Partick Nyarko

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by BVgolski07, Jan 18, 2008.

1. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you guys think? Some thought he could go number 1, and we get him as number 7. Shows perhaps he's not that good, but sounds like a good pick up to me. He'll have to work hard to get any time but hopefully he'll develop quickly this way. Or does anyone think we'll trade him? Other teams might be interested, although it'd be hard to get enough to pick up a decent vet player or atleast a solid portion.

2. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    We got the best striker in the draft cant ask for anything more.

My thoughts are:

He seems to have Carr speed but with finishing ability.
    A Carr and Nyarko counterattack at the end of games we are leading could be lethal.
    Someone start taking Nyarko to some buffets and steakhouses.
    Someone introduce him to an American girl to marry (start path to citizenship!).
    Trade Barrett and some draft picks and money to Chivas for Razov.
    Sign an accomplished foreighn forward.

3. Thrash13

Thrash13 Member

OKC Energy FC
    United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Lawton, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a new soccer fan, so I don't know as much as most people here. However, when you get a guy ranked #1 on most people's boards at #7, that's awesome. I'm just now becoming a fan of the MLS, and I really don't have a favorite team yet. After today's draft, Chicago is at the top of my list, so hopefully I'll get to know things a little better.

4. mchughes

mchughes New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im excited about Nyarko, we really needed a forward and we got one. and if pickens leaves we got dominic, who also looks good.

5. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago needed a forward; Nyarko is the best forward in the draft. Sounds like a happy marriage to me.

6. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Welcome, but drop that avatar before someone tells you to die in a Fire. :D

7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to live in my state and be a Firefan, that Steer avatar has got to go.

8. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He apparently lives in Oklahoma, so...

9. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

10. ChicagoFire142

ChicagoFire142 New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Him and Carr up front would be just spectacular!

11. Polski

Polski New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope he works out, I was excited when I saw how far he fell.

12. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    watching him in person, nyarko shoulda gone #1, i have no idea what kc was thinking especially with the potential loss of eddie johnson, nyarko should fit well with the fire, he's already friends with a couple of the players, im thinking bakary soumare?, he's got speed, finishing ability, knows his position on the field, he's physically deceiving, b/c he can muscle off defenders, but will have to add some pounds to handle mls defenders, he was more of a winger and a set up man in weiss' system here at tech, but he'll work well anywhere

13. partycentral

partycentral Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Naperville
    Then get rid of that cows avatar.

14. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Myers is certainly a good player but I thought it was odd that KC chose a defensive player with all those EJ rumors.

15. modibo

modibo New Member

May 13, 2006
    Chicago
    He says he's pals with Osei Telesford and Bakary. I think it was Steve Goff or Ives Galarcep who reported that he talked with Bakary about drafting early.

All that is fine - it helps to have friends on the team already - but he has a lot of other teammates to get along with (BLANCO) as well as the coaching staff. It's not clear if Hamlett & co talked with him at the combine as some coaches did with prospects they were interested in. His comments about dropping to 7th seem to be more or less reasonable, without any carping or chest-thumping... so, who can say?

Incidentally, Blanco was extremely modest in his interviews on signing with the Fire, which made me think at the time that he might just work out. His history indicates that he's not always that mild-mannered... in any case what I'm saying is that one interview doesn't necessarily indicate how a player will get along over the course of a full season (or half season in Cuah's case).

16. smashthacan

smashthacan New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    CA
    The more I think about it, the more stupid I think it is KC passed him up. The only thing Wizards fans can think of is that Onalfo is going to look for offensive talent in South America instead of drafting Americans. As most know, so many of the world's best strikers are coming out of Africa. I'm pretty bummed out.

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not very good at math, are you?

18. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused::confused::confused:

19. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Isn't Patrick from Ghana?
    I'm glad he got passed up, a calen carr + finishing ability sounds about right.

20. smashthacan

smashthacan New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    CA
    Yes, I'm pretty sure I read he is from Ghana.

21. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    The Globe is full of Ghanans for African Nations cup. They are all atwitter about Nyarko coming to the Fire. According to one guy hes fast as snot on ice.

22. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Great idea: take a guy with speed and try to bulk him up. Awesome.

23. MLS_RM

MLS_RM Member

Jun 25, 2003
    chicago
    Right because there are no speedy wide receivers in the NFL with bulk and muscle. Everyone with speed has to be light so that when they get pushed they fly 20 yards like Carr does. Speed without some bulk is a great idea if your goal is to win a 40 yard dash. Wait even olympian runners have size and bulk. Carl Lewis had more bulk than Nyarko and thats going back 20 yrs. Right now Nyarko looks like Starvin Marvin
    I want him to be like Bernard Berrian not Refriderator Perry.

I guess i shoulda added the weightroom to prevent my eating post from being ridicluled.

Even so protein/carbs + exercise=muscle/size/strength without losoing speed, may even even gain some. Cant make muscle if your body doesnt have the ingredients for making muscle no matter how hard you work out

Sorry, I assume people know basics about gaining mass and muscle.

24. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    actually, adding muscle mass could make him faster.Skinny doesnt always equate with being faster.The idea is to add the right muscle mass and not just bulk up.
    either way, right now the Fire shouldnt mess with him until he's seen MLS game time .IF he cant handle it then they should see about him adding weight, but DMB did allright being a featherweight...so who knows until he see's time in MLS

25. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I think Patrick is going to have to hit the gym. He doesn't have to gain 30 pounds, just add a little muscle to handle the MLS defenders.