Patriot League = Underrated?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Hax, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    I might turn into the John Feinstein of soccer with this discussion, but it seems that the Patriot League is vastly underrated as a soccer conference. Granted, these results are only after the first weekend of the season, but Patriot League teams are a combined 9-2-4 so far. Here's some results to ponder:

American (2-0): beat Howard 5-0, beat Georgetown 4-0
    Navy (2-0): beat Manhattan 3-0, beat UMass 3-2
    Bucknell (2-0): beat Robert Morris 3-2, beat Binghamton 2-0
    Lehigh (1-0-1): tied Davidson 1-1, beat College of Charleston 2-1
    Holy Cross (1-0-1): tied Duke 1-1, beat NC State 1-0
    Lafayette (1-1): lost to New Hampshire 2-1, beat Vermont 1-0
    Colgate (0-0-1): tied VMI 1-1
    Army (0-1-1): tied College of Charleston 2-2, lost to Davidson 3-0

There was only one loss that was by more than one goal. Sure these results aren't against teams like Indiana and Stanford, but I think this should dispel all the Patriot League criticism that happens. There was a lot of moaning when American joined the conference that it was too weak of a conference. It looks pretty competitive to me, heck Patriot League teams are a combined 2-0-1 against the ACC and Big East! Sure there are some mediocre teams, but according to Feinstein these are primarily academic institutions and military academies.

2. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    I started this thread way back on September 6, and the most recent NSCAA rankings seem to somewhat support my claim. Lehigh is ranked #17 while American and Holy Cross are both ranked #24. Of course Holy Cross just lost to Harvard, but I still think the Patriot League is a small but good soccer conference. Having 3 out of 8 teams ranked is not too shabby.