Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Parks' story is more than his time at Benfica, which is why this thread is so long. But you probably know that, since you're apparently being forced to look at all 153 pages of this thread.

2. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He played a total of 57 minutes with a first team in europe..... I tried not to waste my time on this thread, but the length of 153 pages is an insult to all the other ya players not named pulisic.

3. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Yeah I'm sure the USMNT has consistent locker room arguments over who has the longest YA thread, Tyler Adams is fuming.

Imagine being so small that the length of a thread bothers you.

striker, justinpaul10, Beasnter and 3 others repped this.
  4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I mean, obviously. Why else would Mix have stopped getting called up? No reason but YA thread jealousy that disrupted the team's chemistry.

The Irish Rover and tomásbernal repped this.
  5. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Also it would explain Mix posting in his own thread, trying to bump those numbers up.

6. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I hope you can get over it, brother. I’m probably as guilty as any for the length of this thread but I definitely didn’t mean it as an insult to other YAs.

LouisianaViking07/09 and taylor repped this.
  7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, I suggest you don't waste any more of your time on it then.

I'm sure we're all rooting for you to succeed!

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Thread is useful for learning about Portuguese culture, right?

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Keaton deserved it, he coulda been a contender.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He still can, can't he? I am really surprised he had no interest from other Portuguese clubs.

11. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He reminds of a little of Kenny Cooper. He wants to play like a 10, but has the frame of a 9 or a central defender. I'm not sure he will ever get a shot in the Portuguese league. People judge his book by his cover. He's got great technical attributes, but he probably should learn to lean on his God given strengths (power, height) and learn a new position if he wants to excel.

12. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    #3837 zlatan_but_a_car, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    I think most clubs wouldn't be able to meet Benfica's transfer demands and/or Keaton's wage demands. Benfica hit their max amount of loans within the Portuguese League at the beginning of the season, so it would've had to be a sale. Outside of Benfica, Porto, and Sporting the Portuguese teams are pretty poor. Transfermarkt is not a definitive source, but just 6 teams have a squad value bigger than NYCFC's: Benfica, Porto, Sporting, Braga, Vitoria, and Famalicao.

Famalicao is currently starting Guga at CM, who was injured just before Keaton joined Benfica B. When Guga came back from injury, he couldn't play his way back into Keaton's spot and wound up getting sold to Famalicao for around $350k at the beginning of this season (that fee is according to TM, there's no way to know what that fee actually is). Guga was supposed to be a big-ish deal, and racked up over 50 caps with Portuguese youth national teams.

13. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh

Parks' contract with NYCFC is up December 2024 with no team option. I don't trust this account generally but I have sources close to the team telling me there is genuine interest from both AZ Alkmaar and from Parks.

If he wants to leave, he can pull a Miles Robinson and walk for free in a year. NYCFC will probably not want that for a variety of reasons. It wouldn't be crazy to see a winter move.

14. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    It's worth noting that, per capology, Mihailovic is making ~$1m per year at AZ. Keaton's current contract is for $550k, so that's a big bump up.

BUT, NYCFC is dropping Cufre ($750k), Pellegrini ($1.1m), and Morales ($660k) in addition to a number of cheaper academy players. James Sands currently makes over $1m with NYCFC, so there will be room and precedent for NYCFC to offer Keaton a sizeable contract.