Pardews time is up

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by gpike, Nov 21, 2004.

1. gpike

gpike New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    There is no doubt that Pardew was handed a poisoned chalice when he took on the job. With no money to spend and needing to make savage cuts in the playing staff ultimately, the blame lies with the board who are responsable of breaking up one of the best West Ham sides ever. With their appointment of Roader and the lack of investment in the squad they have destoyed a side that could have been the basis of WH being in the Prem for the next 10 -15 years.
    I have been a supporter of Pardew and I think that he has bought in good enough players with little or no budget to win this league but...
    Tactically he is not up to it. The side is never settled it changes every week.
    We are in a goal slump of very worrying proportions. If we go one goal down that is more or less it.
    Players do not know their role in the side. They play well for a half then get pulled off for "tactical reasons" Take today, he goes into the game with one up on a damage limitation agenda. Next away game he may go with an attacking formation. How can the players ever play to a system?
    We have never been able to win more than two games on the trot.

I feel sorry for Pardew but unfortunately he is not the answer.
    Unless the club has a change of direction we are destened to be mid table at best.

2. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with every word, but if Pardew's not the answer then who is?

3. claret50

claret50 Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    From the match report, "Pardew: I'm under pressure

West Ham manager Alan Pardew is no longer certain he has the full backing of the club's directors after today's 1-0 defeat at Millwall."

At this point in time I feel it would be very unwise to sack Pardew, whoever the board appointed as a possible replacement for AP, would have the same problems, no dosh = no quality players, lets face it, we're a mediocre 2nd division team at present, hopefully Brown will by an Island in the Caribbean and leave West Ham to someone who cares about this club

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Sir Trev come back, atleast on a caretaker business? I think most of us would have preferred him to stay on after Rodent had the heath problems.

5. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sir trev, to whom i used to delivermilk, will not and cannot return; he has a job at the FA which precludes it. Pardew is the best there is available. He is a capable manager> he can do the job given the resources. He was not my first choice, Dowie was, but we have to stick with him and support him. Who else is there? Harry? I think not. Adams, a possibility but a terrible risk. Pearce? He should have moved into mangement years ago, the fact that he hasnt shows a lack of something. Pardew is our best bet.

6. hammer_scout51

hammer_scout51 New Member

Oct 19, 2004
    I'm with stomper 100%. A manager does not become bad overnight. Who do we get? i wanted Dowie, as i have said dozens of times. Remember Pardew only bought Harewood and Teddy in. Brown sold Defoe, Pardew insisted on Zamora as an addition to the deal great move. Rebrov was the 4th striker, on a free he would have been Browns choice by a country mile. He's got quality but can he handle the physical side of the championship? Pardew has had injuries to key players, it happens and unfortunately the stand ins have not performed.
    Tactics are an idividual choice, i have a fifa certification coaching badge on tactics taught by our Ron in the 70's. Harry who i rated, was slagged down as tactically inept. Roeder a top coach with no man management skills, was also critisized for being hopeless tactically. Yet he guided us to 7th after loosing Lampard. Fact, the most succesful manager Fergie had played 4411 formation with Scholes behind Van. It never worked. Last year coaching under 21's top divi 1 youth, i had the best team in the league. However once i had to sub one of my top 11 the 4 reserves didn't rate. Tactics didn't count for much in my opinion. If Teddy had stayed fit i think we would have picked up more points. Unfortunately one player doesn't make a team.

7. 147man

147man New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Kenilworth
    I'm sure you're right that a Manager doesn't become bad overnight - After all Pardews record with Reading was quite a lot better than his record with us has been.

I understand that he is operating under trying circumstances and I'm not sure whether I blame him or the players for our worrying current form, all I know is the current setup is not working, being whipped fairly often in the Premiership I could always live with, we were quite often punching above our weight, but I get scared when I hear all the "What a great squad WHUFC have got..." quotes as they bring back painful memories.

We haven't got a great squad because they aren't winning games of Football.

I am largely ignorant (but becoming less so) about tactics, formations and the like - I am certainly not ignorant about man management, motivation and recognising skill but I am still scratching my head for an answer.

Do you think AP is doing the same?

What do you think is wrong? Is it just a blip? (lets face it the mighty Arse are having one of those)

Before the deluge of replies blaming Terry Brownstain, what can practicably be done.

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. canadahammer

canadahammer New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Vancouver Island BC
    Haven't posted in awhile as I thought it was me bringing the team down but now its clear its Pardew with his poor tactics.
    Very sad as I was behind the man but he's gotta go while we're all still sane.

10. hammer_scout51

hammer_scout51 New Member

Oct 19, 2004
    Good point 147 man Brown is there to stay hate or loathe what he has done.

I can only go by all the papers and reports. However i do understand that we have dominated most games. Unfortunately we have not put the opposition away.

People critisize the 4.5.1 against Millwall while we played 442 against Chelsea. Simple really in the EPL you get more time on the ball as the players are better. In the championship its move it or suffer, players like Muscat excell physically but in elite company they are out of their depth. 451 is a great formation for certain games and if Teddy was fit he would have played behind Harewood. I get the feeling Pardew feels Rebrov to lightweight for the championship. Zamora is sadly lacking in confidence, i'd love to see Ashton at Upton Park.
    Pardews motivational qualities must be called into question at the moment. However while in charge he must back himself and what he has. Chadwick seems to run out of steam some games, so good or bad he was the logical sub when at 0-0 you go a man down.
    Roe on WHO suggests give Cohen and Noble games, i'd like to see Noble as the creative force. I'd also take a gamble with Rebrov, Harewood is a Heskey type player who a bits and pieces man could feed off.

11. Footstomper

Footstomper New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Frederick MD
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    OK. These are the candidates for the portsmouth job. Which one would you have at West ham instead of Pardew?
    Evens: Velimir Zajec
    5/1: Micky Adams
    6/1: Gary Megson
    10/1: Glen Hoddle
    10/1: Dave Jones
    10/1: Joe Jordan
    10/1: Gordon Strachan
    12/1: Gerard Houllier

I thought not.