P/I/P Season 29 Game 18: LA Galaxy vs SKC, 6/15/24, 7:30 p.m. PDT Apple TV

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Jun 10, 2024.

1. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    #226 FlapJack, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    Some good stuff.
    • Dejan looking over his injury finally (first game he didn’t look like he was sprinting at 70%)
    • Got to see some minutes of Dejan with non-inverted Pec and Paintsill.
    • That lovely long pass from Yamane
    • Not one instance of Puig dropping too deep
    • Berry showing a little with one nice pass in the box and finishing a sitter
    • Perez getting start and looking not out of place
    • Cosmo’s Dad
    • Robbie Rogers conversation with talking heads on AppleTV broadcast and saying he hates LAFC
    The bad
    • Perez leaving with injury
    • And then the goals were sad because we let KC back in the game.
      The first was taken well but was preventable with either situational awareness or defensive decision making. and the second well. Idk. I guess that’s what you get with McCarthy. #1 Yamane getting caught up field but doesn’t hustle back (or get enough cover help—Delgado gets back but Neal makes poor decision not to challenge and no help from anyone else). #2 McCarthy loses WiFi connection and can’t move

Net result: WIN!

shelbo, Geneva, TrickHog and 4 others repped this.
  2. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Perez's injury is unfortunate, but not inconsistent with his recent history. Injuries have been part of the reason it has taken him so long to get on the pitch and contribute for the senior team after signing at the age of 16. This year, he started preseason with an injury that slowed his ability to compete. He also missed a ton of time in Fall 2022 because of a knee injury in mid-August that eventually required surgery and caused him to miss most of the preseason in 2023 too. It took him a decent part of the season for the G2s last year for him to really recover from that one.

This injury doesn't sound like anything long-term, but it's unfortunate even if it's only a week or two because there is an opportunity for playing time right now with Puig and Brugman's absences and Paintsil still working his way back to 90 minutes.

TrickHog, mbar, El Futbolisimo and 4 others repped this.
  3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I actually thought Fagundez's play was better than Puig's in a number of ways.
    1. He can actually pass the ball to a player on his left as we saw with Perez. With Puig, the left wing might as well take a lawn chair on the pitch for all of the offensive action he will get.
    2. I don't recall him turning the ball over in the Galaxy's defensive third as we have seen Puig do repeatedly especially earlier in the season
    3. There was less hero ball play and more involvement of his teammates
    4. There is no question that Fagundez plays better defense than Puig.

shelbo, Geneva, natfaninla and 6 others repped this.
  4. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

5. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    So he's injury prone? o_O

Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.
  6. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    1. He only did that with Perez. He needed to do that across the board to have an impact. We were yelling a the screen, do that with Dejan and Pec! As it is his performance was adequate to me. Nothing more than that.
    2. He did turn the ball over in D third but obviously not as much as Puig.
    3. Yes, clearly. This is a great point to Vanney who has to, HAS TO, get Riqui to stop doing that and get more of the team involved by doing exactly that ffs. No more hero ball.
    4. Overall but Puig plays gargantually better offense so Fagundez D contribution is negligible.

The Cadaver, Geneva and mbar repped this.
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    As somebody who was critical of Fagundez at 10 experiment, the only thing I didn't like about it was his lack of ability to bring his attackers into combo formations. Too often Perez would be closing in on the box and nobody there to help. Best play from Fagundez was on Paintsil goal. He actually launches the play with deft defensive action in our end, getting the ball to Yamane for the great switch to Pec. I just saw that in hilights.

TrickHog and El Futbolisimo repped this.
  8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    A positive last night was the greater diversity of goals. Too often this season it’s been rinse and repeat even when it’s clear a particular approach isn’t working. If the team could add a consistent longe range threat the Galaxy would knock it up another notch. We’d still need to win games 4-3 with the current defense.

Does Reus have a good long range shot?

mbar, TrickHog, Dawdler and 2 others repped this.
  9. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    He is not a 10 and I do take into consideration that's not what he regularly trains for. It's not how he is being employed. I still expected some sense of a play maker. Some better positioning. Better awareness of his teammates around him and the ability to hold the ball, get himself in better positions and allow his teammates to get in better position themselves for runs and or give&gos or whatever. He is not that guy, but, I was hoping he had some of that in him.

I think who you saw in that Paint goal action was Cerrillo.

10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW - at one point in the second half we had a play that started in our own box after snuffing out a SKC attack where we played out of pressure with beautiful one and two-touch passes and resulted in a shot that Melia saved. It was probably the most beautiful passing sequence we've had since 2014 and if it had resulted in a goal everyone would have been sharing it online for a long time to come. If we can just keep the positives in offense from this game when Puig returns and then figure out how to have a half-way decent defense, this team could actually be really really good and play a very attractive style of soccer.

73Bruin, skydog, Geneva and 4 others repped this.
  11. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tika - Kuntzo

TrickHog, skydog and Dawdler repped this.
  12. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    JPAR, Bilgediver, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  13. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting, former players show up to visit all the time, I don't recall seeing them in a current roster picture after a win.

maybe Julian is realizing that the grass isn't always greener on the other side, or he was homesick, paid a visit and he saw the opportunity to jump in the picture so he took it

and its pretty cool that our lord and savior Kuntz is smack dab in the middle of the picture.

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Chris Mavinga has been in at least one of these photos too

TrickHog, hav77 and Dawdler repped this.
  15. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know he played on the team but I still have no idea what he looks like, so I know I missed him in any pictures he was in.

TrickHog repped this.
  16. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Word is Barcelona plans to keep him on their roster and not loan him out. Cheering for him hard!

Likely here on a short vacation or visit home before the start of the biggest season of his career.

Dawdler, TrickHog, mbar and 1 other person repped this.
  17. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Honestly looked for Robbie Roger's as well since he was in attendance.

18. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA

He's the guy sitting smack dab in the bottom middle holding up Puig's jersey

Dawdler, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'll be darned. The blond effect. Anyway, that was a nice play. Always liked Cerillo and hoped he would develop into a decent starter. He's climbing up the ladder.

natfaninla and TrickHog repped this.
  20. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog, hav77 and Benny Dargle repped this.
  21. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gabriel Pec (1g 2a although also heavily involved in the other goal as well) makes Team of the Matchday. Dejan (1g 1a) makes the bench.

Dawdler, skydog, Geneva and 1 other person repped this.