Paul for one more month

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, Oct 6, 2003.

1. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
  2. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I like it. Konchesky gets to stay and he's very excited to do so. The loan keeps the door open to bringing in a new coach soon (if we want to) without exposing Konchesky to a lame-duck period if the new coach has other ideas. Similarly, Perry seems happy at Charlton, so it works. If we have a new coach by January, he can decide what to do with Konchesky then.

The rationale is pure BS though, as Perry is more cover than Konchesky for the central defenders. Pleat likes Konchesky, and wanted to keep him. That sounds good to me.

While I am admittedly a huge Bobby Convey fan, and would like to see Convey move to Spurs (because he definitely is ready to handle the top leagues), this move reduces that chance. With the wealth of left footed young energetic wing/mid types at Spurs, the need for Convey really is rather low.

I mean, with Konchesky (defensive/fullback), Ricketts (combo/wing/mid) Blondel (creative/mid), and Jackson (creative/mid), Spurs are loaded with young left footers for Ziege and company to tutor. Only Konchesky is really much of a defender (although Ricketts has done better than expected), and all but Jackson have decent pace.

While Convey is faster and (arguably) more of an offensive impact, his skill set is well represented in the current side. I wonder if the hesitancy to buy Konchesky comes from the coaching situation or simply holding out for Convey?

-Digital

3. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Man Utd? WTF Digital!

4. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kochensky would be expensive. Before his transfer request he was valued at between 4.5 / 5 million quid (!).

Right now I think we'd be hard pressed to get them to sell for a penny less than close to 3.5 million, maybe 2.5 + Perry + some form of sellon clause but that's probably pushing it.

The fact that they let him out on loan even for one month is surprising and perhaps more to temporarily remove a temporarily influence from the squad and show him that the grass isn't always greener. Although he is very keen on us, he's only started 2 games, both at left midfield (where he doesn't like to play!).

5. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Actually, Manchester United was the first English club I supported, and I continue to support them. But I always had a soft spot for Spurs ... dunno why. When they acquired my favorite goalkeeper of all-time, Keller, it intensified my support for Spurs, thus, both Spurs and Manchester United are my clubs (and I like Leeds as well ... I know, I know).

-Digital