the old timers do a write up on Scholes.....

17. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Great player and great career. Not everyday you see a player with his class. Too bad we didn't get a chance to see a "Scholes tackle" vs Barcelona :D

18. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    DS' Understanding Scholes thread is as good as it gets and enough I believe.

19. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    ^ Agreed.

I am legitimately depressed about his retirement. It's one of those things for me where I stop thinking about it because I'm busy with something, and then once I stop being busy it's the first thing that enters my mind. When it does I get sad.

If he were to leave for another club that would be one thing - at least I'd still get to see him play - but now he's done and gone. He was such a joy to watch. To make everyone around you better is one of the most understated qualities in an athlete (hell, in a person). He did that pretty much every single time he was on the field.

20. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    There's one funny but ominously true peice of commentary by the MUTV crew. It was after Paul Scholes scored that amazing volley @ Villa Park. While celebrating, Paddy Crerand said something along the lines of:

[After the color commentary guy says what an amazing goal]

And really thats just a testament to his quality. The truth is, everyone of us probably thought that shot was going in when it was falling to him. We DO expect such quality from Paul Scholes, and if you dont, then you really need to pick up a new sport.

Lets just revisit for a moment. Unfortunately, i cant find that particular sound bit that I described above.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQXrMbArqSs"]YouTube - ‪Scholes VS Aston Villa‬‏[/ame]

21. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, I remember what you're talking about on the MUTV commentary.

Those goals man.....he was a brilliant passer obviously, but those long range screamers are just f**kin thrilling. Bradford, Villa, Chelsea....unbelievable.

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There was a Scholes compilation that was floating around years ago, that mentioned something about rocket launchers incorporated. :D

23. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I keep rewinding it.

24. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duMp0_ou0zk"]YouTube - ‪Paul Scholes interview from 95/96 season‬‏[/ame]

25. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005