Past Dynamo Players (Where are they now?)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by truthandlife, Jun 6, 2009.

1. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i heard his beef was with Houston, too.

I predict he ends up in New England, Ohio, Kansas, Iowa, or Nebraska. — read —

2. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    my bet on cameron is east coast/conference. not sure if it would be closer to RI or warmer like miami. i don't see him here because we have no right of first refusal, ended badly, and would be unattractive to someone probably looking to go out in a 1-2 year blaze of glory. even if it was a limited, canetti problem, and he's gone, i don't see where we have become a positive and competitive destination with magnetic owners. we have absentee landlords and kind of suck. if there is no particular draw then i don't know how we stick out at all where he would pick us in particular. there are teams with celebrity owners, there are better teams, there are funner teams to play for. we are slowly rebuilding but not on any timeframe that would suit a short timer. and i think he has more power than the people we sign to put his finger on a map and say "here."

once in a while someone returns to a pro team he once left in a huff but usually there has been dramatic leadership change and the team is championship caliber. you need a reason to bury the hatchet.

i could see him coming back for a one-day wave to the fans thing, if they mended fences, after he's retired.

3. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Guess it depends on whether the rest of the league wants him and whether he'd even entertain coming back to us. We definitely shouldn't say no if he was interested because he's a clear and immediate upgrade over anyone we have at CB. I'll rent him for a season or two in a heartbeat.

I do think we're sort of in a unique position relative to some of the better teams in the league in that we will absolutely take a 36 year-old CB and plug him into the starting line-up from Day 1 because our backline is BAD. Not so certain some of the better teams can offer.

Similar deal with Corona. He's past the peak of his career, but we'll pay the man because he's clearly better than what we can get with a $50,000 transfer budget and an underperforming academy.

Overpaying for aging talent probably isn't a sustainable way for a cheap-o squad to compete, but we're doing it. Plus the organization being what it is, I'm willing to bet Ramos/Jordan/Brener will break-out the cheapest plastic champagne flutes and sparkling wine that money can buy if we finish in the last playoff position.

4. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    it's going to be interesting to see where he goes but I will bet that it will not be New England - he really thinks Arena did him wrong and I don't think he would ever play for him again if he has a choice.

Maybe NY DC or Philly.

Houston would be low on the list but if there were no other takers and he likes Ramos, then maybe. He could plug into alot of places we could utilize him DM, CB, LB.

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  5. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    almost anyone would be upgrade over Lundquist

CeltTexan repped this.
  6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron supported Trump so that rules him out for half of the MLS teams with fully woke loser fanbases. He actually likes America too so that probably eliminates another few teams

nbrooks503 repped this.
  7. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Can't think that eliminates anyone besides Seattle or Portland. Is there any other fanbase that actually would care? Not talking individuals here, but like fanbase as a whole.

8. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't know what the demographic of the woke soccer fan is in the US, but they are very vocal and what with corporations now being careful about offending any of them, they could have an impact. There was some pretty nasty stuff being hurled at him for his political views and that really made him decide to avoid social media. I had dinner with Waibel once and he told me that he didn't bother with social media because Dom told him "if they love you, it's great, but if you have a bad game, they'll hate".

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  9. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Reddit thread on Cameron coming back was pretty much SEA and OR fans complaining. I don’t think he’d have issues elsewhere. PNW fans are kind of fringe with this stuff.

I saw a Timbers fan foaming at the mouth over “cultural appropriation” over the Fort Worth NPSL team being named the Vaqueros.

*rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  10. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    I think Cameron has a 50/50 chance of either signing with an MLS team or not getting the deal he wants and going on a press tour talking about how he’s been “cancelled” and how it’s “destroying the country”.

ElNaranja and *rey* repped this.
  11. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe it or not there are a bunch of A'holes out there that hate him for his political views. I know of a former player who became a coach and got cancelled because of his politics. The cancel culture is truly alive and well which is a pity because those clowns judge people by the perceived thoughts and not their abilities or deeds.

They're not real football fans though, they're just posers.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  12. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    And yet despite all this he’s signing for an MLS team.

