P/I/P: Playoffs - Leg #1 Away - LA Galaxy vs Seattle Sounders 08/31/10 5:00 PM PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by tsaldana3, Oct 26, 2010.

1. tsaldana3

tsaldana3 Member

Apr 26, 2008
    TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]VS [​IMG]

Watch - ESPN 2, Deportes
    Listen - 1150 AM 1330 AM

Previous Game

LA Galaxy 2-1 FC Dallas

Current Position

Supporter Shield Winners!

18-7-5

Galaxy Injury Report
    (As of ???)

OUT - ???
    DOUBTFUL - ???
    QUESTIONABLE - ???
    PROBABLE - ???

Predicted Lineup

--------------------- Buddle --------- Kirovski --------------------

--------- Donovan ------------ Juninho ------------ Beckham -------

----------------------------- Kovalenko ----------------------------

----- Dunivant ------- Gonzalez -------- AJDLG ------- Franklin -----

------------------------------ Ricketts ----------------------------

2. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    thank you Ts3

3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know some people will shudder at that lineup with Kirovski up top next to Buddle, but that might be the better lineup for the first leg, where we play conservative and the primary goal is to hold the ball, stay compact and only look to attack on the counter. Kirovski is much better with his back to goal than any player we have not named Buddle, and while he lacks any dynamics in the attack, he is generally smart and tidy on the ball.

I also think that if Birchall can't go, we'll need Kovalenko in there for his toughness in the midfield. And I like AJDLG marking Montero a lot more than Berhalter.

Then we have guys like Stephens and Magee who can sub in during the second half to inject some pace and hustle to the team.

So, all in all, I would be very happy to see that lineup of players come this Sunday.

4. css71588

css71588 Member

Apr 20, 2009
    perris ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy Injury Report
    OUT – None
    DOUBTFUL – None
    QUESTIONABLE – Chris Birchall (Right Calf – Contusion)
    PROBABLE – None

5. Poling

Poling Member

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we don't come out too conservative. Since this is an away match I would hope that we can get a goal or two on the road.
    I would like to see us come out and press the ball and keep it in their half of the field. Once we get a couple goals bunker down and try to attack on the counter.

6. BlueMagic

BlueMagic Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Avalon
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're built to match up well with Seattle. We can absorb pressure, counter, and we have superior aerial play, despite not having Gordo on the team.

It's a big game for them, they hate us after embarrassing them earlier the season, they'll have their 40K fans behind them. I'm sure they'll try to come out guns blazing. We have a ton of experience on our side to stay cool under pressure. I think we'll buy our time and let them make a mistake. Despite his inexperience, I think Juninho will need to have a huge game.

I almost see Bruce putting Landon up top to free him up for the counter, and let Mikey Stephens play out left to do some defensive dirty work to help Dema and Juninho. Question is, does Bruce have enough confidence in his rookie to have him out there for a such a big game in an extremely hostile environment??

7. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That to me is going to be the million dollar question, because we are surely going to need Mikey and Bowen (practically a rookie) in these playoff games.

This is not the same Seattle we beat twice this year. They got 2 new DP's in Blaise and Fernandez. Montero is finally getting quality service out of the midfield and Zakuani & Alonso have both stepped up their game. I know we can still beat this team, but if we take them lightly for even a second they will make us pay for it. They are going to come out all guns blazing with the hopes of drowning us in goals in the name of revenge against the team that embarrassed them so badly that they had to give refunds to their fans. We must have no mistakes in the back line to come out of this fight on top.

8. Jedimaster1

Jedimaster1 Member

Aug 11, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep LD on the mid. It's no use having him on the counter when Becks would be the only one able to get the ball down field quickly. LD is more effective as a midfielder and it gives him more touches. If he's playing up top, then he has the tendency to drift lower and lower to receive the ball. This nullifies his speed and quickness, and thus makes him less of a threat.

I think we play conservative and counter. Seattle is going to have 40k behind them and you watch, as the game goes by, the team and the fans will get frustrated if they don't pick up a goal before they come to LA for the second leg. That's when you counter and steal a goal on the road. And besides, it's better to come back here nil-nil than down 1 or 2 goals where we would have to press for that equalizer(s). That's where we have struggled all year with is picking up that late goal when it matters.

Seattle is quick and we need to play smart. I love the beerholder, but AJ is playing very well and needs to stay as a CB. I just am reluctant to name that second striker, and honestly, I think Magee (who I criticize with impunity and vigor) would be better served than Jovan. I just have the gut feeling he could actually help in a game like this one.

9. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree.

If Magee can have the game of his life and our back line can help Ricketts return to his shutout form, we're in good shape.

If, however, we leak a goal early because we can't seem to hold the ball, we're in trouble.

10. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that I'd rather have Bowen out there than Magee.

11. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't see this happening at all. Maybe at home - but not away.

The last few times Stephens got to play, despite his great work ethic and good things he does, I seem to remember more than a few times he made some poor decisions with the ball and it put us under defensive pressure. I just can't see Bruce risking that. Not in the first game.

I'm expecting LD in midfield and either Kiro or Magee to start with Buddle up top.

12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

Stephens and Bowens as potential subs, yes. But I don't see Arena suddenly changing his ways and trusting rookies in our road playoff game.

13. harry callahan

Jul 15, 2007
    Angel City Brigade
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Keep it simple, short passes, hold on to possession and frustrate them, then after 20 minutes when we have dampened the homecrowd atmosphere,..... fix bayonets and charge the b@stards.;)

14. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if Seattle is giving their usual money-back guarantee?

15. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It probably will be a conservative game. Does LA even do the bunker-waiting and counterattack game? I just hope we don't lose.

16. cees

cees New Member

May 12, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the proposed lineups sound good to me. My personal opinion is that we should start pressing from the beggining of the game. All of us can see that playing the counter is the plan againts Seattle. Why not suprise everyone and start preassuring for the goal. I don't want us to sit back and wait for the counter on a team that is hot and will want nothing more that to score first knowing we have not been successful and come from behind wins. I will go as far to say that a tie in Seattle will be a bad result since we don't usually impress at home. Can't wait for this game, where is a place to go to watch this with other G fans?

17. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 3-0 win for LA sounds like a good possibility.

18. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If I thought we could rely on the team that played against Dallas to turn up, I'd be confident. However, despite improving over the August slump, I'm still nervous about our inconsistency.

The one thing in our favour - to quote the one thing that Grahame Jones has said in four years that I agree with - is that we seem to play better with our backs against the wall. Hopefully the knowledge that any kind of defeat will end our season will focus the team.

19. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Luis Bueno's twitter (he's out at Galaxy practice), he said Chris Brichall looked good to go - no hobbling or anything, showing no signs of injury.

That makes me happy. I prefer Chris to Dema out there - I'm not liking Dema's play as of late. Chris just seems to play smarter to me.

Oh and Luis also said Galaxy were looking pretty sharp.

20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I know I've said it before but I really don't agree that we are better with with Donovan in midfield for several reasons:

Defensively: I can see the appeal in terms of Donovan advancing the ball but midfielder's defensive duties are at least as important as their offensive ones.

1. If you don't want to chase the ball all game you need ball-winners in midfield, something neither Landon nor Becks are very good at (Becks does get stuck in occasionally tho, but still not his forte). The combo of Becks/LD/ Juninho combo doesn't put a lot of defensive intensity or pressure on the opposing midfield. Thats why our opponents have so much of the ball when we play this combo. Stephens provides much more pressure on the ball than Landon and b/c of that he creates turnovers that win us possession more often.

2. Stephens also tracks his man all the way back into the box if need be while Donovan tends to let his guy float. This has cost us more than 1 goal this season. We can't afford for this to happen in the playoffs.

Offensively:

1. He's more dangerous on the right or up top. If you've watched Landon play for LA for the last couple years you know that the vast majority of his goals and assists have come when he was either on the right or in the center of the field. It has been a long time since he has made a dangerous run from left wing. This is a guy who scored 20 goals in 25 games in 2008, a year when he played on the right or up top much more often. While its true that he gets fewer touches up top, even this year each of the few times he's been up top he's created some of our most dangerous chances. He didn't score on a couple of those break-aways but don't count on him not finishing the next one.

2. He also gets to combine more with Becks and Buddle when they are closer to him on the field. Also with Franklin when he wanders up. This is a good thing - the closer your best players are to each other the more they can play off each other.

3. He is light years better than our 2nd choice forward. And he isn't light years better as a midfielder than our 2nd choice (Stephens or Birchall). So putting him up top allows us to get our best players on the field. We don't end up holding our noses and starting Kirovski or Magee.

Other:

Midfield is a very physically demanding position and unfortunately Donovan is physically worn out. I watched him closely in the game against Dallas and in the 2nd half he mostly jogged or walked when Dallas had the ball even though we were protecting a 1 goal lead. He only really turned on the energy when the ball came to him. This isn't a sign that he is lazy - just that he can't play hard for 90 minutes and needs to pick and choose when he is going to go all out. Playing forward is much less taxing and fits the style of play he is currently capable of perfectly.

I also would much rather have Becks in the center where he is more dangerous. But that's another story since it means either Juninho at DM or on the bench. Hmmm... wonder how Juninho would be at right mid? :rolleyes:

21. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly...

1. There is nothing wrong with not playing Juninho in this leg.
    2. If we were that desperate for a RM, Bowen would easily be the candidate.

3. In a leg where defense is gonna be most important how about

--------------------------------BUDDLE--------

--------------------------Donovan------

---------Stephens-------------------------------------Beckham-----
    ----------------------------------Birchall--------------
    ---------------------------Kovalenko---------------------------

--------------Dunivant----AJ----------Omar------Franklin...

Just an awkward variation of a 4-4-1-1 with two natural CDM's

As has been stated... a draw is worth a win IMO for this leg

22. BlueMagic

BlueMagic Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Avalon
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wouldnt put it past Bruce to play a 2 DM set if we have brace and if Juninho happens to pick up a card.

23. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juninho in for dema

24. Venturadoc

Venturadoc Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Ventura, CA
    I'm pumped and nervous. We need to continue to do what has worked. Its a big game and we need to put our best eleven on the pitch regardless of experience etc. For me, we need the tenacity of Birchill and Stephens in the midfield. Birchall needs to stay deep and be the Hoover vaccuum. Juni needs to be up the pitch in a diamond formation distributing the ball to our attacking trio of Buddle, LD and Becks. Thats it and one other thing AJ needs to start.

----------------------------Buddle--------------------
    ------------------------------Donovan------------------------
    Stephens----------------Juni------------------------Becks
    ----------------------------Birchall---------------------
    Duni--------------AJD---------Omar----------------Sean
    -------------------------Ricketts--------------------------

We need to control the ball, pressure high up the pitch and selective forays by Franklin. Lets get a goal, lock it down in the back. No excuses, its time for our stars to shine and our younger players are ready. lets get er done.

25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    We have a knack for beating Seattle by hefty score lines so I am home this continues. It's going to be difficult to watch for me. I am on the east, in college, and it's Halloween weekend.