Paris 2024: XXXIII Summer Olympiad Discussion

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Mar 20, 2024.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The groups were drawn for the Men’s football tournament today. We’ll be in Group B along with Morocco, AFC 3, and Ukraine.

D035FD5D-53E1-45B5-AFE1-C6D4E8CCC5F0.jpeg

AFC 3 will barely be determined in May, when the Asian U23 cup concludes, but the favorites would probably be Qatar, Australia, Japan, and Saudi Arabia (the likes of South Korea and Iran failed to qualify for the pre-olympic tournament).

We’ll begin our Olympic journey on Wednesday, July 24th vs Morocco (ten days after the Copa America final), before proceeding to face off AFC 3 and then Ukraine in the final match of the group stage.

Should we advance, we’ll be playing either the winner or runner-up of Group A (likely either France or United States) in Quarter Finals.

Argentina will be looking to win the Mens Football Olympic Gold for the third time, a distinction that would make them the most successful nation in the tournament alongside Hungary and Great Britain.

————

Other team sports Argentina will be participating in during this edition of the Olympics include men’s handball, hockey (men’s and women’s), and rugby sevens. We’ll also have canoeing, cycling, equestrian, modern pentathlon, rowing, swimming, tennis, and yachting representatives, among other possible disciplines.

2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We will play Morocco, which is basically France Lite, in terms of personnel and in terms of support. Our fans will naturally travel for most of the events but it is going to be interesting to see how the Frenchies react to our Olympians.

Masche better get his head out of his ass. We need to win the group. It will give us a better path towards medal contention. The other side will likely have France and the Gallegos. Our side is basically the USA(who we could possibly play in the QFs) and then Asian side mixed with a few weaker sides.

3. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  5. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

6. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He is getting traded this summer - that's how I read it. If Boca needs to renew, I don't know why it matters if he is at the Olympics (I could be wrong). But to me it seems like Boca already has suitors. Rumors were that Inter Milan was interested. If he does go to Inter Milan, he will get an offer to join the Italian national team :laugh: - that's how it goes now.

Mashcerano only has one more chance.

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well at least one Europe-based player has been granted permission to join the Olympic squad:

22E31F25-5F13-487D-B7D3-72E4E60C6CDC.jpeg

With Varela’s inclusion our midfield could look very interesting… Varela, Echeverri, Almada, Medina, Equi.. possibly Zenon. Not bad..

Hopefully other European teams follow Porto’s example and release their players.. I heard Beltran also supposedly got the green light, which would be huge since we are missing a 9 of that caliber

ganapordiego, SupaMario and soul24rage repped this.
  8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    According to this article, we’re going to try to get Enzo Fernandez, Dibu, Otamendi, and Julian into the Olympics?

Not sure how much truth there is to this, especially in Enzo and Julian’s case where it’s hard to imagine their PL teams releasing them, but if we somehow manage to pull that off our team would take on a whole new dimension. Really if Mascherano ********s it up with those names, I don’t know what to say..

———

SupaMario and soul24rage repped this.
  9. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Apparently the Brighton players will be the hardest to get.

No Barco could be trouble, I didn't like Esquivel in the match he got to play vs Paraguay but I don't watch him that often tbh.

I also don't expect Garnacho to be part of this.

My prediction:

GKs
    1. Dibu
    2. Brey

DFs
    3. Giay or Lujan
    4. Di Cesare
    5. Valentini or Gomez
    6. Otamendi
    7. Barco or Esquivel

MFs
    8. Varela
    9. Equi
    10. Redondo or Medina
    11. Enzo
    12. Carboni
    13. Echeverri or Buonanotte

FWs
    14. Soule
    15. Almada
    16. Beltran
    17. Alvarez
    18. Gondou or Castro

Dream XI :whistling:

-------------------Dibu--------------------
    Giay---Otamendi---Gomez---Barco
    -------Equi-----Enzo-----Carboni-----
    ---Soule------Julian------Almada-----

SupaMario, locoxriver and soul24rage repped this.
  10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We basically won 2008 Olympics solely on talent alone. Batista was a novice but you cant lose youth tournament with Roman, Masche, Messi, Aguero, Di Maria, Lavezzi, Banega & Zabaleta. Bielsa 2004 team was another level though, 17-0 & won every matches.

