PBP: P01135809 Trump Espionage, Coup, Conspiracy, Racketeering, Fraud & Obstruction Trial Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Jitty Slitter, Jun 10, 2023.

?

What will be the outcome?

1. Guilty

2. Not guilty

3. Pardons himself

4. Goes into exile in Snowden's flat

5. Some other fascism

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Does Trump have a deadline for either

1) filing an appeal?
    2) paying the judgement?

What are the key dates in this? Assuming this is why requested the stay, which has since been denied.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has a month to file the appeal. But the appeal can only be filed if he pays the balance due, which is something like $445m, give or take a million. Per @diablodelsol that is 2 weeks + 1 day (I didn't know when the clock started, so thanks).

As for the second question, assuming it does not apply to the appeal, I'm not sure. But he is racking up 9% simple interest...

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    About 15 days to file.

In NY…if you’re going to appeal and want to delay paying while on appeal…you have to either come up with the cash amount awarded yourself (it will be held in trust until the appeals are completed…oh…and you’ll owe interest too), or you have to convince someone else to put up the money for you…or convince a licensed bond company to post bond that will make them liable for the settlement amount if you don’t pay.

So outside Putin, Musk and friends passing around the hat to give Trump half a billion dollars to light on fire…the recovery process will start the moment the stay is lifted.

soccernutter repped this.
  4. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I literally want to keep a running Boredies thread because post like this are brilliant but won't be remembered in a few months.

5. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    So question for our resident attorneys….Trump has filed a motion to dismiss a portion of the documents case charges on immunity grounds…does Cannon have the authority to dismiss these with prejudice (the one that isn’t appealable)? Not wondering if she’d have grounds to do it. Wondering if she could just because she feels like it.

6. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Not a lawyer, BUT............
    He wasn't President when he was asked to return the docs.

7. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I get that…but that wasn’t my question.

taosjohn repped this.
  8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Weissmann, the opinion said that he can't use a financial institution of any kind in NY. But even so, there are indications that no financial institution would want to do business with him.

Deadtigers and taosjohn repped this.
  9. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    And the stay automatically lifts two Fridays from now.

Deadtigers, taosjohn and soccernutter repped this.
  10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I hadn’t thought of that. But surely if he can somehow convince a NYS licensed surety the court would allow it (there is no ********ing way one will.)

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not that lawyer you asked for but found this:
    https://www.floridabar.org/the-flor...deral-and-state-appellate-finality-doctrines/

Says a couple things. One, they can appeal part of the judgment. Second, dismissals with prejudice are automatically appealed.

diablodelsol repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine in the future going after someone that can't afford to pay for an appeal and they actually are innocent. What a powerful tool for a government to have against anyone.

14. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I wonder how many people have been put to death after being falsely accused and wrongly found guilty.

dapip, Deadtigers, ElNaranja and 4 others repped this.
  15. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    They aren’t paying for an appeal. They’re paying to stop the award from happening while they appeal. It stops the winner from getting the losers money while the appeals process is exhausted while also ensuring the money is available in the event the appeal fails.

16. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, you're starting to get it. The justice system has been aimed like a weapon at poor and brown people for decades and you didn't care, but now that it's aimed at someone you like, you're all "hold up, that's too much power". Welcome to the revolution, comrade.

fatbastard, roadkit, dapip and 11 others repped this.
  17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:

As opposed to a judgement/fine after somebody has been found at fault?

xtomx repped this.
  18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His claim is that while he was President, he not only declassified all of the documents (without telling anyone), but he converted them to his own personal records. Therefore, NRA had no right to the documents, so he was within his rights to refuse to provide the documents to NRA.

If Cannon grants this motion, I suspect that Smith will head straight to the 11th circuit and appeal it, probably even ask to have her removed from the trial.

19. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Aside from the 6 month lock-up, are there other constraints on how Trump or other insiders can dispose of their shares? These SPACs appear to be legalized ponzi schemes.

Deadtigers repped this.
  20. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Trump is still arguing that the President can declassify through the power of thought?

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct sir.

Smurfquake repped this.
  22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I was reading today, it seems that the merger has been approved by the SEC, but not by the board(s). Also, it appears that a couple years ago Trump Media had an agreement to put two of his people on the board, but there was an issue with...wait for it...fraud, and DWAC said that violated their agreement (or something like that). So there is that, and the shareholders of DWAC need to approve the merger. Thus, the merger has not completed.

As for the constraints, the disposal of the shares is in the contract for the merger. That is where it was set at 6 months, not through anything with the SEC.

And, yeah, these SPAC things are sketchy has hell.

Capt.Tsubasa repped this.
  23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. That has been his claim pretty much all along.

24. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Ok. Let’s grant him that. The stuff requested still isn’t “his,” as long as it was in the performance of his duties as president, right? I guess if it’s declassified, it changes the severity of the charges, but not ownership, or am I missing something?

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to repeat myself. He is claiming that he also converted them to personal records and courts have ruled that a President's personal records are not covered by NRA. The issue being, as with all of Trump's lawyers claims, the case doesn't actually say he can do that. The case in question covers things like personal journals and private records outside of the President's role as a President.

Oh, also, Trump is also claiming that he has absolute Presidential immunity and that Cannon should not be persuaded by the DC Circuit's ruling that he doesn't have Presidential immunity.