P2P file sharing????

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Excape Goat, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What do people use those days?

2. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    BitTorrent -> Azureus -> www.Torrentspy.com

..and..

Limewire

But I really don't use them as much as I used to. The odd song or TV show.

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also use Azureus on occasion, but that occasion is my weekly download of Entourage (don't have HBO to actually watch the show). Other than that, I haven't downloaded a a song or movie in probably six or seven months.

4. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usenet :D

Yeah, yeah, I know it's not P2P.

5. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    Just Bittorrent (ABC) for soccer games, and you know what ;) . I stopped downloading songs and movies 3 years ago (you can go to jail for that now with the new US law).

6. Renegade of Funk

Renegade of Funk New Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Room 237
    You could go to jail for it then. Here's hoping they deleted the logs!

7. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    No one has been sued for downloading music, just for uploading.

8. Fleetwood Mac #1

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    Well, getting sued is not the main concern anymore as the bill passed in April that makes digital piracy a crime. RIAA lawsuits could easily be settled for couple of thousand dollars, not a big deal. Now the law enforcement agencies are directly handling these cases and maximum penalty for piracy is set to 3 years of imprisonment plus a fine of up to $250,000. They are going after the dedicated uploaders first but it is only a matter of time before some of the "small fishes" are caught and prosecuted in the process.

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/5002/newlaw.html

I rather not take the risk for a few songs/movies that can be bought easily from sites like Napster, iTunes, CinemaNow.

9. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how they call it the "Family Entertainment and Copyright Act".

:rolleyes:

10. Renegade of Funk

Renegade of Funk New Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Room 237
    Unfortunately, this is misinformation! The April, 2005 law revised the NET Act, passed in 1997. That's why I posted that little joke above. It's a joke because the NET Act hasn't been widely enforced since passage. In part, the RIAA's member companies have been suing filesharers because the Justice Department has not initiated criminal proceedings on a widespread basis.

All the ART Act does (the portion of the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act you're concerned about) is criminalize and specify penalties for situations like the one described in Menta's article (the Fiona Apple example). But his example is a long stretch:

1.) since Sony would have a difficult time proving a 'violator' should have known the FA record was "intended for commercial distribution", since as Menta himself points out, "Sony has refused to release" it, and

2.) because, factually speaking, the legislation passed in response to MPAA lobbying about prerelease and in-theater movies on the Internet. That's why it was paired with penalties against camcordering films at movie theaters.

McCullagh was looking, as is his routine, at the potentially absurd unintended consequences of Congress's slavish behavior to its *AA masters.

It's the rest of Menta's article that is especially inaccurate garbage, because it implies that *all* criminal penalties are "new". In reality, they've been around for 8 years.

Where did you hear this information?

11. Fleetwood Mac #1

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    I remember reading that part in an article a month ago. Can't find the exact one right now though (googled for almost an hour).

12. musicmaker

musicmaker New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    limewire is becoming lame these days as well...

every song i try to download says "connecting"... "new sources needed" or something.

that's for EVERY song... what in the world!!

13. ChivasFan87

ChivasFan87 Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fresno, CA
    I use Xolox 2.0(very fast) and none of that bundled adware as far as i know.

14. Hooplehead

Hooplehead New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Deadwood
    Anyone know anything about "usenet" ?

I heard it's untracable filesharing, sorta the successor to BT--but when I click the links to usenet, looks like a pay service. Anyone know the skinny?

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

It's the newsgroups. Not a filesharing program.

16. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I am having a hard time opening the files with this. I downloaded the Azureus, but it wont open the file. I am approaching this the same way I used to with Kazaa and bearshare, etc. Is their another step that I am missing that is required with this system?

When I click on the icon of the file, it says "choose save path" but it wont play the song..

17. Fleetwood Mac #1

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    Chances are you have downloaded only the .torrent files. Now you have to download the actual files using Azureus. When it says 'choose save path' choose a folder or a place you want them saved and wait while they connect to people who have the files or parts of them.

18. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    On that www.Torrentspy.com site you choose the file you want to download and you'll be taken to another download page. Click on "Download Now"

You will be prompted to Open or Save the file, choose Open and it may ask you which program you want to use to open it. Choose Azureus. If Azureus is not listed browse to C:\Program Files\Azureus. It's no different than opening a Word or Excel file from a website.

It is different to BearShare/Kazzaa because you are downloading a .torrent file that contains the information about the actual file you want to get. Other p2p apps run completely independantly from anyother software - in those you open BearShare, search for the file, download it and your done. In Bitorrent you first download the torrent file which tells your Botorrent client (Azureus) how to download the file you want.

Does that make sense?

19. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Family Entertainment and Copyright Act Law

aka FECAL. :)

20. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    kind of. I tried that but it still gives me the same message. I am going to back to old ways of bearshare.. this seems like a pain in the ass.

I a sure I am missing something very basic. (as is the case often with computers)

thanks for the suggestion though!

21. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I use Ares (www.aresgalaxy.org). It's a 100% spyware and adware free P2P filesharing program. You can download songs, tv shows, movies and such. It's easy to use and has a Kazaa-like look to it.

22. noaihmtch

noaihmtch Red Card

Mar 12, 2005
    Great Japan
    this is intolerable. i've been using winmx to LEGALLY up/download non-copyrighted material such as my song and your poem. ********ing arrogant music/movie industry and govornment again deprived our freedom.... what a sick day. somebody please sue them back!! :mad:

23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is my setup, which I find totally painless. Then again, I work in a supercomputer center, so YMMV.

Web Browser: Firefox.
    Tools → Options, select “Downloads”, and tell it to save all downloads into “MyDocuments\Downloads”.

Torrent app: Azureus
    Tools → Options → Connection → Incoming TCP listen port = 49152
    Tools → Options → Files → Save to default data directory = “C:\Torrents”
    Tools → Options → Files → Move completed files = “C:\Torrents\Complete”
    Tools → Options → Files → Torrents → Import New .torrents automatically = “My Documents\Downloads”

I also suggest installing the “SafePeer” plugin; you can find it on the Azureus website.

On my router, I set it to forward TCP traffic on port 49152 to port 49152 on my desktop machine.

How it works:
    I find a torrent file I am interested in on the web. I click on it in Firefox, it brings up the download window, and I select the default save location and it saves the file there. When Azureus is running, it checks that directory for .torrent files and picks them up and moves them to it’s own data directory automatically, so when I download a torrent file it automatically gets added to my Azureus torrent queue. Eventually, the file will show up in C:\Torrents\Complete when it’s done, I copy it to wherever I want to keep it, and once my share ratio on that file is at least 1:1, I go into Azureus and tell it to delete the torrent and the data, and Azureus cleans itself up and deletes the file from C:\Torrents\Complete. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.