Palermo v. Messina - Match Thread (10 April)

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by TroisièmeRobert, Apr 7, 2005.

1. TroisièmeRobert

TroisièmeRobert New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Route 210, yo.
    So here goes...

Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!! You'll pay for the whole seat, but you'll only use the edge!

Should be a good match at the Renzo. Palermo's still in it for Europe at 6th with 44 points, only three and four back from Sampdoria and Udinese, respectively. Messina's mid-table at 12th with 36 points.

Messina's been in good form lately, with 3 shutouts, and Palermo has both Barazagli and Barone out on suspension. Should be tight, maybe another 0-0?

Does anybody have pics of the last Sicilian Derby? Crowd stuff, especially. Fill in other info if you run across it, like referee, possible lineups, television (radio?) access, etc.

2. SICILIANSOCCERFAN

SICILIANSOCCERFAN New Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Toronto
    well, tln is once again televising the game (as they had planned last week)
    if your fortunate enough to live in Canada....I will not be making any predictions because when these two teams meet i feel very conflicted....I know Palermo needs the three points more to het a possible C.L spot....but i could never go against Messina where my father was born.

3. AmericanRosanero

AmericanRosanero New Member

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    IT'S DERBY TIME, MI AMICHI!

this is going to a right wicked game. I call a 1-0 win for the home side and I say it shall be Brienza.

FORZA PALERMO!

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I'm going for 2-0. After a dodgy March, I can see the players stepping up a gear and focusing on the push for the CL spot. We need to cut out the amount of bookings though. It will end up costing us. Perhaps we can deal with that after this match... :D

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    RAI International will also be showing this game. I'm looking forward to seeing what I'm sure will be a passionate atmosphere. I'm sure the fans will be ready to cheer after a week of mourning.

BTW, does anybody else dislike having so many sticky threads that it's hard to find active unstuck threads like this one. I tend to think fewer sticky threads in a forum is better, but since I think it was Cassano's idea, I'll let him opine.

6. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was Troiseme Robert's idea. But I think it was a good idea because what about if you are trying to look for a club thread that was not updated in a long time it's just right at the top of the forum...

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    But but .... don't they rarely drop off the front page because they're all pretty active.....? ie why not sticky the Lecce thread as well; it's completely disappeared. In general, I think stickies should be for a) something of temporary high importance (eg the poll threads) or b) items of general interest that don't often get updated. My opinion is that, at any given time, there should be no more than 2-3 at the most. But anyway, sorry for the threadjack. I just hate the way stickies make a board look.

Forza Palermo!

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I know it counts for nothing, but I agree with Sue.

9. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OK, if you want me to unstick them I'll unstick them...

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Much better. Thanks. :)

11. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Palermo got the victory. That last goal should have counted, but Palermo still got the 3 points anyway. Corini's ejection was pretty ridiculous, though the first yellow card on Aronica was equally unwarrented, but he more than made up for that with that second foul.

12. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping Roma would be able to hold their lead against Udinese. And I was hoping Cagliari would pull off a win versus Sampdoria. Both matches were a draw. I think both Roma and Cagliari are far enough behind to not be too much of a worry, as we should still be gunning for that last Champions League spot. Next week though, it's a huge one for Palermo versus Sampdoria.

13. AmericanRosanero

AmericanRosanero New Member

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Toni Toni TOOOOONI!

Still in reach on the CL, and I'm sure Il Renzo was absolutely NUTS. I hope to GOD Yahoo has rebroadcast rights to this.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I was almost right with my prediction, but at least we picked up the win. Thanks to the other results, we are now 1 point behind Sampdoria and 2 behind Udinese. Like Gioca said above, next week against Sampdoria will be crucial. Udinese play Messina, but I don't think we can expect any favours from them. Unfortunately, the team also decided to ignore my booking advice and Corini was sent off. Let's hope they cut this out sooner, rather than later.

15. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Palermo were good, but at times it seemed they fell asleep and Messina looked much better. Also, Palermo have to thank the post for keeping out Parisi's screamer. That was an absolute rocket. But, I hope Palermo does get a CL spot. No easy time vs. Samp next week though...

16. obernunes

obernunes New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    California
    Very good result for Palermo. They played very well, though Messina did as well. Messina is not that bad. They just don't get many breaks falling their way. I hope Toni stays. It'll be fun to see where Palermo takes this this year and next year.

17. SICILIANSOCCERFAN

SICILIANSOCCERFAN New Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Toronto

Lovely to hear my fellow Palermo fans giving respect to Messina who has surprised many this year....Both teams played quite well and the game was enjoyable....I only hope Messina can do u boys a favour next week against a very good Udine side thats seams to be scoring like mad...It's in Messina so fingers crossed....If everything works out next week, Palermo will be in the last C.L spot....

18. obernunes

obernunes New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    California
    I actually like Messina's chances next week. Udinese scores a lot of goals against weak defenses (Roma and Lecce come to mind), but they don't do so consistently. Messina's defense is decent. Just ask Milan. Messina can win that match.

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Nice game to watch despite being played in horrendous conditions. The fans did their best, but the raincoats must've muffled the noise. And no flares in the rain. But still a good atmosphere and a good game by both sides. Even that awful ref Pieri couldn't manage to ruin it.