However, Masche seems like his team never really put strings of good performance. Its usually 2 good performances at most and then lose the next game. Placente's team was really good in recent u17 tournament and only lost on penalties to Germany in semi. He should replace Masche if we fail at Olympics/

11. Loco

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We should not get made if Valentin Barco does not go to any summer tournaments, nor should anyone act surprise. The kid has gotten to a bit of a rough start at Brighton and might be loaned out this summer; in which case, no summer tournaments. He is a bright future for Argentina and potentially a LB/LWB for the next 8-10 years for the Albiceleste, however, he is a bit small and needs to develop. In addition, Brighton might be in trouble b/c De Zerbi is leaving this summer and could really set the club back.

I think Barco has got a bright future ahead of him, but wouldn't be surprise if he is not available this summer.

12. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agreed that I don't anticipate Barco to be in any summer tournaments (For Copa, due to options and for the Olympics, due to Brighton potentially not letting him go).

Although he had a rough start and has a lot to learn, he played well recently and I doubt that he's going on loan.

13. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    He was good in their last two games. I'm 100% sure they will NOT loan him out now. Brighton fans I read on social media are high on him currently because he brought a spark that the rest of their squad seems to have lost in the last few months. They like him more than Buonanotte already.

De Zerbi leaving is not that big a deal, that club has a clear strategy. Back in the day Potter left and not much changed.

soul24rage repped this.
  14. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'll watch us at the Olympics but I'm pretty much going into this blind, don't know much about the other teams who are competing, I assume the French will be fancied, anyone else to look out for?

15. Loco

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The French will be showing up with Mbappe leading the charge, and will be loaded.
    The Spanish team will also be very good.

You never know about teams like the US and Japan who don't really poses the quality at the senior level, but they always send teams that are tough outs for skilled teams like Argentina.

But my guess is that the preliminary favorites are ze French, Argentina and Spain (in this order).

16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Apparently Mbappe has walked-back on the Olympics thing. He’s said it’s up to his club and Madrid will not let him go for both the Euros and the Olympics, particularly if they have some tour.

17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Buonanotte taking the approach Mario often says players should take..

982DF58D-694F-4679-8605-42D9E2585208.jpeg

Slowly but surely our Olympic squad is forming quite nicely

ganapordiego, Rattlehead and SupaMario repped this.
  18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, I never understood why the players never took a hardline approach. What is the club going to do, stop them at the airport? At worst, they’ll get benched a few games and that’ll be that. Somebody from the club probably tells them,

“Well, if you get injured, we can void your contract because you were not given permission to go…” It’s clearly a bluff.

Messi set the precedent many years ago. He went when he was told numerous times he was not permitted to go. Even the high courts said no.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSB291545/

Players should've followed suit. And kudos to Facu for taking such a stance.

19. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would be very surprised if Madrid allow Mbappe to play in both the Olympics and Euros.

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol, good ol’ Julian was not content with the World Cup, Copa America, Copa Libertadores, Champions League, Premier League, Primera Division, Finalissima, Recopa, UEFA Supercup, FA Cup, and Copa Argentina and decided to go for the final piece he was missing :laugh:

Probably still has a thorn stuck after having to miss out on the olympic tournament in 2020..

soul24rage, SupaMario and ganapordiego repped this.
  22. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Seems like Otamendi is confirmed as well.

Also still waiting confirmation for Dibu, Enzo and Garnacho to be in the Olympic squad.

Maybe Barco and Valentini too?

If all them goes, what a squad!

-------------------------Julian
    Garnacho-----------------------------------Soule
    ---------------Enzo-------------Equi Fernandez
    -------------------------Varela
    Barco------Valentini-------Otamendi-------Nardoni
    --------------------------Dibu

Depending on the squad France will have, if this team don't reach the final, I will be disappointed.

locoxriver and SupaMario repped this.
  23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The problem is that we have P. T. Barnum as our manager. He'll find a way to screw things up. I am just hoping there is enough talent to mitigate his glaring flaws.

soul24rage repped this.
  24. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They just need to do the opposite of what Mascherano says and play their own game. This team is too talented not to do well in the Olympics.

SupaMario and locoxriver repped this.
  25. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Much like the 2008 team. At youth level, its possible to win it on talent alone sometimes. African teams tend to do well just by relying on physical attributes.

SupaMario, locoxriver and soul24rage repped this.