PAETAC Park

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Goldenstick, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
  2. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
  3. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Here's an article from the Rochester Business Journal (11/5/04):

Construction kicks in on PaeTec Park

By TOM ADAMS
    Rochester Business Journal
    Shovels are in the ground at Smith Street and Oak Street, with construction of a $23 million soccer stadium for the Rochester Rhinos scheduled to continue for as long as the weather allows.
    "We're not going to stop by a certain date," said Jon Barrett, project executive of LeChase Construction Services LLC. "But we don't want people walking around on aluminum and steel beams that have snow on them."
    Rhinos president Frank DuRoss has visited the site "two or three times a week" since work began Sept. 15, including one with the ownership group of A-League rival Vancouver.
    "I feel unbelievably happy and relieved that we're finally under way," he said.
    The steel structure for PaeTec Park is being fabricated by Dant Clayton Corp. in Louisville, Ky., and will be shipped here in late November or early December, DuRoss said. Two-thirds of the lower seating bowl has been designed in Louisville.
    Dant Clayton's work in the professional sports arena includes the Portland Seadogs minor-league baseball stadium in Maine; baseball stadiums in Modesto, Calif.; Augusta, Ga.; and Bradenton, Fla.; and the Kentucky Motor Speedway.
    The firm also has built soccer and softball stadiums at the University of Louisville, a football stadium at Marshall University and a high school football stadium at Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Other subcontractors for the PaeTec Park project include Rochester construction firm Difiore Inc., to oversee site work, and Herbert F. Darling Inc. of Williamsville, a suburb of Buffalo, to install 900 steel beams 15 to 20 feet long into bedrock.
    Requests for proposals for the foundation system will be bid out within the next two weeks, Barrett said. The rest of the work will be bid out in December.
    The December bids will be for mechanical, electrical, finishing and painting contracts, Barrett added.
    He expects each category to have three to 10 bidders.
    Work has begun on a soil and water management plan, and on erosion control measures, including sediment basins and storm-water sewer connections, Barrett said. Crews are relocating water mains.
    One-story masonry concessions and restrooms are scheduled for completion before winter weather settles in, Barrett said. Utilities, telecommunications and scoreboard conduits, drainage pipes, sanitary sewer pipes and water mains for sprinkler systems will be installed below ground during the coming weeks.
    PaeTec Park will have 13,000 permanent seats and 4,500 temporary bleacher seats, with possible expansion to 20,000 seats.
    The above-ground stadium will be 60 feet tall-the same height as Frontier Field, DuRoss said-on 15 acres at Oak Street near its intersection with Smith Street.
    The stadium originally was to be below ground, but changes were required because the water table beneath the ground was higher than originally thought and the soil conditions would not support a concrete bowl, DuRoss said.
    The silty soil is the primary reason for the above-ground facility, he said.
    "We're pretty excited about (the above-ground concept)," he said. "We think it makes for a nice-looking stadium. The horseshoe shape is unique. By coming out of the ground, we were allowed to do this."
    No decision has been made on whether the playing surface will be artificial turf or natural grass, DuRoss said. The organization is leaning toward turf because of weather conditions and the number of potential events that could be held there.
    In addition to the stadium, work crews will renovate the Empire Precision Plastics Inc. building across Oak Street from the playing field, transforming it into the Rhinos' administrative offices. The 26,000-square-foot building will include offices, a team store and a media conference center, DuRoss said.
    The entire stadium project is expected to take nine to 13 months, with a targeted completion date between June and August.
    The stadium will be a potential site for Rochester Rattlers lacrosse matches, high school football and soccer events, concerts, marching band competitions and perhaps a Buffalo Bills scrimmage, Rhinos officials said.
    The Rhinos continue to explore the possibility of moving from the A-League to Major League Soccer. A soccer-specific stadium will enhance their chances, but a move is unlikely until 2006 at the earliest because of uncertainty over when PaeTec Park will be ready for use, DuRoss said.

4. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
  5. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Goofy reporting you have being done there...

6. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Channel 8 the local CBS affilliate is probably last in the 6 O'Clock News ratings so they do some goofy attention grabbing gimmicks.

7. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Since PAETEC Park is now underway, and will certainly be finished for the Rhinos soon, it is almost a certainty that Rochester will become an MLS city soon.

MLS desperately wants soccer specific stadiums... so let me be the first to welcome Rochester to MLS.

8. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some construction pictures from over the weekend:

http://www.rhinosfan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474

A quote from Frank DuRoss:
    "No nothing that has become a "show stopper" numereous issues come up every day but so far we have handled them. Other than this weekend, the weather has been great and a help not a hinderence.

We hope to finish grading the entire playing field and parking lots by this Friday, continue with the pile driving, we will be bringing a second rig in so we can accelerate the pile driving, there are 925 H piles to be driven. After that is complete they will cut off the extended above grade pieces and pour the 3 foot thick concrete on the pile groups.

The steel and aluminum decks and supports will be shipped in late december and then the insallation will begin.

A mild winter should help the installation and the schedule.

Frank"

9. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Does Toronto even still field a team?

What, is this the fourth stadium in five years for the Stynx? Pretty soon the Lynx will be down to taking over a Pop Warner complex.

Thanks for posting, my downwardly mobile friend.

10. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    Yes we field a team. Lynx have played in 2 parks Varsity, torn down and Know Play at Centennial Park. Not the best site. But it will do untill our new Stadium is built and we get the MLS team you thought was yours.
    Will MLS pass on the 5th largest market in North America for the 179th Market.

11. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Nudge me when the Lynx regularly break the 5K attendance barrier.

It's not necessarily the size of the market, but the profitibility that's the real issue.

Didn't you also play at York University, too?

12. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Now all they need is an owner who can actually handle MLS requirements ($$$) , and who wants to be in MLS.

Doesn't seem like Rochester has that yet.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    MLS desperately wants owners with deep pockets. How is DuRoss an improvement over Horowitz?

14. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Any chance they'll nix the Fieldturf if they're in MLS?

15. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Only if MLS can encourage the Bush administration to get really serious about Global Warming and increase the growing season from 3.5 months.

16. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Here's what I posted on the Rhinos' Board:

I slid on over to the construction site at lunch.

Man, are they making great progress.

The pile drivers are gone and all of the vertical I-beams appear to be in place. About half of them are cut down to standard size and they are in the process of trueing the I-beams to make sure they are perpendicular with the horizon. After that they cut them off and it looks like they are beginning to build collars around the posts for the concrete reinforcement.

You now have a real sense of how the stadium is laid-out on the property.

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera. Maybe I can get some shots in the new year.

17. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    that is football the world over.
    In Australia the new competition (lol) A-League has major backers with huge wallets, the FFA (Football Federation of Australia) believe all 8 teams will NOT generate a profit until 2008-9, which will be the 3rd season

18. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Yeah, MLS ... right.

Fantasy.

19. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    what the fake turf in MLS games? eek

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Thanks for the pics.

OH NO, you have 666 posts dude. Right another one fast.

By the way, I know a whole bunch of Syracuse fans that are now
    planning on making the trip to Rochester for some games. I'm really interested to see what draw this team starts to develop region-wide.

21. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great pics. I'm so happy for you guy's.