P/I/P Season 29 Game 2: LA Galaxy at San Jose, 3/2/2024, 7:30 p.m. PST Apple TV

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Feb 27, 2024.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 8.53.35 AM.png

Game 2 on the road in San Jose this Saturday. Do we start the same lineup (assuming Delgado's bogus yellow is overturned) or bring in Pec or Brugman from the start? Discuss and prepare!

Let's Go Galaxy!

2. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is it Delgado's second that is being disputed? Think there was only one replay of it and it seemed he didn't even touch the player.

TrickHog and Dawdler repped this.
  3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don’t see any way Pec, Fagundez and Paintsil can start together and I can think of no good way the Pec vs Fagundez starter issue can be smoothly resolved. It’s tempting to call it a “good problem to have” - but is it?

Say we start Fagundez- does it really make sense to only play the speedy $9 mil (?) star Pec as a 30 min 2nd half sub? Conversely if we start Pec how do we keep the newly healthy, experienced and also skilled Fagundez from becoming disgruntled as a bench warmer? And even if Fagundez accepts the sub role what happens if Pec is playing great in a close game - are we going to pull him just so Fagundez can get some minutes? Tiny sample but, IMO, Pec looks like he should be a 80+ minute player for us.

Hmmm… how good of a striker or cb can we get in trade for Fagundez?

Alternative question - can Fagundez play striker?

shelbo, MPNumber9, Geneva and 2 others repped this.
  4. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I think you're last question is probably the right one, although I wouldn't limit it to striker. Fagundez may still start for a little while, but eventually, he is a sub until guys are out for one reason or another. I don't think the Galaxy consider him a one position guy though. He can come in anywhere along the front line, including for Puig or Jovalic. In fact, Vanney talked after the game about not wanting Jovalic to play with his back to the goal like a typical target striker. If that's the case, that it is even more clear that Fagundez could play there too.

napper, Dawdler, Geneva and 5 others repped this.
  5. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect a rotation. We at least have some depth and can bring a game changer off the bench for once in attack

napper, MPNumber9, Dawdler and 5 others repped this.
  6. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's hilarious that we're all having trouble understanding the concept of "depth."

Dawdler, Geneva, Berks and 7 others repped this.
  7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fagundez is gonna be our key depth piece. As the games come fast and furious, you can plug him in to start a game and rest any of the starters in the front 4.

And Cerrillo looking so good in that first game is also key because with Brugman about to come back, you then have 3 good players to rotate for 2 spots in midfield.

And finally once Neal is back then you can start rotating him in to save Caceres and Yoshida from having to play in multiple 2-game a week stretches.

napper, shelbo, Dawdler and 5 others repped this.
  8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Heh heh, good luck getting a healthy Puig to come out of the game. Now if, god forbid, he is injured then maybe Fagundez can play there.

9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we’re chasing a game I can see all three of fagundez, pec and Paintsil being on the field. Paintsil can operate centrally. Fagundez also I believe.

Dawdler, ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  10. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #10 hav77, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    Have 3 up top with Paintsil, Dejan, and Pec with Puig, Diego, and Delgado/Gaston/Cerrillo in the middle.

MariusCesar, Dawdler, mbar and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this sub contemplating "Depth"
    [​IMG]

Dawdler, Geneva, skydog and 3 others repped this.
  12. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think we fully understand the depths at which the Gs have fallen since the LD years thank you very much.

shelbo, Dawdler, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  13. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    #13 El Futbolisimo, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    Talk of Fagundez trades may be a bit early (I know you're just kidding.) We still have to see about Dejan. What could we get for Dejan if he doesn't work out? We can try Fagundez at striker in a pinch. I am unsure about this Berry guy tho early still.

Just chewing the fat I would say leave the Delgado situation alone. Let's see if Brugman can go against the Blueberries and whomever the third guy is in that position. Let's feel out our depth early on.

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  14. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kuntz has till the summer window to evaluate things and its a long season so things may sort themselves out on their own, if not I believe Kuntz will make the proper moves to make sure the team keeps improving, as of right now its a nice problem to have complaining about having too many pieces and not enough slots

15. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked what little I saw of Berry at the end of the game (I know he came on against tired legs, but he still had some good moments in possession). I agree its still too early to make any decisions on Dejan, he may work out really well given our upgrade on the wings. I found it weird when I heard/read Vanney doesn't want him to be a target style striker, considering our speed on the wings you would think he may have to function that way.

El Futbolisimo, 73Bruin, Dawdler and 3 others repped this.
  16. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berks, MariusCesar, 73Bruin and 6 others repped this.
  17. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Can we get the Miami goal rescinded as well?

Berks, MariusCesar, The Cadaver and 5 others repped this.
  18. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    San Jose injury report

San Jose Earthquakes
    JT Marcinkowski – Knee (Out)
    Niko Tsakiris - Lower Body (Out)

TrickHog repped this.
  19. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    #19 El Futbolisimo, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    Carlos Vela will sign with the San Jose team it appears. It's gonna be weird to see him in that team. Such is life. o_O

"According to The Athletic's Tom Bogert, Vela is set to join the Earthquakes from LAFC in a blockbuster free agent move. Linked with a move to the LA Galaxy over the Winter, the Mexican superstar and former MLS MVP is now set to snub them - and Liga MX - for a move to San Jose."

Uruguayan forward Jonathan 'Cabecita' Rodriguez did not travel with Club America because it is being reported he will be heading to Portland. When do we play those guys?

73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  20. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is true, man does he hate the Galaxy, too go from rival to another.

TrickHog repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't see how that follows. I doubt we offered him a DP slot - I certainly didn't hear about it. SJ did. Likely no more complicated than that.

cleschke, 73Bruin, Dawdler and 2 others repped this.
  22. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed and I highly doubt he "snubbed" the Galaxy, I would say it was the other way around, due to Kuntz and CoG squashing that rumor, quicker than it started.

23. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    As I wrote in an earlier post, I suspect that if contact was made with the Galaxy, it came from Vela's camp as they tried to drum up credible interest from another club that would prompt LAFC to act. We probably said no at his price and San Jose said yes.

ProudNatRN, mbar, skydog and 2 others repped this.
  24. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game Day!!!!

Bilgediver, skydog, napper and 2 others repped this.
  25. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ewww, these guys