Past Dynamo Players (Where are they now?)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by truthandlife, Jun 6, 2009.

1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Loftus Road is a boring blue square with boring fans.

Who roots for them with a choice of CFC in their cool stadium with a competitive team, or Fulham on the riverside with the cottage and fun fans as well. I remember being invited into the cottage when I bought my first tickets.

At least Fulham has some character.

2. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I wish Cameron well based on the memories and service

but let's be real, he was a bit of a jerk on his way out the door

or have people forgotten or revised since then

I do wish this sticks to topic as well but you can see who lobbed the first grenade pretty clearly, and it wasn't me

3. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I went to a Chelsea game last year and watched them play Sheffield United. The stadium was cool and I enjoyed it a lot. The only negative was the atmosphere was more subdued than I expected. The Sheffield fans were way more animated and lively than the Blues fans. A minor gripe but would like to attend another game in Europe when I get a chance.

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Not sure what the deal was, sorry

They sputtered out of the gate to start last season, wasn't until the September games they found their stride, Blades play some defense, fans might have been testy

Any League football in the UK is usually a fun watch. The only experience there I would not repeat was watching Barnet, where the other team had one black player and they were racists about it.

Barnet was the oddest thing I have seen, end of a tube line all the way across London, the old stadium was down the side of a hill at a slope. Literally playing soccer uphill and downhill.

[But I still think QPR was a yawn. It wasn't bad. But they were like asleep.]

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So then if you aren’t suffering from TDS, then it must be some long-term effects from an undetected case of COVID, correct?

6. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I agree wholeheartedly that Craven Cottage is amazing. Bounded by the River Thames and Stevenage and Bishops Parks, the stadium has an enviable position. Have not yet made it there, but hope to one day.

7. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Barca v. Madrid offered a similar experience, at least when I went. I expected a boisterous environment. Paid an incredibly steep ticket cost to ultimately watch an admittedly great match with a lot of other tourists, which resulted in a weak atmosphere. Afterward, hotel staff would tell me Barca and Madrid supporters offload Clasico tickets en masse to cover season ticket package costs.

*rey* repped this.
  8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not that sure that he was a jerk on his way out.

The way I remember it he was getting some good playing time with the USMNT and had been scouted by Stoke. MLS held up the transfer apparently holding out for more $$$ and it was around that time that he probably rightly became concerned about his career. There were a couple of times at training where he made the "media" wait until he had gone back to take a shower before talking to them, but I didn't see that as a problem - Dom used to make them wait after training while he played soccer tennis with the other coaches which I found hilarious. Berman of 26 got pissed off once when he was told Dom would be available at 11 for an interview and he asked if that was 11 Central Standard Time or Kinnear Standard Time :)

As for QPR - I'd intended to catch a game this year but it got postponed. I can't tell you what the fans are like or what the atmosphere is there, but what I can tell you is that the way they treat their supporters and ticket buyers is pretty damn impressive. After we got back to Houston this march I got this in the mail.

IMG_20200319_105506 (Large).jpg

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    there was friction between him and the club over us holding out for more money after an offer MLS was willing to accept but we thought was low

maybe jerk is harsh but he basically acted like we had to ship him out first lowball number they sent, mouthed off to the press about it, and to me backing that is inconsistent with our elis discussions and otherwise feeling like we don't maximize

we're doing you a favor, we have a contract, you will be gone soon enough, don't be a twerp about us getting paid

i was in the same spot on dempsey-to-spurs as a fulham fan. lots of "dempsey fans" who acted like they were fulhamericans (for a bit) threw a fit over fulham waiting to sell, and backed his "won't practice" holdout. i have some sympathy as a player fan but if you are loyal to the team you have to take their side as well. it is telling dempsey went back later on loan while cameron and the dynamo can't be said in the same sentence.

but i digress. my point is people can't have it both ways, if you are a houston fan it should be at least somewhat irksome when people take off, and we should max out financially. at that point "it's business." not to the point of "no deal" like jordan but there's a difference between brinksmanship and being left holding the bag. but i am sure that most suitors tell you their "last and final" where you know what you're risking.

i also think if you're more a fan of the people hitting the bricks than the team left here your subconscious is telling you something.

11. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read the piece he did about the USMNT, he said that he had told Dom he really wanted to go to Europe and Dom responded something like "give me two good years and I'll do everything I can". I would imagine that it seemed to him that the organization was not following through on the promise.

I also think that with a team like the Dynamo you have to be a fan of an exceptional player hitting the bricks, because as we all know the organization and MLS in general is never going to provide the kind of opportunities and $$$$ they can get elsewhere. You don't want to see them go, but you also don't want to see a team hold them back.

12. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
  14. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Nice Elis goal with Boavista. He doesn't seem to be getting that much time over there, but seems to be doing well with the time he does. 2 goals and an assist in his seven appearances/four starts.

Boavista seems to be doing awful based on expectations I saw their fans bandy about. They were supposed to be making a big push up the table this season, but early on they are flirting with relegation.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elis sure looked sharp in that game footage! Delightful chip over the goalie to secure the give n go goal.

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    it's the subtle things -- did you notice a #17 with the ball rolling between his legs on the equalizer?

sitting is not your fault, playing poorly is more in your control. a lot of club snobs confuse the two. wood had 3 NT goals in 2018 when we bothered to call him. horvath gets results when played. weah has a goal every 119' when used. his rate was similar in 18/19 when he barely saw the field for celtic or PSG.

more to the point, this is what elis wanted. when you get there sometimes you can remain yourself and yet the team doesn't bear hug you. that's not your fault. one reason i like numbers is they take dumb coaches or lucky days out of the equation. if you score a goal every 200' you're doing that whether you start or sit or are the coach's pet or not.

CeltTexan repped this.
  17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elis was, still is apparently, the type of player that will be just as fast at minute 5 as he is in minute 93. Elis was scrappy on the ball and went at people all game long! Brian Mullan was like this with his consistent work rate on our wing as well. I was glad to see Elis make the move to Europe and watch him get stuck in for his new colors, score goals for them. Good man. Him and Boni with their passion for the sport. To be brave as well when even not the biggest of men. It is one core trait that cannot be rebranded or "lost" in forming a football club 15 years into existence. Our Houston Dynamo soul of having good guys who play hard for the jersey De Ro, Ching, Stuie, Onstad, Rico, Waibel, Robinson, Mully, Davis, Hainault, Ashe, Carr, Boni, Elis the list continued with Mauro and Memo. On top of this for our own pride in our players is that in MLS circles, these players we have had that love the sport has as well displayed to the rest of the league that most Texas of all traits, grit.

Varus repped this.
  18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De Ro legacy growing!
    My buddies and I still talk about his way of being in our naranja jersey.

Dwayne De Rosario Put Canadian Soccer On The Map, But His Journey Isn’t Complete
    https://the18.com/soccer-news/dwayne-de-rosario-interview-canada-world-cup-ambassador

“I’ve been through many challenges in my personal life that I’ve had to overcome,” De Rosario says. “Despite the challenges, despite the hardships, whatever you’re going through, you can still fall in love with something but it does come with hard work, it does come with sacrifice, it does come with dedication. All those things.

19. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Geoff Cameron has been logging a lot of playing time w QPR and been decent as a DM and CB. He assisted on the lone goal last week for a win.

Mauro Manotas has played 3-4 games w Tijuana and still hasn’t scored yet.

20. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Manotas and Elis both on the scoreboard today.

CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how is Mexico playing in a pandemic!!!!!

22. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  23. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Leonel Miranda spent some time there after leaving us as well.

Best wishes to Martinez. Never really panned out here outside of a fairly strong 2018 on an otherwise horrid team.

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Rifer
    @ChrisRifer

9h
    CD Marathón is at a pretty low point right now. Last place in the weaker of the two groups in Liga Nacional. And their leading scorer through six weeks is 38-year-old Houston Dynamo legend Carlos Costly.

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At my old high school I used to coach at, there was a recent immigrant family from Honduras in the stands as their youngest son was out on the field. The Honduras family spoke so highly of Boni and all the Hondurans that have repped Houston. In their mind, Houston Dynamo is a big club and their players are proud to play in a city like Houston, specifically speaking on Boniek and how much of a class human he is and ambassador for their culture. Needless to say, in Honduras, Houston Dynamo is a big deal.