Pakistan in the news

Discussion in 'International News' started by JBigjake, Sep 16, 2010.

1. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    To be fair, it's an understandable reaction when that highly violent small number is saying it's because of their religion. Although those are not the ones saying theirs is a religion of peace.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joseph Kony proclaims himself a leader of the Lord's Resistance Army sanctioned by god, yet Christianity is not similarly tarnished by his insanity. Understandable though might be right, it does appear that many in the Middle East think that Christians are a bloodthirsty lot based on the actions of a few.

3. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  4. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say all, I specifically singled out the Islamic Terrorists, which is exactly what they are. I should think that you of all people would be able to differentiate between labeling all followers of Islam and terrorists who use Islam as the calling card for acts of terror.

If anyone misconstrued my meaning then let me be clear, all followers of Islam are not terrorists. Groups like the taliban, aq, hamas, hezbollah, islamic jihad, among the many others whose names I cannot recall such as the groups in Africa, and Asia are Islamic terrorists.

5. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this were the middles ages you would have a strong case to say that Christian are a bloodthirsty lot based on their actions. The Inquisition, and numerous other acts during that time definitely qualify as terrorism.

As for Kony, the second he starts committing heinous acts of violence on a par with what we have seen Islamic terrorists committ I will happily call him and his group terrorists

6. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #506 Waliatiger, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
    Hamas and palestinian Islamic jihad are no more terrorists the IDF you {MOD EDIT: OTL in this forum}.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The LRA are estimated to have killed around 65,000 people in Uganda alone, not even taking in to account the DRC and Sudan.

8. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hamas and islamic jihad are terrorists, or don't you think a long history of suicide bombers and attacks on night clubs, buses, bus stations, etc... count? And they aren't limited to terrorizing jews either, ask fatah members, those still alive, in Gaza about their tactics and actions.

9. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that I am completely ignorant of this person or the LRA. but the terrorist bastards should be taken down and destroyed just like any other terror group.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when Obama issues some orders to train and provide funding for the people going after Kony (I guess it did not come to much) and a coworker was so upset because she heard in Fox news that Obama was targeting Christian groups in Africa.

But hey I am all good with calling Kony and such people Christian terrorists. ;)

But they are just doing the lords work. :whistling:

11. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    But IDF bombings and air strikes that massacre children are alright in your book right? One man terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They started as an ethnic rebel group in Northern Uganda, but now they basically roam around the region killing people, kidnapping kids and trying to survive off ivory poaching.

US military advisors are still there but they are mostly concerned with Uganda and Kony and his group have moved into the DRC and CAR. They are shockingly good survivalists, basically living in the bush.

13. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean IDF bombs hamas who hide their rockets and launch from schools and then use their own people as propaganda to say look how bad Israel is for daring to attacking our weapons while they are hidden among women and children.

14. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the information. Sick disgusting bastards who would be quite correctly classified as Christian Terrorists and should be treated as such.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point was, just because a sick twisted group wraps itself in a certain flag, doesn't mean it represents the flag. If anything, associating Islam with this particular group of Taliban is exactly what they'd hope to accomplish from this. They perceived the world as attacking Islam and if they can convince as many people as possible to reenforce that thought process, it furthers their cause.

Waliatiger repped this.
  16. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly there are quite a few groups that are wrapping themselves up as Islamic Terrorists. I call them Islamic terrorists because it is an accurate depication of what they are, just as I will call Kony and his group Christian Terrorists because it is what they are. This should not and does not imply that Christians or Muslims are all terrorists, it simply classifies the groups.

17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  18. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I read that the actual masterminds have hidden in Kunar province on the Afghan side of the border.

Reprieve, a legal charity whose work I admire, have given accounts of people who are going to be executed who were not involved in terrorism offences.

I can understand the desire for vengeance, and I would support rescinding the moratorium on the death penalty for those involved in actual terrorist acts (not armed uprising against troops but attacks on civilians). And I also support the military offensive in Waziristan, at least in principle.

But the tribal areas cannot be dealt with purely through force. They need to use force but only as part of a strategy of bringing the civilian population in the tribal areas some security as well as disarming (or at least establishing a long lasting truce) with the militants. They need to stop supporting or commissioning drone strikes in those areas, start using force against militants in those areas only where it doesn't kill civilians, and stop the "disappearances" of civilians and alleged militants.

19. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

There is nothing in Umar's post that can be considered a "lie". The point he was making is that the victims themselves are of the Islamic faith, and that these terrorist attacks have more to do with socioeconomic and political issues in Pakistan than it does religious or ideological. Now how is that a lie?
    Them screaming "Allahu akbar" is neither here or there.

20. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Religion is an important aspect of this clash in Pakistan. In how the religion is perceived and carried out in ones culture. Sharia law is evil no doubt and many people in that part of the world believe in this crap. It is not a radical minority that people speak of. The idea that some group of people can plan to carry out attack against kids is unfathomable.

Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  21. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    No, I dont adhere to any religion and I believe in a secular state. But that has nothing to do with what I said earlier.

22. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Shariah Law is perfectly fine for me, far better than all the alternatives.

Chuma needs to educate himself on what Shariah actually is. So do a lot of Muslims.

23. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tell me about it.

24. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005