Park Ji Sung the defender???

Discussion in 'Korea' started by soccermoney, Sep 13, 2003.

1. soccermoney

soccermoney New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    california
    I think since he sucked pretty bad in attacking, he was moved during the match as a right defender, i guess the exact opposite position of Lee Young Pyo.
    I don't know if this happens alot but are players moved positions like that that easily? Like moving from striker to attacking midfielder is reasonable but all the way back as a defender? Does that mean he's gonna play that position?

ps. he wasnt the greatest of defenders

2. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Many of the Korean players are used to playing multi-positions.

Almost all of Korean defenders were once strikers during their career.(that's also one of main reasons why Korea doesn't produce much quality stoppers who've played that position for a long time)

Having said that, JS Park's original position had been the Volante. I think he can basically play all positions except the goalie and preferably on the right side.

3. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    That is a bad sign.

4. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Did Park play as a wing back for the Utrecht match? If so, that really sucks. Maybe he is not good enough. It seems many of the Korean players are sloted in the periphial role as wing backs. Song for instance is a rignt wing back in Feyenoord.

5. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Isn't his best spot in the "hole" right behind 2 strikers? That's where he was most effective with Purple Sanga.

6. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Maybe I didn't read the right quote, but they said Park played right wing back, not attacking mid field.

7. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    If Park plays as a rightwing back, that would degrade him being in PSV. How many more WING BACKS? I mean, Lee and Song do that in their respective clubs. So Park would be just another player in the BACK!

8. soccermoney

soccermoney New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    california
    Yea, he started the match right behind kezman in the middle of the attack, but then halfway through the first half, hiddink put John De Jong, the forward substitute into the match for Casper Vogeland, the right wing back. De Jong soon took JS Park's spot in the attack and Park went to where Vogeland was for the rest of the match. I was very disturbed, since the whole point of my watching the match is watching park score a goal.
    The substitution came right after Park had a clear chance to score a goal, when it was him and the GK Ponk, and Ponk stopped Park as Park shot right into Ponk. ahhaha. yea but this worries me too.

9. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    In his former team, he was never on the back line. Always attacking mid or even at forward. Defensive mid should be the deepest he plays. Never the back line.

10. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Well, tomorrow, they play a CL match, and hopefully Park will get back his form and his position!

11. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    that's exactely what Hiddink liked about the Korean players. Put 'em wherever you want and it'll still work. Maybe he thought PSV needed some change to its attacking strategy and also thought that the wingback sucked. So maybe he did that change.

Remember that Park's original used to be the defensive mid so he shouldn't be new with the defensive role.

12. soccermoney

soccermoney New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    california
    Park and PSV's disappointment from the CL match went kinda nuts and I guess Kezman is trashing his teammates. I guess they deserve it. They better have a better showing against Song chong guk, cuz theyre record at Feyenoord's de Kuip is pretty horrible and Lee got punked there badly last year.

13. juventusatlanta

juventusatlanta New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Atlanta
    While I'm not sure that JS Park is best utilized as a right back, I also don't think he's suited well to play in the "hole", or up-front, for that matter.

IMO, Park is best when he has space and can take people on - this means playing somewhere on the flank, and preferrably right flank. He dusted Panucci in the WC time and time again playing out wide. His strike against Portugal in the WC came from playing on the flank.

He is a very strong player, when played in the correct spot. If you've been watching his PSV games this year, you'll notice that he loses the ball way too often handling it in the middle and in the final third. His best spot is right midfielder, where he can get up and down the field, use his speed to take on defenders and create from out wide.

And believe me, Hiddink likes him (and YP Lee for that matter) and believes he can contribute, or he would not be cracking the starting 11 on that side. He just needs to find a better spot for him.