P/I/P personal Home opener, Rapids v TorontoB, 4/14, Saturday 1PM

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, Apr 13, 2018.

1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We play a football team from Toronto who are very good soccer but won't have their best players at 1PM at the Dick tomorrow, Saturday. Discuss your concerns and predictions here. Then discuss the game as it happens. Then discuss the game afterwards. I like to get these going on Friday.

I predict the Rapids win 3-0.

fortcollins and jimijam28 repped this.
  2. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me this game is a must win, but I'm actually not optimistic. Yeah, Toronto are holding back virtually all of their key players which gives us a big advantage on paper, but we have a long history of losing games like this where we "should" win. It doesn't instill a lot of faith when you couple that with our newfound habit of collapsing late.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but the cynic in me says Gashi, Aigner, and Boli will be MIA again, Hudson will deploy overly-conservative tactics again, and we'll drop the result in the last 10 minutes again.

rapidogordo and Andy126 repped this.
  3. jimijam28

jimijam28 Member+

Nov 9, 2010
    Denver area
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree that this a must win- - i am going 2-0 win

fortcollins and Andy126 repped this.
  4. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personal home opener?

[​IMG]

As a Rapids fan, there can be only one prediction!

[​IMG]

AlbertCamus and COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    fortcollins and Totoro repped this.
  7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The first game I'll make this year. It's about me.

8. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm watching on TV and it's still about me. Goals by Badji and Landeskog in a 2-0 victory. (Hey, I'm going to be channel changing.)

Bridgeman repped this.
  9. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

:D

AlbertCamus and SccrDon repped this.
  10. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Crap it’s at 1pm??? Ugh I have my kiddo’s soccer game at the same time.

Didn’t realize it was an early one.

Rapids tend to blow the easy ones so I predict 1-1 score.

11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PRO's assignments:

REF: BALDOMERO TOLEDO
    AR1: Adam Garner
    AR2: Felisha Mariscal
    4TH: Ramy Touchan
    VAR: Ricardo Salazar

. . . and the all-anagram version:

REF: OLD BLOATED ROMEO
    AR1: Red Anagram
    AR2: I Am Elfish Rascal
    4TH: Canary Mouth
    VAR: Alias "Razor Card"

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-1 draw, goal by Mason. Despite the talk of "the greatest team of all time" (which, to be fair, they appear to be backing up in their CCL play) TFC hasn't beaten us in a game we wanted to win since 2015. They haven't beaten us in Colorado in almost 10 years (Aug of '08). I don't see those streaks ending tomorrow with a makeshift Toronto lineup. Toledo is the ref, which means something crazy is likely to happen, and we haven't played 90 minutes of soccer yet this season so I doubt either side gets a clean sheet.

http://view-from-the-couch.blogspot.com/2018/04/deja-vu-at-dick.html

fortcollins, Andy126 and Rod1916 repped this.
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Yes, it's early for a "must win" but this looks to be one of those circumstances. The Rapids in theory will have more of their first team talent. At the same time they may be working Gashi and Boli into the side in this match.

Regardless, they can't continue to drop points.

So far Hudson seems to favor those players he is familiar with for the selection. This most likely means that Colvey and Wynne will be in the starting XI. Will Enzo be starting again? Will it be Boateng? Or Gashi? Certainly Blomberg will be in the XI.

In terms of tactics, let's hope the Rapids aren't going to cede possession and then look to score via the counter.

fortcollins and Andy126 repped this.
  14. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Rapids win 2-0.

This isn't TFC resting their big players, this is TFC resting EVERYBODY. They signed 3 scrub USL players to first team contracts today and flew them to Colorado for the game.

Andy126 repped this.
  15. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Any word on Wilson’s availability? Would love to see Wilson, Axel and Smith on the back line.....and Deklan Wynne nowhere near it.

16. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Same goes for Colvey #FreeSerna

17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    That's a bad omen. You wrote "the Myth of Sisyphus," an essay of course based on the figure from Greek mythology who was sentenced for eternity to always to be up late in the 2nd half in a soccer match only to blow the points in injury time. Then he had to start over building the lead again...

fortcollins and AlbertCamus repped this.
  18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    It will be in the 50's and windy. 1PM start time will keep it warmer than the Philly game, but it's going to be another one of those games far colder than it looks out the window. Especially if you sit on the west side (in the shade).

19. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    In my opinion this is a statement game (as opposed to a “must win”.....semantics, I know). To me, a “must win” is more of a statistical measure, ie “This game is a must win or they are all but eliminated from the playoff picture.”

As a statement game, if the fanbase is to believe that this is “a new era of Rapids football” (which I do believe), then you HAVE to win the games you’re supposed to win. ESPECIALLY at home.

As Canpro stated above, this isn’t a case of the TFC resting their best....this is a case of TFC resting EVERYONE. This is a game the new look Rapids have to win because it’s a game they’re SUPPOSED to win. That’s what “perennial playoff contenders” do. They take care of business.

To me, a loss (or even tie for that matter) will be far more harmful than a win will be helpful. If we win, good. We should win. A loss to a group of backups and USL callups in a game where the opposing Coach openly said “we aren’t really prioritizing this game”, would be a fairly damning indictment of where we are as a club at this point.

2-0 or 3-1 Rapids....because I’m an optimist.

PS. Anyone else find the poetic irony in Hudson calling our Champions league games against TFC a “preseason/warmup”....then Vanney treating our in season matchup essentially the same way. One good turn deserves another!

fortcollins, AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  20. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Rapids will break out of their quick-start-quit-late mode today, and just get their butts kicked from start to finish. Maybe a nil-3 or nil-4 loss?*

*Now let's see if the reverse psychology can get us a win.

Andy126 repped this.
  21. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Given who TOR has sent to this game, the Rapids will only appear credible if they win by at least two goals, preferably more. 3-1 Rapids win is what I think should and can happen. If Rapids expect to win, and act like it... they prolly won't.

jimijam28 and Andy126 repped this.
  22. jimijam28

jimijam28 Member+

Nov 9, 2010
    Denver area
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i going with 5-0 win now

23. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Seriously, what is the deal with Aigner?!? Not in the 18. Again

What is the deal with that dude?!?

24. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    McBean starting again? No Mason, Jackson, Aigner, Miller, Wilson.....How is that half the team end up injured EVERY game?

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boil is on the bench as well as Gashi. Love get these two into the match early in the 2nd half.

Andy126 repped this.