P/I/P Match 22: Revs vs Toronto, Sat 7/30/22 8:00p [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Jul 28, 2022.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    You'd have to think, that if the Revs are really going to make a playoff push, this needs to be win, period. Playing a bad team (though Insigni and Bernadeschi are just coming up to speed), at home, there can be no excuse for not getting all the points.

I'll consider their 4-0 win over Charlotte an aberration (they jumped on Charlotte right off the bat with a flukey goal at 4') for now, but Bradley's 2nd goal came off a sweet feed from Insigni, where they both were on the same page.

Toronto played in the Canada Cup on Tuesday night, with Bernadeschi going the full 90+ and Insigni nearly as much at 88'.

We should be fully rested, but no update yet on Barrero and Bou's availability.

2. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Fabrizio Romano says Jozy's going out on loan.

One would hope Bou will be available.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    And it's match '22', my bad.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed for you.

rkupp repped this.
  5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Rumors on twitter:

Revs finalized the purchase of Brazilian striker Weverton currently at Flamengo and who was at Académica de Coimbra, sources. For Revs II?

and Gyasi Zardes?

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 year old Weverton is listed on TransferMarkt at a 55K value, so I'm guessing RevsII.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the overhype of "new" Toronto will have them ready to drop down a peg:

Power Rankings: Toronto FC surge, Real Salt Lake plunge after Week 22
    By J. Sam Jones
    Tuesday, Jul 26, 2022, 12:00 PM

8. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Gyasi Zardes rumors were a joke.

9. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't find it funny!! :eek: :D

rkupp repped this.
  10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    TFC fan dropping by before the game.

I see us as becoming a far better team, but not yet having become one. I'm not optimistic of our chances on Saturday. If this was one of the last games of the season and the new players had had time to gel, I think it would be a different story. As it is, I predict something like a 2-1 win for the home team.

NFLPatriot and ktsd repped this.
  11. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Thank you for dropping by.

But I fear that my really wanting to believe your prediction has served as me predicting it myself, thereby dooming the home side to some sort of ignominious embarrassment.

Kind Regards,

Superstitious Fan

pwykes repped this.
  12. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    According to mlssocer.com’s Jeff Lemieux, Gustavo Bou might not play tomorrow because of an injury (here). If Bou doesn’t play, should Bruce Arena start Giacomo Vrioni or Justin Rennicks at center forward? I would be inclined to go with Rennicks, with the idea of bringing in Vrioni in the second half. Rennicks has been solid this season and is likely 90 minutes fit. Although I was impressed by what I saw from Vrioni against Columbus (he was active and held the ball well), it sounds like he is not 90 minutes fit yet. But I could understand if Arena were to start Vrioni tomorrow. Vrioni looked very promising against Columbus, and he comes with an impressive resume.

Moreover, according to Lemieux, it sounds like Dylan Borrero will be ready to start tomorrow. So, here is a line-up Arena should consider starting and the players he should consider for the bench:

--------------------------------------------Petrovic----------------------------------------

Bye---------------------------Farrell--------------------Kessler--------------------Jones

-------------------------------McNamara--------------Polster-------------------------------

Lletget---------------------------------------Gil----------------------------------------Borrero

---------------------------------------------Rennicks------------------------------------------------

1. Brad Knighton
    2. Jon Bell
    3. AJ DeLaGarza
    4. Maciel
    5. Ema Boateng
    6. Arnor Traustason
    7. Damian Rivera
    8. Giacomo Vrioni
    9. Omar Gonzalez or Wilfrid Kaptoum

It would be good to see DeJuan Jones cross the ball better. He’s capable of being at least a solid crosser, even with his left foot. But it seems that some of his recent crosses have not been as good as they could be. For instance, some of them haven’t been getting past the first man. Moreover, he has outstanding endurance and good speed, so he often is in position to make a cross. I’d like to see him getting the ball in the danger zone more often.

If Jones thinks he can’t get a cross off, maybe he should instead cut inside and try to beat his man. He’s not a bad dribbler. Among other things, he has some good step-over moves. Or, if he doesn’t have confidence that he can beat his man, perhaps sometimes he should just pull the ball back. But I think he can get more crosses past the first man and put them in a place where they can help the team. He has 5 assists this season and had 5 last season.

Cannons and BERich repped this.
  13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 3-2 home loss to TOR last year was probably the Revs most embarrassing performance of the season, even though they did fight back after falling behind 3-0.

Hopefully they remember that and play accordingly.

