Patellar Straps

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by matthewfoo, Sep 24, 2005.

1. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    Planning to get a nike patellar strap for my knees.... anyone uses them? how are they?

2. kkmkk

kkmkk New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    i have them. i got them yrs ago when i did my ligaments, only to know later on that they are for patellar tendons. didnt really help me. anyways it depends on what you need. i would recommend a knee guard instead.

3. b3ans

b3ans New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Wen it mentioned 'Nike' in it, I got a bit suspicious. I dont know what it is, but it sounds medicle so I will reccomend you get a proper medicle one.

Ken

4. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah me too. And you need to make sure that someone puts it on in the correct place. I've had to wear one a few times and they are pretty uncomfortable. And all our physio has done is just use some white tape. I didnt even know Nike made that kinda stuff. You'll be getting nike plasters and bandages next! Hahaha. :D

appleCORR

5. cazdaspaz

cazdaspaz New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Could somebody post a pic of them? I've never heard of them before. My knee guards didn't work at all for me and I've got a few problems with my knee cartilage. Chondromalacia Patella? Would I need anything special? :confused:

6. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    its what Veron wears under his knee. It just helps to support the kneecap.

appleCORR

7. Myrty

Myrty New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Netherlands
    I had that same thing under my knee as Veron. Because of a 'Jumpers knee' I had to wear it. My patella-tendon was irritated. That is a tendon insertion that is just right under your knee-cap. This is the one I wore:
    [​IMG]
    And it worked very well; I never felt any pain again!

Found this on the internet:
    "Patella Brace applies local pressure to the patellar tendon and supports the patella. This relieves the insertion of the knee tendon and reduces the tractive force on the lower leg, thus reducing pain. The pad consists of a skin-compatible and viscoelastic polymer. The semi-riged cap inserted in the front part ensures even distribution of pressure. A proper anatomical fit and the pad material help the brace remain in place when walking."

8. Nixon

Nixon New Member

May 23, 2005
    Manchester
    How are you playin without it? if its only minor pain id go without it, had to wear a knee brace for ages weakend my knee, stopped wearin the damn thing was wastin muscle hurts like hell to play but better for it. Temporary solutions are just that an usually lead to other probs like over use and compensation from other parts of the body leadin to more injurys. Just get yourself checked out at your GP. U know the pain is sometimes helpful in a game too, screamed at a few opponants confused the hell out of them :) or at least long enough to dribble passed them (or limp)

9. redalert101

redalert101 New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Streets of Florida
    lol i would get nike bandages nikes awesome

10. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    i usually tape just below my knee cap where the patella is, but everytime ive had the remove them, its painful coz my hair gets ripped off, so iwas wondering if the patellar strap would be as effective. well i just got the nike one, and i got to say its quite disappointing coz it doesnt put enough pressure on my cartiledge nor support my knee cap enough... i'll stick to taping.... thanks guys

Apple, you'd be the first with nike bandages as with vapors ;)

do send me some if u do get em though

11. Lg__o3

Lg__o3 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Petawawa Ont
    so thats the name of the tendon I poped. I was always woundering why I have a huge lump just below my knee cap.

12. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore

yeah mine is a lump too, i cant kneel or squat..

13. Lg__o3

Lg__o3 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Petawawa Ont
    Oh shat, mine isnt that bad. I poped when I was really young and wore a rubber brace for a bit but thenIi decided not to because your knee will weaken because your muscles come to depend on it. So all i did was go to the gym and workout and now I just have this lump that is like a bone. Now I dont even notice it when I'm playing.

14. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    yeah im pretty certain we have the same lump lol. ok i can squat, but for like less than half a min... i def cant kneel coz the lump hurts when i do... it doesnt really hurt when im playing, but when its knocked against, it could be quite painful. i suspect its calcium deposits that resulted into the lump hardening. to play safe i just tape them most the time. explaining the bald patch across my knees.

15. Lg__o3

Lg__o3 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Petawawa Ont
    what i did was leg presses and squats to strengthen my knees. When you do the presses do each leg seperate and that way you lifting the max weight with that knee versus the stronger one doing the majority of the work.

16. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    oh right.... i remember someone telling me that at the gym, he asked me to try support my wieght on just one knee and do squats, he said that my legs were too skinny for my body, and until i could do squats with one knee, my body is improportionate. till now i cant do more than 2 single knee squats... i cant seem to get my legs to buff up.. any idea?

17. Lg__o3

Lg__o3 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Petawawa Ont
    use both legs for squatting until you can lift more weight. You should be able to do double, if not more, your body weight before you do single legs squats. try doing some step ups withthe squatting bar, by this i mean hold the bar on your shoulders like you were performing a squat then step up onto a platform with the one leg and then bring the other one up and then step down with the same leg, rpt. Im assuming ur gym has a leg press machine, this is where you can do single leg exercises to strengthen it up. I personally like this more than a squatting bar because its easier to brign the weight lower to your chest then it is to squat down as far as you can without falling over, and 2 its easier on the back and neck. you should do squats almost everyday because this and other exercises such a tricept dips builds your testosterone (sp?) levels which will also increase mussle mass not just in your legs but in your other muscles as well. Eating is also important. Eat alot of high protien foods such as chicken and fish such as tuna, which is wicked in a tuna melt/ wrap. One can has 23 grams of protien. you should also eat 5-6 meals a day. breakfast, then a snack lunch then and snack adn then supper and then a snack. A good magazine to pick up is mens health, it ahs alot of wicked articles and and exercises to do. Hell, it also has recipies for quick and easy meals.

18. matthewfoo

matthewfoo Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    AH..... so it is true... that squats improve general body muscle growth... great stuff man, i'll be starting my new leg-buffing regime.. thanks mate!

19. Lg__o3

Lg__o3 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Petawawa Ont