parking at the hauptbahnhof/bahnhof?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by ironduke2010, Jun 1, 2006.

1. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this may sound like a stupid question since people probably don't usually combine driving and riding the train in the same trip over in germany, but i'm looking to do just that. are there any public parking lots near train stations where you can park for hours or overnight? specifically near the frankfurt hauptbanhof, and generally at some of the out lyinging regional stations at various cities.

i know here in the states many (but not all) light rail and urban train stations have lots of parking, but then everything is built around parking around here.

thanks

didn't see this covered anywhere else.

2. GoWahoos

GoWahoos New Member

May 27, 2006
    Does anyone know if they have lockers or bag storage at the train stations in germany and specifically at the train station in gelsenkirchen?? I need to drop my bags there before the USa/Czech Rep Game. If anyone knows for sure I would really appreciate an answer . THANKS!!!

3. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't have gelsenkirchen specific info, but yeah, i've heard from many sources, not just on these boards, that there are not only lockers but also, at the larger stations, luggage storage rooms. i would imagine the hauptbahnhofs have these, since they are the main/central stations. not sure about the bahnhofs, and my guess is the u-bahn stations don't have much at all. you can always store stuff at the hauptbahnhof and make your way back there afterwards though.

now, any info on that parking?:confused:

4. abalada

abalada New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Germany
    Parking
    Driving into the city centre as far as to the Hauptbahnhof (main railway station) is no good idea. Parking at these stations is only for far distance train customers and quite expensive. Like all parking in central areas.
    Many S-Bahn and U-Bahn stations in the outskirts have however a Park&Ride place. Normally cheap, sometimes even for free.
    S-Bahn and U-Bahn network Frankfurt - see there for the blue P+R symbols next to the stops.

Luggage lockers
    All train stations of size have lockers.
    Gelsenkirchen Hbf has definitly lockers. If these are enough for a World Cup match day is another question. Gelsenkirchen is normally not a tourist hot spot.
    There are only very left luggage offices still in operation. Less than a dozen in whole Germany.