P/I/P Season 28 Game 29: LA Galaxy vs Minnesota, 9/20/2023, 7:30 p.m. PST Apple TV

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Sep 19, 2023.

1. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Still on a high, what a game! I'm giving props to Edwards again, guy plays with heart, and he was able to break the press when we couldn't get out. Sometimes you need unorthodox.

Fagundez has to start. He gave service to Sharp and is a difference maker.

ProudNatRN, Geneva, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    And Dejan will become expendable. I really think he's gone next winter.

Will new DP, 38 years old Sharp and Preston Judd be enough for the whole season ? I don't know.

3. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Watching second half now. Puigee should have scored the 56' open header.

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hang in there, it gets better.

5. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Our defense has given up 9 goals over the last 3 games. Only our great offense over that time saved us from going 0-3-0. We got hot & scored 8 goals ourself and so ended up 1-1-1, which is still not a make-playoffs pace. We obviously can’t count on scoring >8 goals every three games. Ergo our defense has to improve. Now. A lot.

8. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, true. I love Raheem Edwards, but I believe he's emblematic of some of the problems we have under Vanney. He is a great athlete, makes a great play on occasion, even has great games, but a lot of his game is a mixture of out of position defending, and erratic passing that cause the counterattacks that our smart opponents wait for. Vanney is the coach who keeps coming back to Raheem and using him extensively. Aude wouldn't be as dynamic in attack, but he would be more reliable in defense over the long haul, and he would be more of a team player with more reliable passing in buildup. IMO.

9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  10. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I think one of those "out-of-position defending" moves Edwards made last night was to block a ball on the goal line that I'm not sure Bond was going to get to. You take the good with the bad with Raheem.

11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #236 skydog, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    They just need to be taught to get and stay goal side of their man. On one of their counterattack goals they had 5 on 3 at the edge of our box. That was because our team lost it’s shape. Our players all push up at the same time without regard to our opponents positioning. Nothing wrong with Edwards pushing up - in fact he should do that. But then Mavinga needs to slide over to cover for him, Yoshida slide to cover Mavinga’s area and so on. The midfielders need to be communicating so that they have enough hanging back to cover all attackers when we have a turnover. We do none of this and that is 100% on Vanney. The players should figure it out but when they don’t it is the manager’s job to get them performing their roles correctly. This is one of the biggest reasons I doubt Vanney long term. This is not rocket science but he still hasn’t figured it out, even three seasons in.

PS - Raheem is also undisciplined in his 1 on 1 defending, so I’m not disagreeing with you at all. Just saying it’s both a Raheem issue and a team issue.

JPAR, ProudNatRN, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    On two of the goals we also went to ground and missed without any cover behind. That is a rookie 101 mistake and should be coached out of the players. Another example of poor coaching.

ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  13. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a good, fortunate play. I agree about the good and the bad - that's my point.

Benny Dargle, TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  14. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in previous games Gaston would have hung back and covered for an upswinging wingback, as is the case in the modern game with wingbacks. our DM is supposed to do that.

TrickHog repped this.
  15. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think part of it is our team is desperate for points. So desperate we're committing far too much to the attack without really planning for a possible counter.

TrickHog repped this.
  16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    h
    Well then we are dumb. Allowed goals count toward outcome just as much as scored goals.

In fact it is easier to prevent a goal than to score one. That is why all of the best teams have good defenses - they know defense is controllable and hence a reliable way to get results.

TrickHog and Bilgediver repped this.
  17. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    absolutely. You would think a Coach with Defensive pedigree would understand defensive discipline.

shelbo, skydog, El Futbolisimo and 2 others repped this.
  18. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What killed me again, was when we were up a man in the last 10 minutes and we don't press at all. We just sit back in the box and give them all the time in the world to pick out a pass. That's the 2nd time in 3 weeks we have been a man up and done this. That is poor coaching (I would give give Vanney a slight pass, because half the team is new, but we have had this problem for 3 years under him).
    We don't press well as a team and we leave guys open right outside the box to shoot. We just need to keep scoring 4 goals a game I guess.

hav77, ragbone, skydog and 2 others repped this.
  19. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    You would think. :rolleyes:

JPAR, shelbo, Bilgediver and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesse Marsch is available

:whistling:

hav77, JPAR and TrickHog repped this.
  21. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That guy may be a good coach, but he rubs me the wrong way. Stemming from when I sat in front of him at the HDC during a national team game and listened to him opine to a colleague, many years ago.

TrickHog repped this.
  22. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds interesting.....
    [​IMG]

Berks, hav77, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My memory is terrible, and I can't remember anything specific. It was probably not that bad, but he struck me as humorless and opinionated, and I probably disagreed with something he said.

TrickHog repped this.
  24. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol I remember the talk comparing Jesse to a certain show on apple tv and plenty saying that he is absolutely not like the character of ted lasso at all.

Geneva and TrickHog repped this.
  25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He strikes me as a bit of a jerk. And I'm no
    Yeah, my observations are that Jesse Marsch is probably like how the Ted Lasso character was originally going to be portrayed.

Geneva repped this.