PBP: P01135809 Trump Espionage, Coup, Conspiracy, Racketeering, Fraud & Obstruction Trial Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Jitty Slitter, Jun 10, 2023.

?

What will be the outcome?

1. Guilty

2. Not guilty

3. Pardons himself

4. Goes into exile in Snowden's flat

5. Some other fascism

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    The juries I’ve sat on - in California - did that. I also thought any juror could be kicked off until the end of the selection process.

2. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wittes thinks it's highly likely Trump would see at minimum 1 - 4 years of house arrest, assuming conviction.

The bigger question for him was how Merchan would handle the appeal. Would he make Trump serve house arrest while waiting for the appeal, or let him out during that waiting period.

He thinks sentencing hearing is likely to occur 8 - 12 weeks post verdict of the trial.

Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not a lawyer, but why wouldn’t Cohen’s sentence for this same scheme work as a baseline?

fatbastard repped this.
  4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A defendants attitude, demeanor, remorse, acceptance of responsibility, etc.. absolutely play a factor though. Judge's have discretion in sentencing.

If Trump shows no remorse ever and continues to be an asshole, he will likely end up on the steeper side of the sentence curve so to speak.

I'm no lawyer, but that's what I've gathered for the legal podcasts.

5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Looks like they are searching the social media posts of the prospective jurists.

Would it be dishonest to say "I don't do social media. I only post to a soccer forum."?

Deadtigers, BocaFan, rslfanboy and 2 others repped this.
  6. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Federal vs state charges I believe. And I don’t exactly recall what he plead to. Plus he plead guilty. So if his sentence does serve as a baseline…it would be the absolute minimum.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disagreeing with your reasoning (and hope) but more going along with the guidelines (which recomends probation) and the kid gloves way Trump has been treated (thinking about the gag orders and punishments). Not to mention, the appellate court reduced Trump Org penalties.

diablodelsol repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    He parked it on the Mall and the Koch limo was waiting for him

9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'll go down during lunch and throw some rocks at it.

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He Loves riding Koch.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  11. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who wouldn’t?

upload_2024-4-17_9-46-22.jpeg

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, this trial is almost a bigger, fatter donut than Trump himself. As such, the poll within this thread omits an obvious answer option: doesn't matter.

Should have just focused on the Georgia case for which there is clear evidence of a serious crime.

Deadtigers and Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Not sure what you mean by “focus”. This trial is a New York State trial Managed by NY state prosecutors. The Georgia case is a Georgia criminal trial led by Georgia prosecutors. Neither have anything to do with Jack Smith or the Department of Justice.

Regarding the NY case…it’s actually a pretty simple case. Question 1) did he falsify business records? That’s pretty clear cut…and the document evidence is overwhelming. Question 2)why did he falsify those documents. The why (intent) is what elevates the misdemeanor document falsification to a felony.

It’s not complex. And the evidence that will be presented is overwhelming. Absent jury nullification or a hung jury mistrial…he will be convicted.

soccernutter, taosjohn and superdave repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I didn't say there wasn't evidence. I just said there wasn't evidence of a serious crime. Falsifying business records? Meh. That's not going to change anyone's vote, let's be real here.

15. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Polling contradicts this assertion.

taosjohn repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Here you go

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/p...ORK,making an excessive campaign contribution.

dapip and soccernutter repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The point is he committed felonies to cheat in the election

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm skeptical. :cool: Polls of the sort "would you still vote for candidate X if ______ happens" seem dodgy at best. How do people know what they will do in the future if something that hasn't happened yet happens? Especially when the question is posed to people that are still standing by Trump after everything he has done over the past 9 years.

Q*bert Jones III and Sounders78 repped this.
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I find hard to believe is that they could find enough people for a jury who either 1) don't know about this whole situation and 2) don't feel strongly, one way or another, about Trump. All you need is one red hat out of the 12 and it's game over. And I'd be concerned about the low- informationalness of people who are that oblivious

Deadtigers, dapip, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  20. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least there is data on one side. You’re just posting vibes.

Reminder: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/n...you-hope-to-thrive-on-the-p-ce-board.1976490/

21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    What was Whitewater about? Teapot dome? The payoffs to the Waterbuggers? Hilary's e-mails? Al Capone died in jail over not having any. The President of Panama saw his country invaded, was brought to the US by force and thrown into prison because he had some which reflected very poorly on a sitting American President.

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the jurors dropped out. Apparently some people close to them figured out they were on the jury based on responses to the questions. They felt afraid. The judge has decided to not publicize the answers to 2 of the questions to make it harder for folks to guess who is on the jury.

Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think everyone knows he paid off Stormy Daniels. But I'm sure a lot of people aren't even aware of the laws concerning falsifying business records, much less what the orange baboon did to break those laws, which is what the actual trial is about.

Unrelated note: I watched the Stormy Daniels bio on Peacock and found it pretty interesting.

24. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I’m sure one of our attorneys will correct me if I’m wrong…but neither 1 nor 2 are a requirement to sit on a jury.

25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States