PAETAC Park

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Goldenstick, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Throwins

Throwins Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Around the Puget Sound
    What difference does it make when you draw a .01 viewing audience or less than a star trek rerun. If you have 15,000 in the seats at Rochester its far better than general indiference in Houston or San Antonio.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with your thesis is that generally, ratings for soccer programs are higher in Houston than any other non-MLS city, including Rochester. So not only does the Bayou City have five times as many households, a higher percentage of them are tuning in.

I have no idea about soccer's TV ratings in San Antonio.

3. UVanMathias

UVanMathias New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Livonia, NY
    How about adding Buffalo and Syracuse to the mix. All of WNY watches Bills games, so if the Rhinos are the only major club in the summer there should be a solid interest.

77 Syracuse, NY 395,400
    75 Rochester, NY 396,880
    46 Buffalo, NY 651,970

So it's like 1.4 million households. You could even throw in Binghamton and Elmira maybe, but I won't.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now do the same for all the markets that are near San Antonio.

5. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Antonio 748,950
    Austin 567,870

I used a cut off of an hour and a half away, because after that, I'd imagine the team wouldn't be "local" anymore.

So about 1.3 million. Rochester had what, 1.4 million someone said? Western New York has more people, but it's pretty close. Of course Rochester should be a much higher priority since they've showed extraordinary support already. But MLS isn't only interested in fans. Actually, have they shown that they care about that at all?

6. rhinosfan392

rhinosfan392 New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Using this standard puts Syracuse (88 miles east all freeway) and Buffalo (65 miles west all freeway) in the Rochester local market. This places the Rochester market at about 4 million I think. Buffalo is about 1.5 million and Syracuse is somewhat smaller. You also have to include any population between these cities that my not be included in the metro figures. Buffalo Bills NFL regularly get 80,000 and they are on the outside edge of this market. Rochester is located in the middle of this market. MLS will make soccer in Rochester a regional commodity. The draw that they have on Syracuse and Buffalo populus in the USL 1st div is very minimal. The new stadium will help that some, but MLS will guarantee a contingent from Buffalo and Syracuse. If Buffalo had an MLS team in a SSS I would be a Bufalo FC fan insteat of a Rochester Rhinos fan and I live in Rochester.

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell I live in Binghamton and I'd make the trip up for games to Rachacha

8. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    My understanding is that Rochester ownership is unwilling to give up their annual profit to buy into a league-wide investment that means it would lose money each year.

Definitely 2nd hand, but it's what I hear.

San Antonio seems more likely to be the new home for the KC Wizards, with actual expansion not coming until 2007, for Toronto and ???????

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then they will always be a big fish in a small pond and an increasingly irrelevant team in American soccer.

And of course, they will have committed a minor fraud in getting the public funding for the place, seeing as they were all but promising MLS soccer at PaeTec Park. Not that they would be the first to make promises in the process of getting public funding that they failed to live up to.

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Due to pecularities of Texas geography, the San Antonio team would also be the "home" team for pretty much all of south Texas, including Corpus Christi, the Rio Grande Valley, and Laredo. Just look at the Spurs' example.

Now, that might seem like a stretch to you, but no more so than the idea that people in Buffalo will head to Rochester in great numbers.

11. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think maybe the numbers I had were TV households, not population, because they were from a TV ratings site. But anyway it's kinda tricky, because you'll have some people from Buffalo not wanting to support the Rochester team because they'll want to have a team of their own, I'd imagine. But if you have a team that close, you might as well attend the games anyway.

12. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not the way the WNY sports culture works. Even with UB football moving to 1-A, there are still more Syracuse college football fans in Buffalo than there will ever be UB football fans.

13. rhinosfan392

rhinosfan392 New Member

Dec 16, 2004
  14. houston_fc

houston_fc Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Well at least we know a completion date now.... August 30th!!!

15. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The heavy steel is going up today for the West End (Broad St) of the stadium. It's the final side of the stadium to go up.

16. rhinosfan392

rhinosfan392 New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Not sure where it went, but the new pic on the front page of the Rhinos site that I posted about last night is not there anymore today. Looking forward to some pics of the west (Canal) side now going up. This is the highest at around 60 ft.

17. rhinosfan392

rhinosfan392 New Member

Dec 16, 2004
  18. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the photos, it looks like so far they've just put in bench seating. Will the stadium have much individual seating?

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Just in time for the.....

damn.

21. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think MLS is using Rochester both as a threat and as a fallback position.

With PaeTec in place, it's a gun to the head of outfits like San Jose and Kansas City. Before, the only thing the league could say was "Hey, if you guys can't arrange for us to play in an appropriate venue, we'll move the team to....er....somepalce else without an appropriate venue"

NOW they can say "We've got a place all ready to go in Rochester, pal. Ready made fan base, great soccer stadium, we can have them in there next week"

More importantly though, from a financial perspective, is that the Rhinos Owners are not in a financial league with Anschutz, Hunt, Kraft and Kroenke. They're not picking up extra hours as Security Guards over at Kodak to help make ends meet or anything, but they can't exactly write two or three million dollar checks every year without it hurting a lot.

It's no crime being a "small fish" if you really ARE a "small fish". They've done very well dealing with A League economics, but MLS is a whole nother game.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Rochester was always a tire kicking stage. If there hadn't been years of delays getting the stadium built, it is quite possible that Rochester would've been in the league two or three years ago. But that window of opportunity has closed until someone with deep pockets shows up.

Ironically, MLS seems to be moving into the financial stage where shallow pockets like DuRoss or Horowitz would likely be sufficient baring a major recession.

But MLS is quickly becoming a sellers market, and San Antonio is now the wedge. Kansas City and San Jose now have a mid-August deadline. If they both manage to put something together, even teams like DC United, MetroStars and Revolution would have to be considered "in play" however unlikely a move might be. In four years time, the franchises currently located in East Rutherford, Washington DC, Kansas City, and San Jose will all be playing in Soccer Specific Stadiums. Time will tell where those stadiums are.

23. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Like you say, MLS is aproaching the point where owners don't need to have as deep pockets. I'm guessing that if Metros get their stadium built, that Rochester suddenly have a viable ownership group.

Alamodome does shake things up. It's a great economic deal, and it's a controlled venue for the club (even though not a step forward in atmosphere). Don't forget Bridgeview, it turned out the Fire didn't have to drop a dime to get that built, and that will have the kind of atmosphere MLS really wants. They will have to pay rent, but still, it will be reasonable.

Basically, the cost of entry for MLS remains too high. If you look at the recent Forbes article on the value of soccer clubs, I think Ajax was valued at about $110 mm. $50mm is the price of entry for MLS (including expansion fee, stadium commitment and share of future losses). Now, if the Bridgeview, Alamodome situations drive down the cost to get a stadium, and a Metro stadium helps drive the MLS losses down, the cost of entry could drop dramatically and MLS becomes a much better ownership proposition.

And Rochester is a good situation with a nice existing fan base. I see no reason why Rochester doesn't fit in MLS's plans for a 20 team league.

24. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

Bill hit it on the head there basically. I would love to have Rochester in MLS, but the question is completely in regards to their ownership.

Even a guy like Horrowitz, who was probably wealthier, couldn't keep up with MLS, and he put up more for his stadium down there, than these guys are putting up and are able to, for PAETEC Park.

Does that instill confidence in their possible success in MLS? I don't know.

25. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're still trying to knock on billionaire (Buffalo Sabre's owner) Tom Golisano's door or perhaps Rochester native Malcolm Glazer could invest a little more in his home town than the property tax he pays on home number #2 or 3 or 25.