Paul Riley to Coach NY Fury

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by msilverstein47, Mar 14, 2012.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The New York Fury began to take shape on Tuesday, as the Women's Premier Soccer League team announced the club's first signings -- former captains from a pair of Women's Professional Soccer League teams and welcoming home a Long Island soccer standout.

Former Sky Blue FC captain and defender Brittany Taylor and ex-Philadelphia Independence captain and midfielder Nikki Kryzik joined the club as did Massapequa, N.Y. native and midfielder Tina DiMartino, who also played in Philly.

Kryzik, 24, was named captain by Fury coach Paul Riley, who also directed the Independence the past two season.

"I have tremendous belief in her ability to galvanize the team, and her ability to perform at the top level day In day out," Riley said.

Taylor, 24, played with U.S. National Team at the U-17, U-20, U-23 and senior level and won a silver medal at the 2007 Pan-Am Games. A graduate of Washingtonville H.S., Taylor also played for the Albertson Fury under Riley.

"Britt is finally coming home. We had agreed terms with her in Philadelphia but with WPS on hiatus it is a great opportunity to bring many of the 'cheesesteaks' to New York," Riley said. "Britt is a fantastic athlete whose experience And physicality will add another dimension to our back four. She will love the training environment and will thrive in our culture."

DiMartino, 25, is eldest of four sisters who have excelled in soccer through various U.S. national teams. They include Gina, Vicki and Rosie. A former member of the Long Island Fury (WPSL) who also played for Riley, DiMartino also has played with FC Gold Pride and Saint Louis Athletica.

"Tina was a thoroughbred in Philadelphia and her skill, talent add one-on-one
    ability will make her an instant hit with the New York fans," Riley said. "She is national team caliber midfielder and hopefully the New York Fury can open the doors for her to play with the full WNT on a daily basis."

3. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope w/ the new NT coach that Brittany Taylor, Christina and Gina DiMartino get serious looks.

4. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gina better move from forward, but it isn't happening with the USWNT, and MF isn't much better. She needs to get a ticket to Germany or Sweden for a couple of years.

5. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Gina's been buried in the Philly front line pecking order for two years, but the fact that Riley continues to hang on to her tells you something. I don't see her anywhere near the WNT team at this point, especially given the crop that's coming up now, but it will be nice for her to finally get some decent playing time at this (sub)level.

I'd absolutely burst if Tina got back in the NT fold, but the wings are not our weak point right now (although creativity is), so I'm afraid she's on the outside looking in. Glad to see Riley's still pushing for her to get back on the team, though. Bags of talent going to waste there. Wonder if she's ever tried left back....

If only the Fury could have stepped up to WPSL Elite, we could have had 3 DiMartinos on the field at once!

6. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stevie, Looks like you're getting your wish.

7. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, half of it. Aztec stepped down out of Elite, so Vicky D won't be in the same league with G/Tina.

Riley muttered something about having a lot of work to do to assemble a roster in time, but I bet he ends up putting something special together. Shame about Aztec, though. Would've been interesting to see how that team stacked up against WNY and Bos.

8. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems more to me like Aztec were forced down out of the Elite league to make room for Riley and the Fury with the "scheduling issues" floated out there as an excuse for the league to bring Riley/Fury in.

9. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

10. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Spoke too soon, announced today that Vicki side-stepped over to NE Mutiny, completing the WPSL Elite hat-trick of DiMartinos. That's just fun.

Oh, and Riley just signed Allie Long (just to keep my post semi-relevant).

11. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Tina plays inside CM/CAM more than she plays outside mid. Plus we still don't have a natural LM(left footed of not).

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The New York Fury will open its first Women's Premier Soccer League Elite season against the New England Mutiny on Saturday, May 12.

After playing at the Western New York Flash at Sahlen Stadium in Rochester, N.Y. on Saturday, May 19, the Fury will host the Boston Breakers in its home opener at 6 p.m. on Thursday, May 24.

They also will play their next home game against the Fever on Thursday, May 31.

There has been no determination as to where the Fury will play its home games. One possible venue is Hofstra University.

The WPSL Elite League features eight teams: the Boston Breakers, Philadelphia Fever, Western New York Flash, Chicago Red Stars, FC Indiana, New England Mutiny, New York Fury and ASA Chesapeake Charge.