P/I/P, MiB Round of 16: Revs vs PHI, 7/25/2020 10:30pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jul 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly goes 2-0-1 with 7 pts. scoring 4 times and giving up 2. Philly with a new German forward 6'4 Kacper Przybylko who looks to be a decent player. They also have a new DP #10 in Jamiro Monteiro from Holland. May be noted that their bracket with the expansion team as well as a poorly performing NYCFC may have been one of the easier brackets

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly new, he played for Philly all of last year. Had 15G/4A in 26 games. Definitely a threat.

Pronunciation: KATS-pehr Shuh-BILL-koh (link)

4. CTREVS

CTREVS Member

New England Revolution
    Apr 18, 2002
    Hamden
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm definitely confused by the format of this tourney. How does second place draw second place? also 10.30 AM kick off ick was hoping for night when I'm not at work.

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is at night (PM, not AM).

6. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because so many teams make it in, there are several 1 versus 3 matches, which leaves 2 vs. 2 as the "fair" matchup for the other teams in those groups.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Casual Fan repped this.
  11. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know 40 years ago a 10:30 game time at night would have been great, I could watch it from the nightclub!! But that was a long time ago.

I am far from a marketing person, but how do you expect to draw in a wider audience and sell your product when 2 east coast teams don't kick off until 10:30 pm. And most of the bars are closed. :confused:

Go revs

12. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

[​IMG]

13. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    At 35’ Revs. farrrrrr toooo docile!

14. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Now @ 44’ Revs all the more docile. Arena keeps shaking his head in in incomprehension. Yet this is. HIS MLS team. Union seems to want this one a LOT more than the Revs; with apologies to Revs fans because we deserve better, don’t we?

15. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to know what Arena said to El-Fath. I'm guessing it was over not adding any extra time when Philly wasted a minute and a half of the four minutes of stoppage.

Anybody else think Jim Curtain is going for the Stevie Nicol look with the short haircut and new glasses!

17. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs have a bg problem. We can't score goals and no goals means no wins. So the question is.... what will Arena do about it? THere s no answer on the present team and he doesnt appear to be looking for outside help. By the way.... we're boring to watch

18. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't complain too much about the result. Seemed fair, even though I felt like the Revs had most of the run of play. It's stating the obvious to say Gil would have made a difference, but I wish we had just a bit more talent up front. Penilla, Buksa, Buchanon are all decent, but only that.

Make some room for the Revs in the middle of the table.

Jon Martin repped this.
  19. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Watching the game, only 4 field players really struck me as "wanting to win the game". Those were Rowe, Farrell, Buttner, and Buksa. Everyone else plodded along and was invisible for long stretches.

Extra credit for Tajon and Teal, who look like a track athlete plaaying soccer for the first time, and a retired track athlete respectively. They offer nothing

20. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Agree with most of the comments. The people Revs spent all the money on did exactly nothing. Büttner looked slow. Bou looked like he had pulled his give-a-shit muscle, and was largely responsible for the goal. Buksa is neither fast, nor good with his feet, nor good in the air, nor does he have good anticipation. We can't be this dependent on Gil, because he is going to miss some games. Agree that Rowe, Farell, Turner, Bye and Buchanan looked motivated, but every single one of the field players in that group are role players. The season is not riding on them. I'm thinking we need more offensive help. The one interesting innovation was at the end of the game - DeJuan Jones at Dmid.

21. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a dire match.

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buchanon was bad. Bou's give-away was horrid. While Arena's right to yell at the ref (without going quite that ballistic), we could have had 30 minutes of extra time and we weren't going to score. We barely threatened Blake (one header, and one free kick). This offense scares me.

tsb11 repped this.
  23. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good: overall I am somewhat happy, we made it out of group play. That in my mind was goal # 1. Another positive take away is that we gave up 2 goals in 4 games. Wasn't that the offseason number 1 issue, fix the defense, we need a CB or 2. We picked up an LB and the rest remained the same. I think Bye is getting better and I like Farrell and Kessler as the CB pairing. I think it will be interesting to see where Polster lands on the pitch.

The bad: I thought both teams looked sloppy and haggard at times during the game. I am chalking it up to playing for 2 weeks in 80+ degree heat and humility. Then throw in the fact that the game's kickoff was at 10:30 pm east coast time.

The Ugly: where did this high powered offense go? I hope Gil is not seriously hurt, because this team doesn't seem to generate much offense or goals when he is not conducting the orchestra.

teskicks repped this.
  24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This morning, Brad Feldman said he believes Polster will take Zahibo's slot, and pair with Rowe in CM.

BERich repped this.
  25. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost everyone has looked sloppy in the tournament. Heat is one issue, but this is really still a new preseason for all the teams. It's time to start worrying, but I'm not going to hit the panic button on the offense until a few more games into the season (assuming it continues).

BERich repped this.