P/I/P Match 23: Revs @ ORL, Sat 8/6/22 7:30p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Aug 2, 2022.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hearing rumors that Borrero, at least, will be back.

NFLPatriot and Feldspar repped this.
  3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think Bruce said before last's Saturday's game that Bou was a week away - though he's said stuff like that before and the time seems to have stretched.

We're getting pretty close to desperation time - it's no longer about the necessity of getting 3 points at home.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando is struggling at home with 5 wins and 6 losses. A win on Saturday would put us in a tie with them on points, but we'd have a game in hand.

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preview | Revs kick off hectic August schedule with Saturday night visit to Orlando City SC
    By Jeff Lemieux
    Friday, Aug 5, 2022, 10:04 AM

With Bell out, I'd expect to see Makoun on the bench tomorrow.

edcrocker repped this.
  6. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Bou, no Borrero. Sigh.

7. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    More gawd awful MLS reffing!

8. BUSA Bulldog

BUSA Bulldog Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80th minute
    up 3-0
    we got this...
    Omar is up!:eek:

9. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who needs strikers?

10. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Good, hard played result!

11. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First solid complete game performance I've seen in a long time.

sean'o, Cannons and pwykes repped this.
  12. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see that coming.

13. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando fans have to be wondering how on earth their team contrived to lose that one 3-0, particularly when they saw the lineup the Revs ran out there.

Here's a funny thing about Petrovic. I was at Gillette a few weeks ago, watching him during warmups. He wasn't stopping anything. It made me kind of worried. But now I know the warmup Petrovic is on a different planet from the game Petrovic. I don't think I've ever seen a goalie with such inhuman reaction times. If he's not the best goalie in MLS right now, somebody needs to tell me who is.

edcrocker repped this.
  14. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    You ever see Matt Turner? They are very much the same with Petrovic a little taller. Once they get him to catch more than punch, Europe will come knocking.... again.
    Great game by the Revs.... welcome back! I want to call out a few key players. Henry Kessler - Great game. If hes not called in again to the Nats then it will confirm Beerholder is the fool I already think he is. Jones - also had a very good game. His crossing was better and he was solid. Rennicks - His best game. Constantly stretched the defense. Made good runs and should have got a PK for being tripped in the goal area. He needs minutes every game somewhere.
    Arena - Good moves this week. Got rid of the "log" (Jozy). He offered little and will fail in Mexico too. I dont see him coming back to the Revs. Plus he has an attitude problem. He was given plenty of chances and failed. Arena has cut his loses on Jozy. Lletget - Solid player but didnt create much. Good for him to move on. Arena signs an attacking midfielder and another defender. Have to think if the defender works out, Omar will be cut. Hope the AM is a good signing. We need more creativity there. I have said many times that is a weakness on out team. Glad Arena is learning haha

sean'o, BERich and pwykes repped this.
  15. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A nice win...finally!

My first thought when I saw the lineup was, Tommy Mac as a winger, we're never going to score. I guess it's a good thing that I wait until after the match to comment. :oops:

When the Revs get Bou and Borrero back in the lineup they should be in pretty good shape for a run into the playoffs.

If I was an up-and-coming goalie I would want to play for the Revs. Kevin Hitchcock must be some goalie coach. After one of Petrovic's saves the Orlando announcer said that he was doing his best Matt Turner impression.

Feldspar, sean'o and edcrocker repped this.
  16. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    For the first time this season I thought they played like they did last year. I hope this wasn't a fluke and they have their chemistry back.

sean'o repped this.
  17. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should I be worried that not a single new acquisition saw the field last night?

18. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet, not clear if the last two additions even made it to Foxboro, much less Orlando. I noticed that Llegett starred for FCD.

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was... different. I missed it live, so I had to watch it on Hulu, got the Orlando broadcast (heard YSA from their fans, too).

ORL completely dominated possession for the first ten minutes, largely due to Kaptoum being a turnover machine. He ended with a goal and an assist, so I can't complain.

Agree with @Cannons that Rennicks works hard and should have had a PK, but he's not exactly goal dangerous.

Vrioni didn't see the field. Hopefully that was due to the Revs being ahead and opting for defense instead of bringing him in. I was expecting him to start though.

ORL won possession battle (53.2% to 46.8) and had more shots (18-11), but Revs had more shots on goal (5-3). ORL also had the better xG (1.1 to 0.9).

Gil didn't get an assist on the first goal, but his setup work was fantastic.

If Omar has to see the field, playing 1 minute in a game you are up by 3 is the best we can hope for.

Revs are now above the line (7th) on PPG. Eleven games left, 6 at home.

After DCU, it's a 4-day trip to Canada (at TOR 8/17, at MON 8/21), then a 3-game homestand in 8 days.

Revs tied on points with CHI, and they face them twice in these last 11 (including Decision Day).

pwykes repped this.
  20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Best 90 minute performance of the season.

I've been getting on McNamara a lot this season, and he started off the wrong way by committing needless, clumsy fouls, but he set up the first two goals with beautiful passes, so he's my MOTM, with Petro runner up.

Terrific quickness/reactions by Petrovic, but he still makes some young mistakes, so let's not anoint him best in MLS yet. The cross he came out for and totally misjudged was a clear mistake he got away with. Still, the progress and confidence he's showing is really, really impressive and bodes well for the Revs.

Have to say Orlando was pretty clueless on how to attack the Revs.

The key to this game (and I'll reluctantly give Feldman credit for saying so) was the spacing and quick, accurate passing to move efficiently through the midfield. That allowed us to climb out of a huge possession deficit hole early and reverse it. And, I think we pretty much wore Orlando down chasing the ball in the heat - they got less and less efficient and organized as the game went along.

Also giving Brad F. credit for mentioning that the wicked hot summer in NE has helped the Revs in these road games down south - it makes a huge difference and we weren't beaten down by the heat because our players have gotten used to it.

edcrocker repped this.
  21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree with some of the comments earlier. I didn't expect much from this game with the lineup that Arena put out. But I was happily surprised by how well they played. Tommy Mac's two assists were picture perfect, and Kaptoum's finish was spot-on. Petrovic and the defense were solid (a third straight clean sheet!).

Now, can they build on this performance? It's about that time for the team to get hot.

edcrocker repped this.
  22. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I missed it live, but watching the replay it felt more like Orlando lost the game than we won it. Excepting Kessler's goal it seemed more like Orlando's defense just couldnt get out of their own way, whereas in defense we benefited from good luck and good goal keeping more than stout defending. Ive long thought Orlando have been a disorganized team buoyed by some mystical force hellbent on keeping them above the playoff line, and this game didnt do anything to improve their esteem in my eyes

23. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that vein, I would note that Kaptoum's goal was lightning in a bottle. It was stellar, but 19 times out of 20 he botches that - it's not the sort of goal you can plan. Polster's and Kessler's were both ones that you could strategize out, but the stars simply aligned for Wilf. It was lovely and I'm happy for him, but given that it was the game-turner for us, I wonder we just got lucky on the night.

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal-scorers had one goal between the 3 of them this season prior to this game.

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States