P/I/P Match 27: Revs @MIN, Sat 9/9/23 8:30p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Sep 5, 2023.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jeff Lemieux
    posted: Monday, Sep 4, 2023, 02:07 PM

Only the Revs second visit to Minnesota, last was a 2-1 loss back in 2018 (predates their new stadium).

Due to international callups, no Makoun (might be a good thing) or Buck, while the Loons will be missing Teemu Pukki and Joseph Rosales.

edcrocker repped this.
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preview | Revs kick off three-game road stretch with first trip to Allianz Field on Saturday night
    Caroline Oatway
    posted: Friday, Sep 8, 2023, 09:24 AM

Williams also said in his presser that Kessler is a week or two away from returning to practice.

edcrocker repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a month or so before he's ready tp play? Hopefully this means we can gel just in time for the playoffs

4. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Ill be watching the NATS at 5:30. A friendly is better than watching Richie blow another game

5. BERich

BERich Member

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NATS coach is even worse than Richie Williams - IMHO

pwykes and Feldspar repped this.
  6. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I agree....lets see if they can win inspite of him

7. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Given the news that's come out about Arena just prior to kickoff, will be interesting to see whether players are affected. Long term I don't see how this club keeps it together. We may have already seen the high point of their season.

8. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 KapeGuy, Sep 9, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
    Revs didn't look like the better team the first half -- fortunate to come out even and very fortunate to come out ahead. the expected goals looks about right -- .8 for Minn and .4 for Revs. But that's soccer . . . it's largely about who finished their chances.

9. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #9 sean'o, Sep 9, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
    Second half @ front, mid and especially back - out hustled and bedraggled. Why can’t Revs handle headers?

At 77 mins. the ref has decided the Revs are the bad guys!?!? The loonies have been hacking all night so far, especially on Carles, naturally. Course it’d help if Revs mids & forwards could actually hold onto a pass. So Esmir gets run into and he’s called for blocking?!?! This match has gone FUBAR…

10. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Un-f***ing believable

pwykes and sean'o repped this.
  11. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we stop with the turtling? We’re clearly not prepared for it.

12. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Painful to watch. They couldn't connect passes when it mattered, kept leaving themselves under pressure constantly. Lucky to walk away with a point. Giving it up the way they did makes it feel worse, but the reality is coming out of there with anything to show for it was a miracle.

pwykes repped this.
  13. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Just about every move Williams made didn't work. Esmer was the only one who did anything positive. Sweat not being able to collect Gil's cross field pass probably cost them the match. But it wasn't just him. Tommy Mac, Spaulding, Wood - all terrible. This loss was the fault of all these guys. They sucked.

pwykes and ktsd repped this.
  14. BAC2829

BAC2829 Member

Apr 15, 2023
    Ah, my good ol' Revs. 5 MLS Cup losses. MLS points record followed by a first round defeat. I should have been ready for anything.

But conceding your 2nd straight 93rd minute equalizer, and then having the architect of your recent success announce their resignation 5 minutes later...and then learning that the current coach, the person whose role it is to somehow galvanize the disoriented team, is now publicly known to be behind the firing of the coach the players all seemed to love...Oh, this takes the cake, just because of the outrageousness of it all.

Positives: We looked genuinely crisp at times in the first half. Edwards, one muffed catch aside, stepped up big time. Omar's rejuvenation is a joy to watch. Gil bros' goal was cool. Chancalay's legit.

Negatives: We somehow can't control a game beyond the 70th minute. Williams seems to be a significantly worse in-game-manager than Arena. McNamara was so rusty that he was a warm body and nothing else (can't really blame him, but it wasn't ideal).

Random thought: We could really use a top-tier center mid. Kaye and Harkes are both solid players, and I'm happy they're here. We've got a lot of depth where we used to have far too little. But still, everyone in the middle of the field is inconsistent and error-prone. A lot of our low points in matches seem to stem from a few bad middle-of-the-park giveaways in quick succession. If MLS gives us another DP (and they have to, right, to capitalize on The Messi Era?), that's where I'd like to see them use it.

pwykes repped this.
  15. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Congrats Richie.....you suck. Were doomed under "cant win" Williams. Please quit too and do it now!

pwykes repped this.
  16. brdmaverick1

brdmaverick1 Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    What a f’n joke.

I wanted to throw up most of the game even when we had the lead. I mean, do we expect to play ‘prevent defense’ for an entire half and get away with it?

We’re second in the league, can’t we score and KEEP PLAYING!?!?!

now we’ve conceded on the last kick of the game two weeks in a row?!?! What a joke.

this is embarrassing

17. brdmaverick1

brdmaverick1 Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    …and these announcers pissed me off too. In like the last ten minutes they would talk about the result as if it were final.

pwykes repped this.
  18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gutted. Absolutely gutted. I've never screamed at my TV louder than I did after that game last night. A team good enough to be in second place has now:

Lost Borrero for the year
    Lost Bye for the year
    Lost Arena forever
    Given up last-second, game-tying goals in back to back games

Any chance of winning an MLS Cup is gone. How much misery can one fanbase take?

19. brdmaverick1

brdmaverick1 Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    And then late in the game when they had some chances to actually ‘possess the ball’ it’s like they forgot basic fundamentals. Too often we had unforced turnovers.

Was it Swear who couldn’t corral Gil’s cross field pass? When that happened I thought ‘this is eerily similar to DuJuan Jones not being able to keep the ball in play last week’

ktsd and pwykes repped this.
  20. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pit was Sweat.. macnamera did the same thing a little earlier.

21. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    As did Spaulding. It's like these guys weren't mentally ready to play when called upon in a game that mattered. That's unacceptable.

pwykes repped this.
  22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few have been named, but we can keep adding players to the list that took their eye off the ball and lost it to Minnesota. Simple passes to absolutely no one. Simple passes that should have been corralled, but weren't expected for some reason? I mean seriously, Sweat, that was just a phenomenal ball by Gil to get the Revs out of danger, and he had enough space to almost run out the clock ... and instead, just watches it go by him for a Loons throw-in.

Saying I'm disgruntled at this point is putting it mildly.

sean'o, teskicks and Tea Men Tom repped this.
  23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    While I have my share of blame to go around to Revs players, I think they were severely home-teamed by the ref in this one, particularly in the 2nd half. And, while it wasn't any one particularly influential call/non-call, it was more like death-by-a-thousand-cuts. Somehow, when we were trying to shield the ball and got pushed over from behind, we never got a call - when contact from behind has nothing like a shoulder-to-shoulder exception. Add to that a couple of blatantly missed throw-in calls late in the contest.

When you're struggling on the road to defend a narrow lead, under the pressure of over-whelming possession, to get little support from the ref shouldn't have to be a factor.

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be the optimist here. While their recent results have been bad, their run of form has been good and objectively this team is going to the playoffs where basically anything can happen, and top 4 teams get home field for the first round. Ideally Bou, Kessler and Vaclik are all playing sometime before the regular season ends. This team can't hold leads, but it doesn't look like they've given up or anything.