Pac12 2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Glove Stinks, Aug 1, 2019.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, call me bias or crazy but UCLA wins their second championship, sealing a dominant Pac 12 decade in NCAA women's soccer.

If they don't get it this year, they have the personnel to set the stage for next season as most of their younger prospects mature and become strong in their senior year. They have a good senior class next season and this season of course.

2. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Is this the same McSkillz That was bemoaning the worst UCLA team in the world just one month ago? It’s all good. We all suffer through the ups and downs.

blissett repped this.
  3. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I can be a tad bit dramatic..... :ROFLMAO:
    I mean it was looking pretty bleak when they lost to Cal and Arizona. I was thinking, WTF, we're supposed to only lose to Washington State and Stanford. But I'm a bit spoiled and have high expectations for them similarly to a fan of a top 5-10 teams. Imagine if Stanford lost 3 games, I'm sure people would be wondering what the heck is going on.... I think with the teams that have had very dominant sides much like professional clubs, we can get a little overly dramatic over our fandom. :D:sneaky:

blissett and Tom81 repped this.
  4. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    A couple upsets in tournaments should put Oregon State and Utah on alert. My guess...

Stanford, UCLA, USC with top 2 seeds
    Washington, Washington State maybe seeded
    Cal, Colorado, Arizona safely in the field
    Utah, Oregon State - in last group of teams on bubble
    Arizona State, Oregon home for the holidays

Opinions on Utah or Oregon State if only one gets IN - who would you choose?

5. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Purely for the positive narrative I’d love to see OSU in. What a turn around. New Coach with the same team goes from 2-17 to 11-6-2. Absolutely amazing. Those kids deserve a bid for nothing less than sticking with the program and playing as a team

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Colorado is in, but not "safely," rather "barely." And Utah and Oregon State are out, but Utah "barely."

Colorado and Utah might -- or might not, depending on what the Committee does -- give a good example of why one shouldn't assign too much weight to head to head results. I see Colorado "in" and Utah "out" notwithstanding that Utah beat Colorado. The reason is, when you look at their entire profiles, which include the Utah win over Colorado, Colorado comes out as having performed a little better over the course of the season.

7. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #107 derbarkasmann, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    NINE teams in. Four seeds, 1, 2, 2 and 4.

Stanford hosts Prairie View A&M. 9-0?

UCLA hosts Lamar.

USC hosts neighbor CSU Fullerton.

Washington hosts close neighbor Seattle.

Washington State hosts Memphis.

Rematch ... Cal at nearby Santa Clara (GO BRONCOS !!)

Arizona hosts Texas Christian

Another rematch ... Colorado hosts nearby Northern Colorado.

Utah at Duke.

Seven home games, and Cal has a one-hour bus ride. Only Utah has to get on an airplane.

8. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My new home is halfway between Boulder and Salt Lake City so I drove to CU at Utah. The score was close, the game wasn't, my beloved Buffaloes managed all of one shot on goal. My heart sank when they announced Utah at Duke kind of early. Happy for Utah, but I didn't think we'd get nine teams in.

Northern Colorado has not had much of a season, RPI 200something, but they won their tournament so are in. I kept waiting for "Somebody hosting Northern Colorado" to confirm that Utah was in, Buffs out. There were four teams left. Colorado!! And I knew who the opponent had to be.

Colorado was picked fifth and finished tenth. Injuries, but lots of teams have those. The offense never really got untracked. The only game with more than two goals was ... Northern Colorado, 4-0.

9. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    socalsoccer23 repped this.
  10. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Val1, McSkillz, ping and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    Did the Oregon State win coach of the year or did Stanford (or someone else)?

12. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hasn’t been announced yet but if he doesn’t something is wrong in the world

13. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    He should, but I can also see UW’s coach winning it. Turn around they had was also impressive

derbarkasmann and Glove Stinks repped this.
  14. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="6peternorth9, post: 38301184, member: 215463 I can also see UW’s coach winning it. Turn around they had was also impressive [/QUOTE]

She did.

15. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #115 derbarkasmann, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    It must be a slow air travel week. For people with miles on American and United, short notice round trips within the United States can be as few as 10,000 miles on American and 15,000 on United, usually 25,000 is the minimum for flights that suck and better flights can be a lot more.

Grand Junction, Colorado to Raleigh, North Carolina this week is $717 round trip, minimum. Got it for 10,000 miles.

So if there are any Cougar or Husky or Wildcat or Buffalo fans (or anybody else) who would like to support your teams but can't or don't want to swing the short-notice airfares, this is an alternative.

I had the miles, but even for someone who has never flown on American, they will sell you 10,000 miles for $354 which is, at least in my case, a lot less than $717

McSkillz and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I didn't realize that you could buy miles from airlines. Good to know!

17. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And every now and then they put them on sale, or throw in bonus miles. With the devaluations of miles, it's often/usually not worth it to buy them, Example:

Purchase 23,000 miles on American, they throw in 2,500 more so there's the usual 25,000 mile domestic round trip. But they charge $767.02, plus $75 if you redeem them within two weeks of your desired travel (I had to pay that for my trip tomorrow). I could walk up to the ticket counter in Grand Junction, which is kind of costly to fly out of or into, and purchase a ticket to Raleigh leaving in two hours for $717.

18. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Elite Eight games to be played this Friday with four Pac teams still dancing. How many will still be dancing next week?

QUARTERFINALS (Friday, Nov. 29

Home vs Away

No. 1 Florida State vs. No. 2 UCLA | 2 p.m.
    No. 1 North Carolina vs. No. 2 Southern California | 6 p.m.
    No. 2 South Carolina vs. Washington State | 6 p.m.
    No. 1 Stanford vs. No. 2 BYU | 6 p.m.

Tough ask for the LA teams to have to go across the country to battle ACC powerhouses. Stanford are looking to outscore the 2nd-highest scoring team in the country.

Wazzu have already beaten a 1-seed, so it is not at all inconceivable for them to knock off SoCar. The key, I think, is for Wazzu to stay put in the Southeast and spend turkey day there, and not to have to catch 3 planes just to get back home to the Palouse, and do the same thing all over again in a few days to go to South Carolina.

Good luck to everyone

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repeat after me: "USC 2007, USC 2007, ...."

20. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has one conference ever provided all four teams in the College Cup?

21. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I think the year UCLA won, the ACC provided 3 teams.
    Not aware of the history of 4 from the same conference.
    The PAC 12 could do it this year!

22. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    I like the chance of WSU winning more than LA schools. Amazing to think that WSU could be in the college cup. UCLA seems to be peaking at the right moment. USC on the other hand, seems to be surviving. BYU seems unbeatable at home, but that’s not where they’ll be. 3 Pac teams to college cup seems very realistic.

cachundo repped this.
  23. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Usc on survival mode with injuries. They are gonna step up strong but have a very tough out in UNC. Gonna be fun. I’ll be there!

24. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #124 cachundo, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Not sure what your point is. USC were a 2-seed that year, the first year of the 1-2-1-2 format. They had the ignominious distinction of being the only 1- or 2-seed, ever, to be forced to play Rounds 2 and 3 as the away team as the NCAA deemed their field unplayable apres-Round 1. Didn't matter, they won it all that year. USC playing away as a 2-seed were a better team than either team they faced Rounds 2 & 3.

Wazzu were a heavy underdog against top-seed Virginia. And perhaps slightly less so against West Virginia, who seem to play on that field every year ever since Nikki was there.

HUGE difference in the level of Round 2 & 3 opponents between USC2007 and Wazzu2019.

Wazzu are a no-seed, having already beaten a 1-seed in Round 2. USC did not accomplish that feat until Round 4 of that year. Huge difference in beating who when.

25. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This. Wazzu have an underdog mentality, even in the Pac, and that serves them well come Tournament time. They have already beaten a 1-seed away. Neither USC nor UCLA this season have an away victory against a championship-caliber team. Maybe things will change this weekend

Glove Stinks repped this.