Alert: Partey signs!!!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by leepyswetr, Jun 28, 2020.

1. leepyswetr

leepyswetr Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Chicago
    Super Llama repped this.
  2. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bunch of old names who sadly have moved on.

I don't remember that thread, and since now all the images are broken links, the punnery is a bit obscured.

4. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    How many beers deep were you for this?

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  5. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dearly miss GoonerMaui, he was great here on the forums :(

6. mixmastermatt v2.0

mixmastermatt v2.0 New Member

Arsenal
    England
    Jun 28, 2020
    Is it that bad that he wasn't??? :D

Bluto11 and yossarian repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this thread will roust a few other old-timers? Shit we got Tex & Homeat back online lately so who knows!

8. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    did you forget your big soccer password so had to create a new account? :)

9. mixmastermatt v2.0

mixmastermatt v2.0 New Member

Arsenal
    England
    Jun 28, 2020
    That is exactly what has happened!! It's associated to an old email that I can't remember the password to either :ROFLMAO:

Shen-O, yossarian, Bluto11 and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    welcome back!

mixmastermatt v2.0 repped this.
  11. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    hahaha that's exactly it!

12. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Can’t believe this hasn’t been bumped yet.

maskito repped this.
  13. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    TIME TO PARTEY. OK, I've only just got up and got to my laptop.

I read that he's a good box to box player with strength. I've never seen him play, I hope he's good. I was excited when we signed Pepe, because he cost a lot I thought he must be a big game changer, apart from the odd moments, I'm still waiting for him to come good. In fairness to him though, he had to get to his third manager within one season, can't have been easy for him. So I'm being excited with caution.

14. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Here's the obligatory Youtube vide

I don't know how those stats at the beginning compare with other players.

15. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Their ain't no Partey like a Thomas Parteyyyyy, ohhhhh, eyyyyy, ohhhhh.

[​IMG]

Serengeti_Boy and Shen-O repped this.
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I'd rather see his numbers & clips from his CLUB play, i.e. Atletico Madrid.

17. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Oh my days! The gaddamn S Club 7!

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, who hacked NorthBank's account?

:D

Shen-O repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha. I like actually like numbers a lot. Just not obsessive, myopic focus & discussion about certain new stats... but thankfully that's died down to a more sensible level in the last 6 mos or so. I'm good. :)

20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone here who posts about stats is "myopic" about it. Can't think of anyone who thinks stats are the whole picture, rather they just make up part of the picture. And the irony about wanting stats for this particular player is that there seems to be a consensus amongst the stats guys like Knutson, etc., that Simeone coached players produce some weird numbers and can be difficult to analyze via the normal metrics.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK "myopic focus" might be slightly too strong a phrase, but I think you may also have misinterpreted what I was saying. I wasn't talking about obsession with stats in general, although that might be another discussion. I was talking about obsession with one particular stat which rose quickly to the top of the list about a year or two (or three?) ago and completely dominated our discussions. You know the one? And now that stat tends to me mentioned only rarely. Or just mentioned at a more reasonable rate... compared to when it used to completely swamp our threads, and bring the old forest/trees metaphor to mind.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, a little over 2 years since Partey signed, and he's been plagued with numerous injuries, mostly soft-tissue stuff, e.g. thighs. And Elliott from the AV podcast has come up with (or uncovered?) a new theory on why this has been the case for him at Arsenal when he was virtually uninjured at AM...

Apparently Atleti managed his minutes differently, e.g. fewer mins per game, than we have. We've tended to give him full-90's when we've used him.

Elliott only mentioned this very briefly in today's pod, and I haven't read anything further on it, but the implication is that we need to spread out his usages a little thinner and not play him for 90 so much.

Do I understand that correctly? And if so, how credible a theory is that? Compared to other factors like luck, age, or last but not least club training /physiotherapy standards?

Discuss

23. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was listening to Arseblog and whoever was on with Andrew that day, said he thinks Partey is just hitting an age where a lot of players start to break down from long-term, ongoing injuries/complications. Thinking about Todd Gurley who doesn't even play in the NFL anymore. Had an ONE ACL tear when he was in college, recovered, became an MVP-caliber RB for a few years, but developed too much tendinitis in his knees after games and retired at 26.

Partey is all over the place! He's had 8 different injuries here at Arsenal. His record reads: high, thigh, muscle, thigh, ankle, groin, muscle, thigh.

This tells me he has a muscular imbalance due to some original injury or he just doesn't train a certain muscle group, and all these muscular injuries are caused by overcompensation from other muscles having to carry extra load. Like Diaby. The kinetic chain is real and simply having a hurt toe, can causes all sorts of problems all the way up, to your hips and even neck!

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And his latest injury with Ghana was a knee? Not sure that's right, and if so whether it's a ligament or a bang?

Clive Palmer said today (and I think others agreed) that Partey doesn't run right... too stiff, etc. Implying that's a factor in his injuries. But then why was he injury free in Madrid? (assuming he runs the same as before) That's where Elliot's counter theory about managing his minutes came in.

25. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a stress fracture in my left foot, that has taken forever to recover, because I never really took time off from work. I just took a week off until I didn't have so much pain, but honestly it's one of the dumbest decisions I've ever made. I should have taken a full workers comp break. Now I have pains in my other foot, my knees, my hips, things I NEVER had before hurting my foot, all from those groups having to carry extra load.

Tonerl repped this.