Parking in Harrison

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by JBigjake, Mar 8, 2010.

1. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the few times I can use the "fixed your post" constructively. :)

2. Mille_RULZ

Mille_RULZ New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    New JACK City, NY
    From Grand Central... get on the 4 or 5 express downtown to Fulton St. Get off, walk one long block to the PATH at World Trade.. Take that to HArrison.

Reverse, Rinse, Repeat

3. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    echo... echo... echo...

4. Mille_RULZ

Mille_RULZ New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    New JACK City, NY
    Soccerhound, get on the right PATH. Going to 33rd and 6th ave for that PATH is slow...because you have to change at Journal Square...and it has more stops. 23rd, 14th, 9th, Christopher, Hoboken, Pavonia, Grove, Journal square... CHANGE TRAINS... Harrison.

You go downtown and pick up the Path at World Trade. FOUR STOPS
    Exchange Place, Grove St, Journal Square, Harrison.

From Grand Central...if the timing is right...
    3 minutes from Platform to the Downtown Express track,
    12 minutes to go 3 stops (14th, Brooklyn Bridge, Fulton)
    5 minute walk from Subway to PATH.
    20 minutes to HArrision (probably less.

35 minutes to Harrison....if you time it right... 45

We will be drinking beers whilst you are stuck with shoppers on the midtown PATH train.

5. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bring a stopwatch and time it... :D

If nobody else was on the train maybe 3 minutes, but I never sit in the first or last car, so it would be closer to 10 minutes to get off the train till the subway.

On a Saturday the trains run about every 10-15 minutes, so unless you hit it right you will wait an average of 5 minutes.

Add the wait time for the path, 5 minutes.

Still an hour....but I will trust you guys and try this one.

Edit: Path trains run every 15 minutes and it takes exactly 20 per the web site.

6. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    it's the platform wait time that's hard to gauge. It's like hitting all green lights driving thru town one day and the next it's nothing but reds.

7. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    FWIW the PATH trains are very reliable schedule-wise. I would say they arrive +/- 2 minutes of the listed time about 95% of the time, even on weekends.

And i definitely agree with those who suggest taking the WTC train instead of the 33rd if it's a reasonable option for you.

8. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    You people disappoint me with your slow attitudes. I can't stand walking slow anywhere in Manhattan. It's funny seeing everyone allocate 30 minutes from GCT to the 33rd PATH station when it always takes me 15 minutes to walk between the two.

Also, it usually takes me less than a minute, usually less than 30 seconds, to get out of any station, regardless of how full it is. Just don't sit in the train, stay standing in front of the doors, get in front of everyone, and run up the stairs (by far the slowest, most annoying section of any station. I often feel like pushing people down because of how slow the walk up and down the stairs).

Of course, I say this as a young college student with a nervy, crowded city speed walking addiction. :D

9. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i completely agree. it bothers me how slow people walk everywhere. i walk fast even when i'm not in a hurry

10. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    With a family of four I can't decide what's most time and cost effective. If it will take two plus hours by train will it really take much longer by car, when it only takes 35-40 minutes to get to Harrison? Would it really take an hour sitting in traffic to park by the Arena?

11. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it. I'm sure a car will be faster, assuming you don't get stuck waiting for bridge traffic, but you also need to factor in tolls and paying for parking, fuel, etc. Not to mention the beer factor.

12. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Very good point.

13. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You obvioously don't take metro north very often. You cannot bowl over 200 people. I am a very fast walker. No I am not going to run. There is no reason for that. The idea is to have a relaxing trip and to enjoy it.

If you tried to push me down, I would have no problem tripping you and watching your stupid face hit the concrete

14. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Well, I have only taken the Metro North three times, but one of those was at rush hour, and at GCT I managed to get to the street in a little over a minute. Once you calculate the best ways of starting off at the front of the crowd, including being in the right car and standing nest to the door long before you need to, it's not very difficult. Though that certainly is borderline OCD on my part.

Also, I was joking about the pushing down thing, but I'm curious, how would you be able to trip me if I already pushed you down? Would you grab me while on the floor, in a "I'm down, but I'll take you with me" manner? :D

15. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Just don't push your luck (or me!) coming off the Hudson River Line. :mad:;)

16. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not having to deal with driving through crappy weather is another consideration that should come into play tomorrow.

17. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I have taken metro north about 500 times or more, which is why I don't sit in the front or back cars. The poster talking about will have a kid with him, so you have to factor that into the equation. With me, it was the wife.

I also stand early. My benchmark is the emergency exit at 59th street.

Because of the rain I will be taking the train tomorrow. I will bring a pen and paper to write down how long each segment takes me.

18. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waterproof ink?

19. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm taking the tunnel into I-9 and parking around Ferry st, I'm walking over the bridge.
    Also there's a trolly going around Ferry st. that takes you to the RBA for free. I think you need to shows your tickets.

20. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sharpie written on my arm...:D

21. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    My apologies for apparently missing this somewhere along the lines, but what happened to the 5,000 parking spots right next to the stadium that Red Bull promised as recently a year ago? :confused:

22. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think something called a recession and every states budget going into the sh@tter had something to do with it.

23. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is supposed to be a 4,000 space parking structure nearby. I just read somewhere this past week that only 1,500 of those are currently available. Also, there are lots near the PATH station to use. And all those lots aren't Red Bull property.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6dZh_FWGac"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6dZh_FWGac[/ame]

24. sickofitall

sickofitall New Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    why would you want to drive!! so much traffic.

25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sounds like my town. 10 minutes to make it 2 miles off the highway. Though, the worst traffic we have is for 4,000 people going to hockey games, not 25,000 for the best soccer stadium in North America.