Palencia to Chivas USA

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by brinobyrne, Jul 5, 2005.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we know how he feels?

But have we seen any reports of Paco not wanting to come to LA now? I'm just asking, really.

I recall that he said he didn't want to come at the beginning of the MLS season so that he could redeem himself in front of the Guadalajara fans for what he perceived to be his own failure at the end of the previous MFL season. If that was really his motivation, then he's certainly had a very nice run in the just completed MFL season and the Libertadores. We've also seen reports that Galindo may be upset that he's losing Palencia and probably not getting a comparable replacement. But have we seen anything indicating how Palencia himself feels about coming to LA now, as opposed to several months ago?

If he's displeased with the move now, then, yes, it'll just be more polemica that won't help the team. But if his head is in the right place, then he should have a big impact on the field and in the stands. He certainly still has the talent.

2. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Palencia is 32 and was on Mexico's teams in France 98 and Japorea 2002. He's still got a lot of good soccer left in him.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HELL yes he does!

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    my bad. i thought he was 23...

5. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Me thinks Mono Mario is still upset over Palencia because of the 2001 Copa Libertadores.

[​IMG]

6. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    To me, Chivas problem hasn't really been scoring. They've been ok there, not great, but ok.

It is their defense that is a joke. So disorganized and just a lack of bite. Boosting the offense can only help so much.

It will be interesting to see just how good Palencia and Garcia are, and if they can carry the team in MLS.

7. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    From ESPN Deportes (in Spanish)

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/story?id=342876

"Palencia could stay (with chivas)"

There's a quote from Antonio Cue who acknowledges that Palencia could stay with Guadalajara if it is determined that it is best for the institution. If that's the case, he would go to chivas usa at the beginning of 2006. The meeting between Cue and Palencia is on July 13th. Vurrently Palencia is on vacation. Cue also acknowleges that the decision for Palencia to report to los angeles was not definate.

8. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always seems like a see-saw when it comes to Palencia joining Chivas USA or not. I am no Chivas fan, but personally I think it would be good for the league in general for him to join the club since it would likely make Goats USA more competitive. Therefore I am hoping he makes his move to MLS.

9. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Fvck.

Well, that's that. I guess Palencia is not coming after all. If Cue is already saying that he could stay in Mexico and already has a contingency plan, it's not going to happen. Chivas MEX coach already said he wanted Palencia back in Mexico so it seems the only people from Chivas that want Palencia here is Cue.

If Palencia, or any other player for that matter, doesn't want to be here then he shouldn't come here. CDCU needs players who are going to want to play and do well here, not players who were talked into coming here.

10. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Also, one has to wonder how much a player of Palencia's age can bring to MLS. I know he was a member of El Tri (is he still...i.e. he's not on the Gold Cup roster), but he is aging and very close to over the hill. It's better than a 34 year old, but still he is not 27. If he doesn't come to MLS until 2006 he may be 33 and then falls into the category of just another over the hill player bought to come into MLS and sell tickets. And he's not as good as some of the other over the hill players who didn't make an impact in MLS. Then again, Preki is still scoring and he's over 40.

11. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don't think he's going to join. He has never wanted to do so and combined witht the fact that guadalajara really didn't pick up anybody on transfers, if their coach demands Palencia to stay, I'm sure he would. Also take into account that AMERICA just won the championship in the MFL and chivas has gone 8 years since last winning it. Pressure will be on them ....

12. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Damn you sangreazul for finding this story and bringing up all these good points and ruining my day :mad:

well, maybe you didn;'t ruin my day, but these last five minutes you sure ruined

13. hakko ace

hakko ace New Member

May 9, 2001
    Rancho Los Cerritos
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    i think it's great news for the league. paco and the youngster from atlas are top flight players. paco is a stud. very strong and hard to move off the ball. these two will have defenders back on their heels alright.

14. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    He's only 32 and still on the Mexican national team. Ramon Ramirez is 35 and is having a solid season.

15. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    I wish the grass at the Cathedral of U.S. Soccer [HDC] looked that good...

16. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now the ladies have a reason to watch Chivas.

17. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn the grass in that pick almost looks FAKE it looks so good!!!

18. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I've pretty much given up on the idea of Palencia coming this season. First off he just finished a long and extended season with the real Chivas. Second, if he's watched ANY of the MLS games on ESPN or FSWE, I would be hesitant to join myself... why? The crowds, the atmosphere, the talent, the fields, etc. all downhill from where he is now in some ways. If there is any reason for him to join at all its to tour the US and play in a league that is completely foreign to him and lay the smack down for the local Mexicans that would die to see him play.

One day he's playing against Boca Jrs. the next the Kansas City Wizards? 32 years of age is NOT OLD people. The guy is obviously in damn good shape.

19. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it looks like there's a good chance that Palencia may need to wait until next season.

But some more help may also be on the way in defense, and as someone pointed out above, they could use the help in that sector, too.

Chivas USA's cavalry must wait

20. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States