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #1715 juvechelsea, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
    as i understood it, QPR was like you've gotten old go find another team. so he's surplus to midtable championship. i see championship as lateral to MLS, regardless what the snobs think. with all that implies about being surplus there for his chances here.

it's an odd choice for him because he wasn't an allocation player anymore (which says something). but maybe that's all there was willing to pay up for a diceroll he has anything left. i would assume better teams would maybe take a risk but want a paycut. he maybe should have lined this up over the winter when payrolls aren't so locked in.

fwiw i think it's lazy cincy meets cameron cash grab. cincy is one of the few teams consistently worse than even we are. i don't care about his politics -- although trying to max out salary as opposed to come in cheap and play someplace with a chance to win might reflect his politics. to me i am sure QPR and the others paid him well -- the bank account is full -- and if i am coming back i'd want a resume capper. i don't get coming here to cash a check for another year.

14. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    This is one of the dumbest things I’ve seen here. How on earth can you say “I’m trying to get the most compensation available for my abilities and experience” is some reflection on his politics? And I don’t buy anything about a resume capper either. Dude has played in a World Cup, been an MLS All Star and appeared in an MLS final, spent a decade in England with a lot of premier league time. He should just get the money that’s there.

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    people routinely take pay cuts to, say, play for the patriots or tampa bay. i already have money, do i want to win and get trophies, or do i want more money. a lot of competitive athletes would chase trophies.

this is someone likely sitting on millions who probably doesn't need more money to live well. this is someone choosing to live in cincy and play for an awful team ON PURPOSE. for money? really?

and your response, which you see as trenchant, proves my point. conservatives are always the ones ripping me for encouraging a "soccer decision" over "agent ambition." when you retire -- and he is set -- you remember the work successes more than getting paid. his bank account will be fine. he will probably get coaching gigs too. i would want to go out on top. to me no amount of money would make ending my career in a cincy cesspool ok. is that how i want to remember soccer?

this is a lame cash grab that only will stain his legacy. watch. it will be "cincy sucked and cameron looked awful for them." he will get paid but he has been for 15 years. so freaking what. the other half of "pro soccer player" is "soccer player." who wants to play for the worst team in the league just to cash a big check? meh.

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    fwiw i also see it as contradictory that he gave us crap for trying to squeeze a few more pounds from stoke -- basically burned that bridge over "capitalism" -- but it's then ok for him to make a silly soccer decision strictly about cash.

17. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    All I see you saying is that labor should let management keep more of the money for, a better shot at pride? Also trophies aren’t guaranteed, money is. Let’s say Cameron is offered 400k a year at Cincy and 150k at Atlanta. He can go to Atlanta and not win a single trophy and lose out on 500k. Is it worth that much for pride?

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    freddy adu to me is the epitome of what can happen when the sole consideration each stop is maximizing payday and club status. even on the way down he was unable to restrain his greed. and so it becomes do i want to overpay for freddy adu and the problems that seem to follow him.

there are other aspects to work other than money. success in your field. craftsman ethos. creative work that helped the customer. relationships. loyalty. feeling good about yourself.

i get conservatives think liberals are naive about money, but how many boxes other than money does what he is doing tick? and 10-20 years from now will this year mean a thing to him.

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    if i have 10-15m in the bank what is the difference between adding .15m or .4m my last year, big picture? my future solvency will have more to do with do i keep working and existing spending/saving habits than that .25m difference. it's keeping score.

now, if he's nearly broke, or has a wife who likes to use a credit card, different deal. but then you're almost retired from soccer anyway, you have bigger long term problems with that predicament. regardless how much you make that is about to end. if you coach you will be back to a MLS journeyman player salary as an assistant in MLS.

but, yeah, he is not allocated, and if i was him, i would pick a team that has a chance at success and will play me some, even if i had to take a paycut. boston is right by RI. bruce coaches them. go play for NER and chase a trophy. one of the NY teams. one of the LA teams.

cincy to me will be depressing and forgettable. they will pay him 500k-1m and when the season ends that will be an accounting anecdote and very little soccer to be proud of. in which case i'd rather retire captain of QPR or come back here to play for a good team.

*rey* repped this.
  20. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    You do bring up some good points and work/life balance, among others, should definitely be considered in fields not related to soccer. I don’t know much about Geoff and his finances, education and things of that nature but the future isn’t guaranteed to anyone and who can say whether or not he’ll have other shots at earning a ~300k a year paycheck from his job of choice.

21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Ohio. LOL!

y’all read between the lines, yet?

22. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The closest red state to MA?

*rey* repped this.
  23. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I'll defer to Rey's memory but I remember it as MLS squeezing more money, not us.

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.