Paul Dalglish hired as Rowdies Head Coach

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by BayVol, Nov 18, 2009.

1. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. brandonsoccerfan

brandonsoccerfan New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Re: 2009 Rowdies Stadium News Part 2

So it looks like we have a skipper! Management has told the Tampa Tribune it's Paul Dalglish, the son of former Kenny Dalglish, who managed some great teams including Liverpool. Paul is young -- 32 -- and has basically no experience, but has played in the U.K. and with the Houston Dynamo here in the U.S. I think it's an interesting selection. What does everyone think?

3. brandonsoccerfan

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Re: Danglish to be HC....

I just posted this in the news section. Also, be sure to join Ralph's Mob! We have a few updates about the manager signing plus a few other things.

4. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks!

5. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good job Brandon soccer fan.

6. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is great news. The Rowdies are starting to take shape.
    I can't wait for this upcoming season.

7. flornatref

flornatref Member

Feb 2, 2005

time will tell. from my brief experiences with him, he is a true professional.

8. brandonsoccerfan

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies

To get us all familiar with Mr. Dalglish, I found this 2007 article from his hometown newspaper, The Herald in Scotland. It talks how he came over to the U.S. the escape the pressures of living with a famous last name in the shadow of his father. Here's a photo of him when he played with the Dynamo:

[​IMG]

9. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's a interesting selection. But seems kind of odd to build a brand new team with someone that has never been a head coach before, not too mention doesn't know the league. I would have thought there would have been a number of even local (or in state) candidates that could have done a great job.

10. brandonsoccerfan

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies

This is very true. I'm not sure what connection the team has with him that led to their decision. He's still young though and hopefully he can use some of his connections back in the U.K. to bring over some good talent. From the names on the combine list, I think it's easy to say management did a pretty good job at bringing in local talent. How this all will translate onto the field? That we'll see in a few months!

11. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great news

12. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

seems like a gamble...

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know, but look at AC Milan and Barcelona of course I'm not comparing the teams or league in anyway possible but both of those superclubs have manager's without previous coaching experiance, but on the otherhand they have the best players in the world to play for them;)

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here is another example of zero coaching experience:
    [​IMG]
    Jason Kreis, Head coach of Real Salt Lake. When he took over RSL in 2007, he had less coaching experience than I did. I was a U5 Coach. :D

But seriously, Danglish could work. He has the proper genetics to be a great coach. He was a fighter even at Houston. Maybe he is a diamond in the rough. And with Perry's help, I think he will know the local product better. I guess it will be interesting to see who else they bring in to help Paul.

16. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007

gaffer.:p

17. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's all well and good that he's got connections back in the UK. But does the team really have the budget to attract players from there? I don't think so. I think they would be better off with someone familar with the league and players in this country. Because that's where the majority of the players will come from. Granted he might be able to get a player or two from the Conference or the SFL. But probably can't afford anyone from a higher league.

18. brandonsoccerfan

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies

Haha. Guess my newbie status as a fan of the beautiful game is pretty evident! I swear I had "gaffer" at the tip of my tongue!

19. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok, step away from the Real kook aid. But the examples that have been given about players being a success in the transition all had played for that club and knew both the leauge and country were that team played. I'm not saying he can't be a success, but he has less then 6 months to put together a team for a league that he doesn't know.

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually the Rowdies will have a player combine in the U.K. and I'm sure with Dalglish their it will only help the team finding future players.

http://www.tbrowdies.com/news/index.html?article_id=8859

and who says he doesn't have experience:

Dalglish retired in 2008 to pursue a career in coaching. Dalglish has spent time studying coaching techniques and match strategy at Liverpool with manager Rafa Benitez and at Blackburn Rovers FC with manager and former Rowdies player Sam Allardyce. He also coached for the Houston Dynamo Academy.

21. KVelmer

KVelmer New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Re: Paul Danglish hired as Rowdies Head Coach

I do not post much, but I thought I would add my two cents. It was probably a difficult task hiring a experienced coach. The Tampa Bay Rowdies did not even know what league they were going to play in and who knows the team might still jump ship to the other league. The team does not have a place to play and doubts about the league probably probably scared some of the more experienced coaches off. Money might have also played a role in this, how much did they have to spend on a coach? The owner of the Rowdies is a young guy....there are many factors that could have played into the hiring of Paul Danglish.

I'm just happy that pro soccer has returned to Tampa Bay. Let's give the ownership group and the new coach a chance. Go Rowdies

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread title changed, the correct spelling is Paul Dalglish

23. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001

That "zero coaching experience" guy just won the MLS Cup. Dalglish could take the Rowdies to the Soccer Bowl.

24. Mailman44

Mailman44 Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lithia
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shrewd selection, I think we have made a good adventorous choice. We should refer to him like the Italians do: Il Mister! I am sure his father will be only a phone call away if needed! I would be much more concerned about his new league and where we are playing vice having Mssr Dalglish as our "Mister".

25. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's no league to "know", though. NASL is brand new. Even if the Rowdies were in USL, USL changes so much that having a lot of experience in it might not be as useful as we would think. And he does have lots of experience in America and in MLS.

Plus he does have coaching experience; this is simply his first head coaching job. Got to start somewhere; it actually does make some sense for the Rowdies to go with this option. If it works out it is definitely a smart long-term move.

He's got a lot of great connections in the UK that locals simply don't have. Would the Rowdies be having their UK tryouts at Liverpool FC if their head coach was a Tampa Bay area local? I doubt it.

Plus we've got plenty of local know-how with Perry Van Der Beck. It's a good mix.