P/I/P Season 29 Game 20: LA Galaxy at RSL, 6/22/24, 6:30 p.m. PDT Apple TV

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Jun 20, 2024.

1. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss this era of Top Gear so much, this show was lightening in a bottle.

back on topic, if the Galaxy show even more improvement, how much can the Galaxy get for the transfer of Puigy :p

El Futbolisimo and TrickHog repped this.
  2. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't live in the UK but its my understanding his current thing is trying to become a small time farmer there and documenting just about how impossible it is.

Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.
  3. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody can be seriously suggesting that we're better without Ricki. Not having him on the field for these last two games has just made it more evident that the current tactic of mega-possession with the occasional single-digit percentage through ball is too obvious and easily defended. We have +/- four legitimately dangerous scoring threats. Each one of these guys can pull three defenders and leave at least one attacker completely open. But if every single ball is a direct pass either back to Riqui or to a player who is stationary, it's just possession for possession's sake.

And if even I can see that, I'm very confused as to why Vanney can't.

skydog repped this.
  4. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my perspective, and my read on what others are saying, its not that we're more dangerous without Riqui, he's clearly the overall best player on our team and arguably top 5 in the league.

Its that we're more organized. And in some ways more organized could be argued as "better", even if technically speaking Riqui > Diego. More organized can mean better at team defense, for example.

mbar, skydog, 73Bruin and 3 others repped this.
  5. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    And when we are better organized it creates stability which helps the team overall. Now we have a couple more games perhaps in which we can get a better look and this new dynamic. If it continues then what I want to see what happens when Riq and Brug come back. If we go back to suspect defense and the Riq show up front and Pec, Dejan and Paint suffer somewhat and the team loses this newfound organization, dynamic and stability then clearly you have to do something.

In Puig's case the workaround is not suggesting but demanding he stop coming back into our defensive third because it is affecting the team negatively. Put your foot down with clear consequences of the bench and dismissal. Then it's up to Riq. Greg won't do that. :rolleyes:

The possession one-dimensionality that Shurikt talks about can be laid at Vanney's feet. That is vanneyball through and through and for that you have to also, do something. After 4 years? I don't think there is a workaround for that.

shelbo and Dawdler repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I would add that we are also a) more predictable when Riqui is playing and b) the rest of the team coasts more and take less responsibility when he is on the field. “We’ll just give it to Riqui and let him do it.“

This is on coaching, the other players and on Puig. Primarily the first because his job is to train and demand more from the rest.

That being said, I in no way think we are a better off without Riqui.

TrickHog and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Yes! I noticed the diversity of goals in both these matches, but hadn’t connected the dots to Riqui’s abscence. TBF it could just be corollary, but not doing the rinse-and-repeat attack makes us so much more dangerous.

TrickHog, 73Bruin and skydog repped this.
  8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  9. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog, Geneva and skydog repped this.
  10. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    We likely will rotate in this match, but the question is who and where. I doubt we do a wholesale rotation. The most likely options I could see are Nelson in for Aude, Lepley for Delgado or Fagundez, Cuevas for Yamane or Pantsil, Caceres for Neal or Yoshida, Berry for Jovelic, and Micovic for McCarthy.

I think some of those could come in the form of earlier subs, but I expect at least one or two will be in the starting lineup.

TrickHog and Bilgediver repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    IMO there is zero reason to rotate Dejan or McCarthy. Neither has high a work rate during games, neither under constant pressure like say a midfielder. They shouldnt need rest physically or mentally. Of course that doesn't mean Greg wont bench them in an important game against our competitor for top of the conference.

I also wouldn’t give Lelpley his 1st start in this difficult game. I could see starting Nelson for Aude though. Cuevas is good enough to start in this game but obviosly Pec & Paintsil are much better. I could see him starting in place of Joe since Joe is still recovering from injury.

TrickHog, El Futbolisimo and 73Bruin repped this.
  12. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
  13. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Last RSL match Chicho had a modest showing. The ones who are looked much more dangerous are Luna and Gomez. Let's see what the box of chocolates has for us today.

GALAXY!

TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  14. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    weird to me that Neal is the defender that always must be rotated and not yoshida.

lepley first start but filling in for Delgado in that role a huge ask.

whatevs, odds are against us. Let’s go for it.

skydog repped this.
  15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he only played 45 minutes and had an assist. Not too bad lol.

too bad Colombia didn’t value him enough to take him to copa America.

El Futbolisimo repped this.
  16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I look forward to seeing what Lepley has to offer.

Bilgediver repped this.
  17. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    RSL first three CBs are out. This is our chance. But their offense is scarier than ours. Let's go Galaxys !

Dawdler repped this.
  18. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice tackle by Caceres on Chicho

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lepley looks fast and strong. that's a start.

20. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see that sun being an issue on that side of the pitch.

22. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    c'mon can't keep giving up possession on poor passing.

23. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good defending on luna by lepley

24. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    since when has the california surfer bleach blonde look become half our squad?