P/I/P Match 25: Revs @ TOR, Wed 8/17/22 7:30p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Aug 15, 2022.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto vs New England: Match Details
    revolutionsoccer.net

As stated in the last thread, no Kessler for this one.

TOR is 3W-0L-1D in last four (11 GF, 4 GA), with the draw coming in Foxboro.

Revs 2 game winning streak is first of the season.

2. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is he not vaccinated? Refusal?

3. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Yup. And as in the DC post game thread, I'm sure we need to end the discussion at this point for obvious reasons.

I have some level of faith that the defense can keep performing without him. Bell looked much better/more comfortable in his last few appearances - hopefully he won't be too rusty.

4. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Oh also, Polster & fam have Covid so he won't be making at least this first trip which is a bummer. I assume the team is coming back before the MTL game or can find a way to get him up there if he is 5 days out from positive test at that point. Hopefully they all aren't feeling too crummy. We will need him for sure against MTL if he can manage.

edcrocker repped this.
  5. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Isn't Bell injured? Not sure he'll be available.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was on the bench last game, so I'm assuming he was OK to play?

7. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Ahh, I guess I missed that. He was unavailable for the previous game against Orlando. Good to know he's back.

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preview | Revs begin two-game trip to Canada with Wednesday night visit to Toronto FC
    By Jeff Lemieux
    Tuesday, Aug 16, 2022, 02:31 PM

11. superkeeper

superkeeper Member

Jul 9, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Makoun would get a start instead? Would be telling if he did.

Feldspar repped this.
  12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope it would be Makoun and Bell, but I just don't see Bruce doing that. He likes experience, and Makoun hasn't played CB for the Revs yet. He might play him with Kessler or Farrell, but not with Bell.

13. brdmaverick1

brdmaverick1 Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    Man, we're running on fumes at this point.

Probably anotehr game without Bou, Borrero, and Vrioni. Add in Polster and Kessler along with the departures of Lleget and Trustauson.

It will take another heroic performance in goal to pull out 3 points here. Let's hope Petrovic is up to the task.

14. brdmaverick1

brdmaverick1 Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    Man, we're running on fumes at this point.

Probably anotehr game without Bou, Borrero, and Vrioni. Add in Polster and Kessler along with the departures of Lleget and Trustauson.

It will take another heroic performance in goal to pull out 3 points here. Let's hope Petrovic is up to the task.

15. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Scary lineup. Time for Rennicks to step up.

16. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    And he does! :)

17. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    That was a tense game to watch. I'm happy they came away with a point. Another gutsy performance that reminded me of how they played last year.

edcrocker and BrianLBI repped this.
  18. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    17-0 in corner kicks, 30% possession and they get a draw? Take the point and say 'Thank You'. Omar's best moments as a Rev. Rennicks with a huge goal. And 2 17 year olds on the pitch in that cauldron at the end. Not a bad night at all.

edcrocker, teskicks, BrianLBI and 5 others repped this.
  19. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For that lineup to come away with a draw is a fantastic result. The only disappointment stems from needing three points as often as possible because of the way this season has played out and given that we were up with 15 to go. But putting those things aside, 2-2 is a great result under the circumstances. And for the moment, we're above the red line.

edcrocker and rkupp repped this.
  20. brdmaverick1

brdmaverick1 Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    you summed up my sentiments exactly.

This is one that where Toronto will be kicking themselves for not getting the full 3 points.

21. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little picture: great to get a point in a game in which we were totally dominated.

Big picture: it's frightening to note we had to finish the game with a debutant 17-year-old midfielder at striker. And with Kaptoum going down, that's one fewer attacking player at Arena's disposition.

We've been riding a wave of luck, but it's absolutely not sustainable. The season is too close to its end to get our attacking players healthy, fit, and familiar with their teammates.

22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously outmanned, and it took a golazo for TOR to secure a point from us.

Amazed that Omar went the full 90 and didn't have a blunder. He even headed a dangerous ball over the bar late in the game.

Makoun was shaky in the first half, but seemed to settle down after that. Bruce said at halftime he didn't think it was a PK foul, but it was.

The PK non-call in second half was correct as well: that was a dive.

Funniest moment was when Gil got fouled, Bazakos carded the offender, Gil is still yelling, and Bazokos just holds his hands up, as if to say to Gil, "What more do you want?"

Glad to see Rennicks score. It was a perfect pass from Gil, although I think Bono could have done better on the shot.

Just imagine what this team could do with Bou, Vrioni, Borrero and IT-S out there...

Hopefully Kaptoum's injury isn't serious.

Kudos to Bruce for showing faith in the kids in a tight game.

edcrocker repped this.
  23. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Finally Rennicks gets another goal. He deserves it. With that goal, he passes Jozy's total production during his stay with the Revs. Lets hope its the first of many. I have been highly critical of Omar in the past but he played very well last night. I still prefer Henry but he was very good last night. Glad to see Buck and Bajraktarevic get minutes. Bajraktarevic needs to bulk up a bit if he wants to play in MLS. Rennicks seems stronger. I saw him shoulder charge a Toronto player in the first half and send him flying. Good to see him giving rather than taking for once. He also took out another defender that was grapping is shirt in the second half. Ref was fairly uneven and did not have a good game. I am totally in favor of yellow cards for any intentional shirt .grabs that stop a play. Rennicks and Gil are mugged every game and mostly no calls. The league has to stop the grabs, it ruins the game

edcrocker and pwykes repped this.
  24. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Revs didn't lose, which was amazing with the number of corner kicks Toronto had.

I want to give Makoun the same advice I gave Farrell...STAY ON YOUR FEET!! Also, I was surprised by how shaky he was with the ball at his feet. It looked like he couldn't use his right foot at all.

I have to give props to Omar, he played a good game. It looked like they were playing as a back 3, with Omar in the middle and not responsible for man marking. It worked!

The analyst on the Toronto broadcast didn't think either play was a penalty but admitted his bias as a former defender. He said that there was not enough evidence for var to change either call made on the field.

It was good to see Rennicks get a goal, the young man has worked hard the last few games. It was also good to see Esmir and Buck get some playing time. If the others can't get healthy the Revs will need the kids to step up.

edcrocker repped this.
  25. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think the bigger controversy is around the Laryea non foul call leading to Toronto's winning corner. if what makoun did is a pk, the. Laryea doing the same thing to Jones should be considered a foul no? Ditto when he body slammed Buck and somehow Buck got called for the foul.

no one thinks this ref is good, and today was another day he got everything wrong

pwykes, rkupp and teskicks repped this.