Parking in Harrison

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by JBigjake, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool thanks, yea plan on leaving several hours before the game and catching a few drinks

2. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Update on this: This does not appear to be an option on gameday. Yesterday there was plenty of signage saying it was closed off for police use all day. The lot itself had a few cop cars and tow trucks ready to roll out.

I'm guessing this might be the norm for gamedays now.

3. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It takes me 30 minutes to get to the Westport station and the trip took me 2:50 minutes yesterday, one way.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parked right next to Newark/Penn Station and enjoyed a few beers and MMM Bellos and the 15 min. walk to and from the Stadium. I drove in from NJ and had very little problems with traffic. Getting out was a little bit different. Sat in traffic for about a half hour. Not too bad really.

Did anyone take the PATH? I'm gonna probably do that from now on as long as it isn't too crowded leaving the game.

5. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took NJT, but the Path train on the other side of the platform was not too bad, but I can't say what happened when it got to Harrison.

6. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The PATH from Harrison to NY after the game was very smooth. As I approached the station and saw what looked to be an overflowing mob, at a standstill, trying to enter the station, I thought I was f-ed. But they were sending extra empty trains every few minutes, and I was on a train and on my way within just a few minutes. It looked bad, but moved fast. The train wasn't even full.

7. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info.

It's nice that BOTH the Newark/Penn and Harrison path stops are within a short walking distance to the stadium. I think I'll prefer to get hammered around Newark/Penn, but will get on at the Harrison station after the games.

8. rednow.red4ever

Mar 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wrigley Field- close to 40,000- very small lot for players/staff and premium club/stholders. I'd imagine Fenway doesn't have much in the way of an official lot either.

9. rednow.red4ever

Mar 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't mean to troll, but had a semi-question myself.

I'm driving in and staying at an airport hotel. Was hoping for a 12-hour lot near the PATH so I could wander the city and then back to the game at night. I saw the LAZ lot at Journal Sq. is only $4 if you enter by 11 am....

I take it there won't be many long term lot options in Harrison on gameday...

10. jevanvoo

jevanvoo Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Manhattan
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    might be cheaper to take either a cab or the hotel shuttle to Newark/Penn station and then catch a cab back to the hotel. If you do decide to park in a garage, make sure it's a 24 hour garage, not sure if the one in Jersey City is, plus, driving in Jersey City can be a total headache (and that $4 is most likely $4/hour, not $4 total)

11. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, check with your hotel first, many have shuttles to NYP or the area. One thing to watch out for the train fare from newark airport is twice as much as the station before it. They use the excuse that it is an Amtrak station, so they charge Amtrak rates. It is really just a way to screw visitors.

So if you can go to another station to go into the city do so.

12. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I think Wrigley was built before the automobile was invented. :)

13. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Invented, no, major mode of transportation, yes.

14. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    Also AT&T Park in San Francisco - capacity over 41,000, but only 2,500 parking spaces. You'd have an easier time finding a virgin in a Vegas strip club than you would finding a parking space in that city.

16. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Last Saturday, I drove to the LAZ garage next to the Harrison Path -- well marked signs from I-280 to the Harrison Park Center. Arrived at about 11 a.m., took the train to NYC, and came back at around 5 p.m. Much quicker train to WTC than to elsewhere in Manhattan (Christopher St., 9th St., etc.).

They charged $10 for the whole day until post-game. I left at minute 83 or so, and had no trouble at all getting out, since I parked next to the exit. But I think it was a CF post-game. Just so you know. I found it easy and convenient and quite fun.

17. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. 15-20 minute walk from Newark/Penn PATH station (Harrison PATH stop is closer to the stadium, but I don't think the area around it offers as much in terms of bars/restuarants).

It was a nice walk which was helped by the great weather and the many fans.

19. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually mm bellos is across the street

20. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What airport are you staying at? If it's Newark Airport, there's your solution. Take the train from there into NYC earlier in the day. Take it from NYC to Newark Penn Station (a 20-minute walk from the stadium) before the game. Take it from Newark Penn Station to Newark Airport after the game. Newark Airport, Newark Penn Station and New York Penn Station (33rd Street) are all on the same NJ Transit line.

21. rednow.red4ever

Mar 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, I learned that the hard way the last time I stayed near Newark Lib. I'll prob try parking, if it goes wrong, I'll cab it. Thanks for the help sccrhound and jevanvoo..

22. rednow.red4ever

Mar 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not bad- I thought they'd be limiting day-time parking so that they could start charging "event price" shortly before the game. I may just do this then. Thanks.

23. smkrn

smkrn New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Has anyone driven into Harrison and parked by the stadium lately? I'm headed to the game against Houston tomorrow night, but haven't been to a game yet. I'm coming from NJ (from the west of the stadium) and was thinking of just driving into Harrison and parking at the stadium. How's the traffic and parking been?

24. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be OK for Wednesday. Get off 280 in Harrison and follow signs to public garage - $10 pretty easy to get in/out, especially for a game like this.

Other option is to get off 280 at Rt. 21 exit in Newark - McCarter Highway. Take right then go a few lights up to Market St. and hang a left. Park in the lot next to MMM Bello's - also $10 but you can have a beer before the game - 10/15 minute walk to the stadium from there.

25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I went to the Seattle match, made it there a half-hour before the game, and had absolutely no problems parking. Once you get close, there are signs everywhere for parking. Just follow the shiny-vested people! :D