Based on nothing but gut feelings, I think Vrioni starts and goes about 60 minutes.

edcrocker repped this.
  14. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Finally Arena sees just how useless Jozy has been. I assume his salary goes with him and Rennicks starts making the bench again?

15. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Love to see Arena put some time into developing Rennicks but Im not holding my breath. I'd settle for having him in the rotation somewhere. As for Bye and Jones..... I'd make it clear to them that unless they learn to cross consistently, they're on thin ice. Last game they were both terrible and its not the first time

16. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I'm not sure I'd take anything from the crossing last game. Who were they trying to aim at? Jozy can't move or jump, Arnot can't shoot, leaving Lletget as the only target. We need to generate some dynamic movements in the box before we start worrying about crossing accuracy

17. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    I'd settle for not passing it to the defender right in front of their faces.

18. superkeeper

superkeeper Member

Jul 9, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else’s video feed look not right watching on cbs?

19. BUSA Bulldog

BUSA Bulldog Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes

superkeeper repped this.
  20. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #20 sean'o, Jul 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    SHOOT! REVS! AND KEEP SHOOTING! STOP DINKING WITH THE BALL IN TORONTO’S 18! SHOOT!

21. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Good 1st half possession. But far too tentative on attack. Get the blood up, Revs, and make this real, for a season-long change!

22. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Continued poor offensive play by Revs at 2/3 of the MLS season. Poorly officiated match. Next?

pwykes repped this.
  23. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has taken me a few hours to collect myself and still I don't even know where to begin with this game so I'm just going to ramble.

Last year's Revs would have taken 3 points in a game like this. The resilience is missing.

What is the GD point of having VAR if it isn't going to overturn something like THAT penalty call? Officiating didn't rob us of points, our play did that. But the officiating has been awful, and tonight was no exception.

Our passing in the final third was terrible tonight on every conceivable level. Sometimes it was because the pass was offline or weighted wrong. Sometimes it was because the runs were lethargic and passive. Other times it was because passing was the wrong decision. The lack of cohesion because of all the injuries and outgoing/incoming players this year has been a point killer all season.

Petrovic is a f-ing beast.

I remain convinced that IF we can see a consistent lineup of something like Gil, Bou, Vrioni, Borrero, Lletget, Polster, Jones, Kessler, Farrell, Bye and Petrovic that this team has the ability to go on a run. We've seen it before - 2020, 2014 and 2002 leap to mind. There's just not a ton of time left to really get going and they can't afford to fall any further behind than they already have. I'd rather make a run from 3rd or 4th place than 6th or 7th, so they need an extended stretch of wins and very few dropped points from here on out. I'm convinced our best 11 can be really good, but I'm not convinced that they'll figure it out in time for this season.

MM66, pwykes, BERich and 1 other person repped this.
  24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ref was horrible, but you can't blame him for only 2 shots of frame (none from strikers) and a xG of only 0.7.

They need Vrioni playing like Buksa, and that is going to take some time, possibly the rest of the season. He had their best chance, and missed the open net. Rennicks works hard, and I'd rather have him out there than Jozy, but he's not a scoring threat.

Farrell and Kessler seem to be back to their old selves (which is a good thing). Farrell makes the occasional mistake, but he has a knack for anticipating the dangerous pass and clearing it.

I liked what I saw from Kaptoum.

My biggest worry is Borrero. I think he has missed more games than he has played (not really, but it seems that way). Hopefully that's a fluke and not a trend. They need him out there.

MOTM: Petrovic, obviously.

edcrocker and pwykes repped this.
  25. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Defensively they were good. Still they were fortunate. Petro bailed them out and Mr. Post came through vs I think it was Bernardeschi. As far as the attack...whenever you're forced to start Tommy Mac, Polster and Kaptoum in the same midfield with Rennicks up front, don't plan on scoring many (if any) goals. Rennicks made the runs, but not once could anyone get him the ball.

Vrioini looks like he could be decent in time, but he had a chance to win the match and fluffed it. The club needs another offense minded midfielder - ideally a winger to add some depth. Insert Borrero into last night's 2nd half lineup and we may have something, but he's missed time and there's nothing behind him.

I thought Toronto may have made a tactical error by not pressing the Revs more. Eventually someone would have coughed the ball up and we'd have gotten burned in transition but for the most part Bradley stayed away from that. Overall the Revs were fortunate. Toronto had the majority of possession for about the last 15 minutes of the match but the D held up this time.

edcrocker repped this.