Panama fined for US incidents

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by sangreazul, Jun 28, 2005.

1. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Didn't know where to put this, but some people might find interesting even as just a side note ...

http://mediotiempo.com/pi/noticia.php?id_noticia=7421 (in Spanish)

FIFA fined the Panamanian Futbol Federation $4,000 for incidents that took place at the end WCQ between Panama and the United States at the Rommel fernandez stadium. Fans appearantly started throwing objects at the US players at the end of the game. Any more incidents and they will have the stadium suspended.

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    HA!

Osama this, you pricks.

3. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    4K should really put the fear of God in them. They'll have to lease extra space on the team plane to whatever drug lord is running Noreiga's old network to cover that hefty fine.

Any news on the tackle on Dempsey?

4. ciuperci

ciuperci New Member

May 10, 2004
    Wow, great news!

5. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    so what did costa rica do to the mexicans to have their next home match played before reporters only???

6. GoodForUS

GoodForUS Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Pennsyl-tucky
    I'm not sure about this but it may be that Panama may have to do the same thing. In that article it says:

"las autoridades suspendieron la preventa de boletos para el partido de este país ante Costa Rica el 9 de Septiembre en el Rommel Fernández con el fin de evitar incidentes..."

"the authorities suspended the presale of tickets to the match against Costa Rica on the 9th of Sept. in Rommel Fernandez stadium with the intention of avoiding incidents..."

I don't know if this is just that they are temporarily suspending sales pending figuring something out or if they aren't going to be selling tickets to the match at all. Hopefully it's the latter as that will mean a hell of a lot more to the association that a measly $4,000 fine.

7. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    heh, i never knew the panamanians were so undisciplined. :p

8. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Isn't $4K just about their entire GDP?

9. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think 4K isn't much, even for a poor country such as Panama. Hooah

10. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    The fine is not that big of a deal to me, but the threat of playing in an empty stadium is. All home field advantage for a Central American teams comes from the fans; you can essentially see those players feed off the emotions i.e. the pure hatred for the U.S. flowing through the crowd. If the U.S. ever played at Guatemala or at Costa Rica in an empty stadium, all homefield advantage is throw out the window. This is where those teams would be hurt the most, and I hope this sets a solid future precedent.

Also, those guys can be friends with Osama all they want, but it did not prevent a 3-0 thrashing.

11. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

dont forget that they ARE IN LAST PLACE :D

0 wins
    2 ties
    3 losses

12. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    In fairness I think the Costa Rican fans treated the Mexicans much worse, I don't even remember hearing much about fans hurling many things at our guys after that game -- maybe its cause they're used to it. But if you saw the video from Costa Rica, I think we can understand why they couldn't play at their stadium the next game and Panama likely will be able to.

13. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    "Estadio Rommel Fernandez"

Who names their kid Rommel? An Argentinian or Brazilian I can maybe see, but a Panamanian?

14. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But the Ricans has JUSTIFICATION. Their vitriol was aimed at the Mexicans, who, deserve such treatment.

:p

15. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not quite related, but I found this regarding a fine handed down to Douglas Sequeiria for his actions in the US-CR WCQ

16. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a name that's used infrequently, hey, even some Filipinos have it as a first name...

17. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    Frequently or Infrequently? Even as a German, or maybe even especially as a German, I would hesitate to name my kid after the best general of the Nazi era. Even if he did conspire to blow Hitler up.

18. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    So, what happens when the American fans scream "Migra!" at Columbus Crew Stadium in a few weeks?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

19. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would really love to see an old-school European-style clash between Mexicans and Americans during a game!

20. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd prefer this game without the collapsing stands option, please.

Particularly bc I'll be in those stands.

:eek:

21. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I like this.

IMO, fans... do whatever you want in the crowds, heckle the players, whatever. But once they try to instill bodily injury adn harm against any player, they need to be punished. And if the federations are not willing to take accountability into the safety of the players, then they need to be fined. I think the $4K is the tip of the iceberg. Future infractions will be dealt with more severely with higher fines or forfeiture of home fixtures before forfeiture in general.

I think FIFA's cracking down on this garbage and has looked at CONCACAF a bit more recently. Remember - it wasn't very long ago that Costa Rica was punished for something too. Who knows... maybe it has to do with the growing number of players signing big contracts abroad and gaining exposure for the region. It would be a bit of a sock in general if the top players from the countries refused to play in the matches in the miserable uncontrolled regions of the federation for fear of being injured not even on the pitch, but due to horrid crowd control. What club in their right mind wouldn't fight about that?

22. moreno9

moreno9 Member+

Aug 24, 2002
    Henrico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad to see that incident didn't get swept under the rug but I didn't expect he would end up with a US$5,500 fine. The given excuse of why he wouldn't leave the field was that he was making sure Cherundolo was alright. OK, that makes sense but he seemed a bit more animated than that IMO.